MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

15 years ago in 2005, Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy built the 10 Cane distillery in Trinidad.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #21
Duffman

To date, my greatest disappointment was laying down $75 for Pyrat XO (it's not cheap up here!). I had heard so may good things about it on this site, but when I actually tasted it, the rum was less than agreeable.

It tasted like a mixute of apricot liquer and Ir'n Bru. Needles to say, when a pal was in Texas and offered to pick me up a bottle for $30, I politely declined and requested Zaya 12.

Duff
Old 08-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #22
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I feel, or taste, your pain Duffman. My guess is that the bottle of Pyrat you bought in Canada was from a batch blended at least a couple of years ago. Like too many, private label, blended rums, Pyrat has been reinvented several times in the last ten years. While I'm not going to say that Pyrat XO is going to become your new favorite rum, the next time you're in the states and in a bar that sells a lot of Pyrat you might find that the more recent blend is more to your liking.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #23
Jack

Send a message via AIM to Jack

I'm personally not a great fan of Zacapa 23, I just find it a bit too sweet, I much prefer Zaya for its dryer notes. Or Pampero Anneversario, much better. Havana 15 is also way overpriced, Havana Cuban Barrel Proof is much better value, for me its the best of the range. Similarly with El Dorado, whilst I like the 12yr, I find it just a bit too sweet, I'll stick to the 15yr thanks
Old 08-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #24
noskos

On my last trip to London I purchased a bottle of Sailor Jerry's. I was really looking forward to try this rum, but don't care for it at all. The lime is way to overpowering for me. Even mixed the lime just takes over.
Now I use it in my cooking
noskos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:07 AM   #25
gatomalo

Thanks to resources like the MOR, I've made very few disappointing buys. However, there are a couple which stand out. The first is Matusalem Gran Reserva 15 Solera, which I find does not come anywhere near to justifying its hype. I find it to be okay, but at the same time far too one-dimensional for a rum of this price bracket. Maybe it's just the style that I find dull, but I expected a lot more.

My second disappointment was the Santa Teresa Selecto. I have the old pomegranate/grenade bottle, which is probably one of the greatest rum bottles out there (the new bottle is boring in comparison). However, the vanilla flavour in this rum was way too much for me, so I don't enjoy sipping it. Maybe it is a rum which is not intended to be sipped, but I bought it under the mistaken belief that it could be. It mixes ok, but it's so far down my list that it rarely gets used. It's one purchase I probably won't be repeating.
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:15 PM   #26
Ruminsky Van Drunkenberg

I don't have many "dust gatherers" on what I loosely term "The Shelf", but the Pyrat's XO is definitely one of them. What a waste of fifty bucks. If I wanted a liqueur, that's what I would have bought, not a rum masquerading as one. What a dreadfully overpowering orange/apricot nose.

Close runner up is the Bundaberg, which is so far away from my conception of what a rum is that I was quite happy to put it away after writing up my initial review. Maybe one day I'll go back to it and try it in some cocktails, but as a straight sip...no chance.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #27
lesist

Send a message via Skype™ to lesist

I couldn't agree more!!!
But to be fair.. Bundaberg Gold Rum 37,5% is the worst thing I ever ever had... not in terms of rum but also in terms of a spirit itself!!
Pyrat XO can be useful as a mixer in a Mai Tai or some other cocktails... but never ever as a sipper! Just my 2 cents!

Exactly my 2 letdowns aswell!
lesist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #28
und ne Buddel Rum

I was quite disappointed of the Pyrat XO. Espected more than just an extract of heaps of orange peel in alcohol. Doesn't tast like rum at all. But is ok as an additive for mulled wine and the bottle will last a while.

Björn

Last edited by und ne Buddel Rum; 01-16-2011 at 04:36 AM.
und ne Buddel Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #29
Jamie76

I guess I have been lucky as all the rums I've tried thus far have not been disappointing. That being said, I like to try all rums I buy either on the rocks or neat. I tried this with Myers dark rum and was thoroughly disappointed. A great mixer, but I couldn't handle the taste otherwise.
Jamie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #30
Wizzion

I didn't like player's gold. It was a cheap rum anyway.
Wizzion is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions