MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

126 years ago in 1893, the West Indies Rum Refinery was founded on Barbados.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Cachaça
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Cachaça

The Brazilian sugar cane spirit all its own

Old 12-03-2007, 04:16 AM   #11
Johnniesworld

Send a message via Skype™ to Johnniesworld
Default Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiare View Post
I canґt find any cachaca here in my country, but I got a bottle cachaca extra with a deliverance of a rum purchased from Ebay in Germany, its labeled Jamel. I don`t have any idea if its considered a good or less good cachaca? I have made a few nice batidas with this one.
I also got a bottle of xiboquinha and after investingating it it really reminds me of a sort of falernum-like thing..but made with cachaca. It contains cachaca, lime juice,honey,and syrup made with cinnamon, herbs and cloves.
Hi,

Sagatiba is not yet available in Sweden although it is available in Norway through a company called Podium Wines ( www.podiumwines.no ). I've not heard of Jamel or Xiboquinha! And I was in Brasil last week testing cachaзas!

I hope that is helpful?!

Regards,

JOHN GAKURU
john@sagatiba.com | www.sagatiba.com
Johnniesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #12
Tiare

Hi, I found this website: http://www.xiboquinha.com.br/
I don`t think its considered a cachaca, its more a spice and herbal blend made with cachaca. Its drunken neat or as a base in cocktails.
It has a strong taste of cloves.
Here you can read about jamel :http://www.jamel.com.br/ig/p.brasil.php
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
Chuck E. Mong

Send a message via ICQ to Chuck E. Mong Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck E. Mong

I just read an article in the Boston Herald (can't find an online copy in their archives) from 1/16/08 called "Sugar Daddies - Hub duo brings Brazil's cachaca to hometown". It's about two guys who visited Brazil and are starting to bring a brand called "Beija" to the Boston area. In the article it says "... will roll out Beija, designated by the U.S. government's Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau as the world's first 'virgin cane rum'." It sounds like they made the brand. Do you really think the goverment researches this claim?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #14
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Apparently the TTB has made a new spirit designation Virgin Cane Rum.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #15
The Rum Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiare View Post
I canґt find any cachaca here in my country, but I got a bottle cachaca extra with a deliverance of a rum purchased from Ebay in Germany, its labeled Jamel. I don`t have any idea if its considered a good or less good cachaca? I have made a few nice batidas with this one.
I also got a bottle of xiboquinha and after investingating it it really reminds me of a sort of falernum-like thing..but made with cachaca. It contains cachaca, lime juice,honey,and syrup made with cinnamon, herbs and cloves.
There is a guy called Ben Frost who is based in Leeds, England. he imports a cachaca called Brasillia. This is actually Jamel, just repackeaged for export. So if you can't get your Jamel, then pick up a bottle of Brasillia when you're in London for RumFest. It's a sweet cachaca because they have added more than 6grams of sugar per litre to their spirit.

UK RUMFEST...The Rum Experience
London, England
24th-25th October 2009
www.rumfest.co.uk
The Rum Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #16
Tiare

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rum Ambassador View Post
There is a guy called Ben Frost who is based in Leeds, England. he imports a cachaca called Brasillia. This is actually Jamel, just repackeaged for export. So if you can't get your Jamel, then pick up a bottle of Brasillia when you're in London for RumFest. It's a sweet cachaca because they have added more than 6grams of sugar per litre to their spirit.
I have a bottle of Jamel in my home bar which is half full now, so its the same as the Brasilia? I bought my Jamel from Germany.

PS:Your avartar made me laugh..

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #17
Edward Hamilton
Founder

You are absolutely right most Cachaça is rum under the US and EU definition of my favorite spirit. In Brazil, Cachaça must made from fresh sugar cane juice, distilled to less than 54% alcohol by volume and bottled at between 38 and 48% alcohol. But in the US, rum must be bottled at not less than 40% alcohol by volume, so some cachaças aren't rum under the US definition.

The distillation proof is also one of the defining differences between rhum agricole and cachaça, rhum agricole is typically distilled to about 72% abv, but not more than 75% abv.

In Jamaica rums are commonly distilled to much more than 150 proof, which if made from molasses would be a very tough drink. Most are bottled at less than 150 proof, but diluted after distillation.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:18 PM   #18
Chuck E. Mong

Send a message via ICQ to Chuck E. Mong Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck E. Mong

I've recently become a fan of Cachaзa da Roзa after my local store got it in for some Brazilian customers. I drink my rum in sips chased with Coke. After the Coke goes down the next breath (in my way of thinking) gives the essence of the spirit to the tastebuds. I think it would be good in mixed drinks. It comes in a full liter bottle for $12.99.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #19
GregH

Default Confused

I'm a little confused by the legal definition of cachaca and the marketing used by artisanal cachaca makers. For example, on the Liquidity company site, a company which imports Germana cachaca, they state that Germana cachaca is distilled between 38-57% alcohol and that, after aging, the product is cut to 43% for bottling. If this information is accurate, does it not disqualify Germana from being a cachaca? Is it not then legally in Brasil an aguardiente (instead of a cachaca). Another question. Mae de Ouro (and I think Gabriela) describe the production of non artisanal cachaca as being the result of distilling to a high proof and then cutting with water, adding sugar etc...Can the products they are describing actually be sold/marketed as cachaca in Brasil? Is this an accurate description of the production of a product like P51, or is it merely an attempt to associate large cachaca companies with the questionable products you might get at a corner shop?
GregH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #20
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to confusion corner. Even after talking to every cachaca distiller, importer and marketer I can find there is very little agreement on anything and when I ask if they can call their product cachaca since they tell me it is distilled to more than 48% abv I've yet to get an answer.

So, until I can get some straight answers I'll join the confused consumer corner and wait to hear from someone who will tell what is going on. I appreciate that everyone wants to differentiate themselves from the crowd and that cachaca isn't defined in markets other than Brazil so I don't expect this to be easy, but I'll continue to try to be patient sipping my first cocktail of the day.
Ministry of Rum

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Cachaça