MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

6 years ago in 2008, Montanya Distillers was established in Silverton, Colorado.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Rum in food recipes
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum in food recipes

Rum isn't just to be poured in a glass. There are a number of ways rum can enhance your table.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Lew Barrett

Default Making rum extract

Question:

Does anybody have the trick for making really good rum extract for use in baking or candy making? Is it a matter of simply and carefully reducing your favorite rum or is there any technique that retains the flavor better than another.

A batch of reduced Bacardi (it was terrible to begin with, so I tried to salvage a bad situation by making a reduction) simply resulted in a revolting and moderately syrupy concoction, with little flavor at all. The reduction I made was dramatic, boiling perhaps 2 cups down to a couple of tablespoons, Perhaps it's because the Bacardi Gold which was a handle left by some guests who knew I liked rum! was so flaccid to begin with? I sacrificed it in the name of science but the experiment was a complete failure. Even the bad flavors boiled off, leaving a tablespoon's worth of nada!

Your help is appreciated! I want to create a concentrated rum flavored essence that can be used as one would vanilla or almond extract. Maybe just buy commercially? But what fun is that!
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Vigorously boiling any spirit will leave what you describe, at best. Commercial rum flavors contain fusel oils and other things that are boiled off when you boil rum too fast. On the other hand something like Bacardi Gold probably isn't going to make a good reduction since it is so light initially.

Commercial rum reductions are commonly made from heavier components but without the alcohol content of rum.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Lew Barrett

It sounds as if a commercial product might be the easiest solution, then but we were hoping to use premium stuff.

Presuming I want to use one of my better bottles, I take it that adding the rum at the end of the cooking process would be the most efficient way to obtain flavor, then?

The issue becomes complex because we're making caramel at home, and the stuff is tricky, responding to small variations in heat, moisture and temperature. It would be nice to have a reliable, concentrated essence.
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
mammel

Default extract & cordial recipe from Vanilla.com

This is taken as a direct copy from the www.vanilla.com website. I havent tried it, but it makes sense.

Good luck

How to Make Vanilla Extract and Cordials

Homemade extract is easy and fun to make. It isn't as strong as commercial vanilla extracts but it may have a somewhat fuller flavor than extracts from the market. But the real pleasure is in making it.

It doesn't matter which alcohol you choose for making extract - it's more a question of which alcohol you prefer. Vodka has the least flavor to interfere with the taste of the vanilla. Because rum is sweet, it's the best for making cordials, and vanilla brandy is lovely to pour over freshly baked cakes or to add to stewed winter fruits.

You can also add additional spices to the alcohol to make a spiced rum, vodka or brandy. In Reunion, Madagascar, and the Caribbean countries, most families have their own spiced rum blends that they serve for sipping. Sometimes medicinal herbs are added to the alcohol and used for coughs or stomach ailments.

For gift making, decant the extract into unusual bottles, add one vanilla bean to each bottle and attach a label and voilа, yo, you have a very attractive gift.

I sometimes tie a couple of extra beans to the bottle with raffia and include directions for making more extract.

You can also turn your homemade extract into a vanilla cordial for a truly unique and elegant gift that will be greatly appreciated as it's used.

Directions

Split five vanilla beans lengthwise down the center to expose the seeds, keeping the ends of the beans intact. Place beans in a pint of high-quality vodka, rum or brandy. Store in a cool, dark place such as a cupboard or closet for at least four weeks. Shake the bottle several times a week.

To use, either remove four of the beans for another purpose (you can add them with a fresh bean to make more extract, or you can use them for cooking), or let all the beans remain in the bottle, and periodically, add more alcohol to keep the bottle replenished. Eventually the beans will lose their strength but they should contain flavor for many months.

Vanilla Cordial

Follow the above directions for making extract. When the extract is at least four weeks old, remove the beans from the bottle and place in a medium saucepan. Add 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue to boil about 3 minutes more, stirring occasionally.

Pour the syrup through the sieve lined with fresh cheesecloth into a clean bottle. Next, pour the extract through the sieve into the bottle. Add a vanilla bean to the bottle if desired. Allow the cordial to mellow at least one week before using. If you want a cordial that isn't quite this strong, double the amount of simple syrup.
mammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
It would be nice to have a reliable, concentrated essence.
Sorry I missed this post Lew. There are a few rum essences on the market. A quick Google search should yield something that you can find from a supplier that will ship to you.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Rum in food recipes