MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

153 years ago in 1861, Le Galion S.A.E.M. (Martinique) was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

White Rums

Whether you call them, clear, silver, white or simple 'see through' how do you drink them?

Old 09-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #51
Edoc

Default $15 for Oronocco here in NJ

Lovely for the price. You have to like vanilla, though, since it's the predominant flavor.
Edoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:52 AM   #52
primate77

I'm finding the Oronoco popping up in various stores in the Chicago area and even Central Illinois. The prices vary wildly from a low of $31 a bottle to a high of about $46.

I bought a bottle for the $31 and pretty much I feel like this rum tastes like a cheap vanilla vodka. Not all that great.

Bummer.
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #53
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matusalem View Post
Curious,

Have any of my fellow enthusiasts bought and opened any Oronoco recently? If so, hows it tasting these days? I'd especially be appreciative if I could hear from someone who's followed it from earlier on to now.

I haven't bought in quite a while and have been out for a few months now.
Thanks for raising the question Matusalem. I was under the weather recently and neglected to report the result of comparison tasting of two bottles of Oronoco of different vintage, with production dates of 04 APR 2007 and 21 JAN 2009.

Although the newer edition has some elements similar to the older bottling, it is much less complex with little of the original smoothness and considerably more alcohol burn. The older bottling was a delicious, fine sipper with a delightful complex nose and taste, but the newer version, lacking the intriguing nose and flavor, has been consigned solely to mixing duties. The older version fared very well in a comparison of a few aged whites (it was clearly the best sipper), but the newer kind was at or near the bottom in everyone's estimation.

The prices seen in recent months are inviting, but please be advised that, in our estimation, it is no longer worth a price near list. With El Dorado 3 year old white readily available for $15.49, Oronoco may even be a bit overpriced at half of list.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #54
Michael

The lack of a response to my previous post gave me pause, but Ed's new information about the change in the aged component of Oronoco may confirm my suspicion that Diageo has been cutting cost on this product, to the detriment of the rum within.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #55
Matusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The lack of a response to my previous post gave me pause, but Ed's new information about the change in the aged component of Oronoco may confirm my suspicion that Diageo has been cutting cost on this product, to the detriment of the rum within.
Sorry, Michael. I hadn't noticed you responded.

Thanks for the hypothesis as well. At the time I asked, I had suspicions. A shame if that's the case.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #56
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I'm not sure and would be reluctant to say that Diageo is trying to further reduce their cost of production at the expense of quality. As the world's largest liquor company they own production in both Jamaica and Venezuela.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #57
Michael

As mentioned in another thread, I'll try to be more circumspect in the future. We'll assume that it might be a short term anomaly and part of a learning process for Diageo. We'll hope for better things in the future.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #58
Matusalem

Likewise, when I said I had my suspicions, it was meant that I suspected there had been a change in taste (regardless of what Diageo is or isn't doing). However, my conclusion was formed more so on the responses of other first timers. By first timers I mean with the product, most of these individuals have what we might say is fairly educated palates.

I used to recommend Oronoco and I notice earlier, the returns were - "Great advice". Over time, that kind of eroded to - "Not bad" or "Why not brand X for cheaper".

Meantime, I sought the advice of others here because there were a couple of fire sales on Oronoco and I had been out for a while. I did pick up a couple of bottles I'm yet to open.

That said, and my admitted inability to discard all logic, I'd have to say the sudden drop in price coupled with the drop in enthusiasm, which pretty much is in line with Michael's report, hasn't raised my expectations.

Real point being I might have picked up 4 or 6 bottles were I confident the juice in the bottle would be similar to prior product.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #59
Straightsippin

Greetings, folks. My first post.

A few days ago after reading various posts I got interested in white rum for sipping neat or on ice. I always sip the dark. This forum a great place for research.

As I was reading this thread I couldn't wait to get to Shopper's Vineyard (I live in the same city)... until I read the last few posts. SV has Oronoco for 14.99 now, but I'm curious if anyone has determined if the current stock is indeed a lower quality.

I had a bottle in my hand, but chose to buy 10 Cane instead because the hang tag said the NY Times rated it #1. And it was made from virgin first-pressing sugar cane.

Their bottle tag says it's a decadence not possible with molasses. I'm sipping it now and I disagree.

But not terrible. I won't buy 10 Cane again.

Any further news on Oronoco?

Thanks. Glad to be here.

Last edited by Straightsippin; 05-14-2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: wrong word
Straightsippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #60
young0076

Picked me up a bottle of Oronoco at ABC for $24. Usually its over $30 on base, either it was on sale, didn't see a sign, or a misprint, either way, its on my shelf, and very good.
young0076 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums