MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

265 years ago in 1749, La Mauny was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
CraigH

Default Help! Turning Lemon Hart 151° into 80°

The only Lemon Hart (and the only Demerara rum period) that's distributed in the area that I reside (the Cincinnati, Ohio/ Northern Kentucky area) is the Lemon Hart 151 (I know, poor me, right?). Problem is that I need far more of 80° Demerara rum for everyday use, and I'm tired of mail ordering it. It's my understanding that the 80° LH Demerara is nothing but the 151° that's been diluted by the addition of distilled water to bring it down to 40% abv. So I want to take the LH 151 that I can buy locally and dilute it with distilled water down to 80°. Can someone help me with my math regarding how much water to add to a 750ml bottle of 151 in order to bring it down to 80 proof?

If I'm calculating correctly, dividing 75.5 (the abv of the 151) by 40 (abv of the 80 proof) = 1.88. That's 88%.

Multiplying 25.5 (ounces in a standard 750ml bottle) by 88% = 22.35.

So would adding 22.35 ounces of distilled water to a 750 bottle of LH 151 yield me a bottle of standard 80 proof Lemon Hart?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Craig
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

That is very close Craig,. If it was 160 proof, twice what you see on your store shelves, you could just add 750ml to reduce the alcohol by half. But since this is ((151/80 *750)-750)/29.57 ml/ounce = 22.5 ounces.

How the water is added is important. You could just add this in a larger bottle and shake it up, but I would suggest adding an ounce every few hours and stirring it as you go. This is a chemical reaction.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried both methods.

It doesn't look good for getting Lemon Hart 80 any time soon in the US.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
CraigH

Thanks for the kind reply Ed.

I just read Doug's post at The Pegu Blog discussing this very subject, and he mentions that the type of water used is very important. Would soft, hard, distilled, spring, mineral etc best be used here?

Cheers,

Craig
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

My water of choice would be limestone filtered water like that found in Kentucky. I would avoid anything with chlorine in it such as most municipal water. Deionized is good, but the real test is to try it and taste it. Then you will taste the differences for yourself. Definitely avoid hard water from a municipal supply.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #5
CraigH

I making an update to my original post. I experimented with diluting a small sample of LH151 and the results are highly encouraging.

I picked up a new bottle of LH151 at The Party Source in Northern Kentucky today. I've added .8oz of bottled spring water to 1oz of LH151 and shook it in a shaker to mix. I'm trying the diluted LH it against some ElDo5 right now, and frankly the diluted LH blows the ElDo5 away in terms of sheer flavor. Where the ElDo5 has significant sweetness but lacks smokiness and richness, the diluted LH has smoke, spice, and the rich sweetness of classic Demerara rum on the finish. I can't wait to try this in a Navy Grog.

The water is slightly detectable in the diluted LH151, and the Eldo5 has a slightly better mouthfeel, but I think that when the LH & water are mixed correctly (slowly, a little bit at a time, and stirred as per Ed Hamilton's directions above) the result will be a more than acceptable replacement for standard Demerara in my cocktails.

I'm going to take half the bottle of LH151 and incorporate the bottled spring water into a decanter very slowly over the next couple of days. I'll post the results after this weekend's round of cocktails.

Cheers,

Craig
Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
Jwilly019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigH View Post
The water is slightly detectable in the diluted LH151, and the Eldo5 has a slightly better mouthfeel, but I think that when the LH & water are mixed correctly (slowly, a little bit at a time, and stirred as per Ed Hamilton's directions above) the result will be a more than acceptable replacement for standard Demerara in my cocktails.

I'm going to take half the bottle of LH151 and incorporate the bottled spring water into a decanter very slowly over the next couple of days. I'll post the results after this weekend's round of cocktails.

Cheers,

Craig
I would attribute the detection of the water to the placebo effect more than anything else. However, if it were any other factor, I would lean toward aeration due to shaking the bottle. If adding water slowly, over time, made a noticeable difference, surely some craft rum distillery would already be touting the fact that they employ such a technique.

I would suggest simply adding the water, giving it a quick stir, and then let it rest for a few days in order to mingle. Perhaps sampling once a day in order to determine if you can notice a difference.
Jwilly019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
CraigH

One last update on this subject,

I have confirmed the findings from my experiment in the above post with diluting the LH151, and confirmed it in spades. I diluted half the new bottle of LH151 that I bought this week, adding the water slowly, 2 ounces at a time, over the course of 2 days, stirring as I blended as Ed suggested. I let the finished product rest for a day, and it is, well, simply incredible. There's ZERO diluted taste, and the flavor simply tops ElDo5 by a wide margin. Here are a couple of pictures of the 3 Dems for comparison; Eldo5, the diluted LH151 (in the decanter), and the full throttle LH151. Note the color differences in the 3 Dems, particularly how pale the ElDo5 is by comparison to the diluted LH:

I made a Navy Grog with the "diluted" LH tonight, it's the BEST Navy Grog that I've ever had (and I've had many Navy Grogs!). From here on out I only buy the LH151 and dilute it, at least until the LH80 hits the American market again. Aside from the wonderful flavor, the best part is the price; the 750ml equivalent price for the "diluted" LH is $13.25. With shipping I was paying nearly $19 for ElDo5.

Cheers,

Craig

Last edited by CraigH; 02-11-2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Pictures
Old 02-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Edward Hamilton
Founder

You are making me thirsty just looking at those bottles of rum. And it's just past 8 in the morning here in Chicago.

Thanks for taking the time to experiment, take pictures and share with the forums. I don't know when LH80 will be back in the US market but I can tell you that it will cost more than $13.25.
Ministry of Rum

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions