MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

136 years ago in 1883, the production of sugar from sugar beets equaled the production of sugar from sugar cane for the first time.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #1
tebow2harvin

Default Which is better straight Original captain morgan or 100 Proof or Private Stock

I buy captain morgan orginal spiced rum to add to cola. But sometimes I wish I didnt spend so much money on something that 95% of the time Im just going to mix. Dont get me wrong captain morgan doesnt taste bad straight its just I wish it could hold its own against some of my other rums on the rocks.

Alas one of my other rum loving buddies told me about Captain Morgan 100 Proof. He tells me it is smoother and sweeter with more drinkability than the original. He also tells me you really cant tell the difference when mixed with cola. So I come here to this forum asking this:
Which is better on the rocks? 100 proof or Original? Also what about private stock?

My personal preference is Sweet and Smooth

None of my buddies have tried private stock but Im considering that as well
tebow2harvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebow2harvin View Post
I buy captain morgan orginal spiced rum to add to cola. But sometimes I wish I didnt spend so much money on something that 95% of the time Im just going to mix. Dont get me wrong captain morgan doesnt taste bad straight its just I wish it could hold its own against some of my other rums on the rocks.

Alas one of my other rum loving buddies told me about Captain Morgan 100 Proof. He tells me it is smoother and sweeter with more drinkability than the original. He also tells me you really cant tell the difference when mixed with cola. So I come here to this forum asking this:
Which is better on the rocks? 100 proof or Original? Also what about private stock?

None of my buddies have tried private stock but Im considering that as well
Captain Morgan on the rocks is not the worst thing you could drink. When the ice melts a bit, it gets a little more interesting. The 100 is their answer to Sailor Jerry. It's a bit hotter and richer, not necessarily smoother. The Private Stock has a lot more barrel flavor, but does not compare to the richness of the Gosling Old Rum, which improves over Gosling's quite a bit with age.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:40 AM   #3
Rum Runner Imports

I can't offer a specific opinion, as anything from Cpt. Morgan's is on my 10 foot pole list. (ie. not even with a)

However, if you go to the search tab, and put Cpt Morgan's, 100 proof etc... You'll find a long list of previous discussions with all matter of opinion.

This is good protocol for all your questions: search them first... If your curiosity is not satisfied then start your own thread.

Welcome and Happy Hunting.
Rum Runner Imports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #4
tebow2harvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post
Captain Morgan on the rocks is not the worst thing you could drink. When the ice melts a bit, it gets a little more interesting. The 100 is their answer to Sailor Jerry. It's a bit hotter and richer, not necessarily smoother. The Private Stock has a lot more barrel flavor, but does not compare to the richness of the Gosling Old Rum, which improves over Gosling's quite a bit with age.
I assumed it was smoother when my friend said it was sweeter. Usually in my opinion the sweeter rum is the easier it is to put down the hatch My fault for assuming.

I dont buy captain morgan to drink straight per say but due to my procrastination problem and the fact I drink rum straight about 5X more than I do with cola or OJ, I run out of my first choices quicker and Im left with Captain Morgan.

Again I dont mind it straight (and its definitely not the worst. that IMO goes to bacardi Gold. Because of Bacardi Gold I've vowed never to drink anything bearing the Bacardi name again.) Just trying to get the best bang for my buck. If I can have something to mix and taste GREAT straight that would be fantastic. Plus no rum collection is complete without the captain IMO.

(Also would like to reiterate that I dont really fall in line with a lot of rum enthusiasts Ive met out there. I tend to stick with the sweeter rums...maybe thats the reason I like captain)

Last edited by tebow2harvin; 11-07-2008 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
gatomalo

Quote:
Because of Bacardi Gold I've vowed never to drink anything bearing the Bacardi name again.
Don't discount Bacardi 8! It's a very good rum and far removed from Bacardi's other products.

Unfortunately, I can't offer any help with the Captain Morgan's question as I've never really enjoyed any of their rums.
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Guarapo

agree about Bacardi 8.. seriously underrated. As for the good old Captain. It's not my ideal rum, but try it long with tonic .. a rather fine drink! (Steer clear of Tattoo tho!)
Guarapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
black_strap

I just bought some 100 last night for the first time.

I'm still not impressed. I certainly prefer it over the original Captain, but its aroma and taste are mostly of alcohol, not actual flavor. I imagine it would be quite good in cola, though, where only its best parts come to the forefront and it worst parts are washed in cola. It is indeed sweeter than the original, and perhaps a bit smoother, which isn't saying much in terms of smoothness.

I used to be a big fan of Captain Morgan Private Stock until I realized that I could buy better rum for cheaper. Private Stock is damn smooth, and quite spicy, but unfortunately Captain Morgan usually assumes that "spice" means "vanilla". Anyway, you might wanna try it... it is sweet, but its sweetness tastes very artificial, with a strange aftertaste... it just doesn't taste like a fine rum.

Honestly, what gets me is the price of Captain products. Private Stock is about 20 dollars around here... I could start rattling off other rums of the same price that I'd rather drink.

Just between us, man, if you like a really smooth and sweet rum, drop the Private Stock, take the money, add about 15 bucks to it, and buy some Pyrat XO, one of the best rums you'll have.
black_strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
tebow2harvin

As for Barcardi 8 I shall try it if I come across it. If I like it I shall buy it.

And I do have a little bit of Pyrat XO left in my collection and I agree with you. Great product.

I definitely agree with you about the aroma of original captain. I wish the alcohol smell didnt overtake the smell of the rum. Can only imagine what 100 proof smells like But then again this is the reason I buy captain to mix in Cola and OJ (And I shall try it in some other drinks as well it seems)
Old 11-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
black_strap

If you still care to mix with cola, then I believe the 100 will be a better choice for you in the future.
black_strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
tigerber

Quote:

So I come here to this forum asking this:

100 proof is better than original. EVEN the unimpressive Sailor Jerry's is better than original.

Ppl seem to think the vanilla taste to Private Stock is fakier than the orange liquer taste to Pyrat, which just isn't the case. Before the end of my 1st bottle of Pyrat XO, I was slightly nauseated by it. I love the bottle though and refill it with Private Stock. Yo, ho, ho.

Don't just look HERE, but many other sites give PS it's due. If you like 'sweet and smooth', PS is hard to beat for the price...

At any rate, I am a 'sweet and smooth' type and have yet to get any dependable recommendations! (hint)

Lots of good drinking around, but none more 'sweet and smooth' for the price!

Last edited by tigerber; 06-02-2009 at 01:30 AM.
tigerber is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions