2010 Ministry of Rum Tasting Competition
The 2010 Ministry of Rum Tasting Competition was held August 5-6, 2010
prior to the San Francisco Bay Rum Festival
which took place at
adjacent to the
Miss Pearl's Jam on Facebook
Waterfront Hotel Facebook
view map here
The judges on Aug 5, 2010 (back row) Dominic Venegas
, Forrest Cokely
, Martin Cate
, Warren Bobrow
, Jacqueline Gréaux
, Chris Braun
, Shirley Copeland
, Frank Jakubka
(front row) Camper English
, Robin Levinthal
, Dave Russell
tasting conducted by Edward Hamilton
photo courtesty Shirley Copeland - Served Raw
- 2010 Ministry of Rum Tasting Competition
- Flavored Rum - Bronze Medal
- Rogue Hazelnut
- Flavored Rum - Silver Medal
- Chairman's Spiced
- The Lash
- Clarke's Court Spicy Rum
- Flavored Rum - Gold Medal
- Castries Rum Creme
- Cruzan 9
- Santa Teresa Araku Ron y Coffee Liqueur
- Santa Teresa Rhum Orange Liqueur
- White Rum - Bronze
- Mount Gay Eclipse Silver Rum
- White Rum - Silver
- Clarke's Court Pure White Rum
- Denizen White
- Santa Teresa Ron Claro
- White Rum - Gold
- Don Q Cristal
- Flor de Caña Extra Dry 4 year old White
- Cachaça - Gold Medal
- Cabana Cachaça
- Agricole - Silver Medal
- La Mauny 1749 Agricole Rum
- Sugar Cane Juice Spirits - Silver
- Agua Libre Dark Rum
- Sugar Cane Juice Spirits - Gold
- Agua Libre 'Fresh Squeezed' Rum
- Dark Rum - Bronze
- Maui Dark Rum
- Gold Miner Dark Rum
- Dark Rum - Silver
- Montanya Oro
- Rogue Dark
- Dark Rum - Gold
- Ron Abuelo Añejo
- Don Q Añejo
- Flor de Caña 4 year old Gold
- Mount Gay Refined Eclipse Barbados Rum
- Santa Teresa Gran Reserva
- Aged Rum - Bronze
- Clarke's Court Old Grog
- Aged Rum - Silver
- Chairman's Reserve
- Flor de Caña Grand Reserve 7 year old
- Santa Teresa Selecto
- Aged Rum - Gold
- Ron Abuelo 7 Años Reserva Superior
- Zaya Gran Reserva Rum
- Premium Rum - Bronze
- Clarke's Court #37
- Premium Rum - Silver
- Cruzan Single Barrel
- Mount Gay Extra Old Barbados Rum
- Santa Teresa 1796
- Premium Rum - Gold
- Ron Abuelo 12 Años
- Botran Añejo Reserva
- Don Q Gran Añejo
- Mount Gay 1703 Old Cask Selection
In this blind tasting, judges are served samples of each rum in uniform tasting glasses. Each spirit is then judged on four qualities: aroma, initial taste, body and finish,
by a panel of between 15 and 30 industry professionals including distillers, mixologists and spirits journalists who have demonstrated their expertise with sugar cane spirits.
Each judge awards points for each of these attributes then gives an overall score of 0 to 100 points for each spirit. The scores for all of the spirits in each category are divided by the highest score.
Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals are awarded according to the natural grouping of the results.
While there are other respected tasting competitions
in the US and Europe,
this is a unique opportunity for Sugar Cane Spirits to
be judged on their own merit
by people who know sugar cane spirits and share their passion with the industy.
Judges include industry professionals including writers, consultants, distillers, importers and distributors.
Here is a partial list of confirmed judges for this competition.
- Warren Bobrow - Morristown, New Jersey - Warren's writing has appeared in Saveur, Edible Jersey, Chutzpah Magazine, Served Raw and is the Editor of the Wild River Review where he writes the Wild Table Column. He whetted his appetite for rum, rhum and ron aboard his family's yacht in the Caribbean.
- Chris Braun - California - During the 20 years Chris spent living and working in France he developed an appreciation for fine libations. He has judged the Los Angeles Wine and Spirits Competition the last three years and works as a wine and spirits broker.
- Martin Cate - San Francisco, California - Creator of Smuggler's Cove in San Francisco, CA, Martin is one of the leading figures in the modern Tiki bar scene. He is presently consulting for rum oriented bars and restaurants across the US.
- Forrest Cokely - Costa Mesa, California - Forrest is a member of the Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet, blogs at A drink with Forrest and is employed at Hi Time Wine Cellars where he writes the spirits pages of their monthly newsletter. He is also an accomplished cocktail designer.
- Shirley Copeland - San Francisco, California - co-founder and managing editor of Served Raw, an online magazine focused on off-the-radar food and drink experiences. Shirley is passionate about crafting original cocktail recipes and hunting down new, rare spirit discoveries.
- Camper English - San Francisco, California - Camper is a cocktail and spirits writer who is the Contributing Spirits Editor for 7x7 Magazine and a regular contributor to the San Francisco Chronicle and Tasting Panel Magazine. His work has been published on three continents. Alcademics
- John Gibbons - Milwaukee, Wisconsin - John Gibbons is an independent spirit ambassador, cocktail enthusiast, and rum collector. He has worked with Bryant's Cocktail Lounge, Bittercube and Great Lakes Distillery. His rum collection has grown to nearly 100 unique rums from all over the world.
- Jacqueline Gréaux - San Quentin, California - Founder of the St Barts Spirits Company and importer of Batiste Rhum Agricole. Growing up on French St Barts, Jacquie grew up around fine food and drink and inherited a passion for rum from her grandfather.
- Frank Jakubka - Livermore, California - For more than 20 years Frank has studied and crafted his knowledge of wine and spirits in the winemaking, hospitality, and sales industry. He enjoys teaching, judging and creating food, wine and spirits and holds the prestigious CSW and WSET A/C certifications.
- Robin Levinthal - Washington - Robin began her adult life studying art through which she discovered her passion for food. Working as a chef in the Caribbean led her to discover rum. A Top Chef contestant, Robin is currently working as a consultant to the food and drink industry. Crave Food
- Jordan Mackay - San Francisco, California - Jordan has written about wines and spirits for a number of magazines including the New York Times, 7 x 7 and a host of other media.
- Dave Russell - California - sailor and co-founder of RnD Rum Reviews.
- Dominic Venegas - San Francisco, California - Dominic is a consultant to the beverage industry who honed his knowledge at the illustrious John Walker and Co retail spirits store.
Cane Spirits are judged for their
aroma, initial taste, body and finish.
In order to limit palate fatigue the tasting competition is divided into four sessions with one break during each session.
During the breaks the judges are encouraged to discuss anything other than the spirits they are tasting during that session.
At least 20 judges at each tasting session ensures that no one or two judges can influence the results and that each spirit is judged on its own merit.
None of the judges are compensated for their travel or accommodation expenses during the competition.
There are no corporate sponsors for this competition. Edward Hamilton and the Ministry of Rum are solely responsible for the competition and the results.
2009 Ministry of Rum Tasting Competition - Miami results
2008 Ministry of Rum Tasting Competition - New Orleans results
2007 Ministry of Rum Tasting Competition - New Orleans results
2006 International Cane Spirits Tasting Competition - Ybor City results
Add your name to the Ministry of Rum Tasting Competition Mailing List