MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

271 years ago in 1749, La Mauny was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #11
JMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
I am very rapidly discovering that the age of a rum has no direct bearing on how much I like it. I prefer Zacapa 15 to 23, I believe I have a newly discovered preference for 1919 over 1824 (which occupied the pinnacle of my preferences just a few months ago) and I'm a Cruzan SB fan as well.

Can't say which I prefer in the ED line yet because there are more I need to try. It may go line to line, but age ain't everything.
I agree. I like the FDC 7 better than the 12 for sipping. The 5 and 4 year make great mixers.

The El Dorado 12 I think is better than the 15. The 5 year also makes great cocktails and is a good red herring to keep guests out of my 'secret stash'
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #12
KINGSTON

I agree that age doesn't always mean it's better. Same as in Cigars. Their are cigars in my collection that are great at release. Some are great 8 years later. I've had a few 10 years plus that do not please my palate. Some also say that a year in the Caribbean is like 3 years in Europe.
KINGSTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #13
krustykrab

Default tasting and a surprise

Did a tasting of the full line up from Cruzan this past weekend (having just aquired a bunch of them from my trip)

I won't post much in the way of notes yet as I don't feel comfortable with my abilities, much beyond I like this because... don't care for this because...

Anyway, I've had the 2yo light and dark for a while as I like these as my general mixing rums for cocktails. They are of good quality and lend themselves well to the cocktails I've made.

The Estate Diamond and Single Barrel were excellent - I liked them both very much. Perhaps the ED was a bit smoother even, but they were different from each other and both quite good.

I also tried the Clipper 120proof and blackstrap. The clipper was quite harsh I expect due to the higher abv, but even diluted with a splash of water was still pretty harsh I thought. It will be ok for floaters or other times I need a higher proof perhaps. Now the blackstrap came as a big surprise - wasn't expecting much, kinda just picked it up to have a really dark rum in my collection, for drinks that called for it etc, but even neat, it was superb. It was very drinkable, quite smooth with a variety of tastes going on. I quite liked it!

Any thoughts on the Cruzan line up? Anybody ever been to the distillery? (besides Ed, of course...!)
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #14
Rumpelteazer

I think the Estate Diamond and Single Barrel are both very good rums. The flavors are quite similar. About the only difference I find is the SB is slightly smoother for drinking neat. With the SB costing double the ED (at least in Pennsylvania) I find myself drinking much more of the ED, and saving the SB for an occasional treat.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #15
RumBarPhilly

I love the Black Strap... By itself, with some ice, with some cola, over some ice cream, or in my Wheaties!
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #16
Lew Barrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumBarPhilly View Post
I love the Black Strap... By itself, with some ice, with some cola, over some ice cream, or in my Wheaties!
Adam,
I'm a big fan of Single Barrel, though I have noticed the variations bottle to bottle as others have. It's one of my top 10.
On the other hand, I've read mixed () reviews on BS (double) though. So, is it more like a flavored rum to be viewed as a novelty, a specialty rum that is like an alcoholic syrup, or an enjoyable rum in it's own right? I suppose I should just take the plunge and decide for myself, eh?
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #17
krustykrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
Adam,
I'm a big fan of Single Barrel, though I have noticed the variations bottle to bottle as others have. It's one of my top 10.
On the other hand, I've read mixed () reviews on BS (double) though. So, is it more like a flavored rum to be viewed as a novelty, a specialty rum that is like an alcoholic syrup, or an enjoyable rum in it's own right? I suppose I should just take the plunge and decide for myself, eh?
I thought it was a quite enjoyable rum to be enjoyed in it's own right! When I drank it neat, I was very suprised at how drinkable, smooth and complex it was. Very tasty!
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #18
RumBarPhilly

Lew, Black Strap is one of our more popular rums to sell neat. Im sure there is tons of burnt caramel added into it, as the rum has a nice sweetness, uncharacteristic of black strap molasses. Its only $17 here in PA, very much worth the money.
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #19
Lew Barrett

Adam,
I had to run an errand of friendship today for a bottle of Lemon Hart. The friend knows who he is

Anyway, while I was at my local den of iniquity purveyor (the State of Washington!), I happened upon a bottle of Black Strap for $14.95, and being a person who can withstand anything but temptation..... And you know the rest of the story!

Film at eleven!

Last edited by Lew Barrett; 03-03-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:20 PM   #20
bluewave6

I too really enjoy the Blacl Strap. Was not expecting much considering it is around $10 in the stores in my area. I was really surprised at how good it was mixed with a lime wedge over ice. Should give it a try...opens up a whole new spectrum of flavors that I find are missed neat.
bluewave6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions