MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

129 years ago in 1890, Compañia Licorera de Nicaragua, SA was established in Nicaragua.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
lbascones

Smile Hello fellow rum lovers

Hello all,

Since I've been a long time reader but never made a posting, I figured I would introduce myself.

My name is Luis. I was born and raised in Venezuela and am now living in Massachusetts, USA. What I do so far from my tropics, I have no idea - especially during these (still) cold months. Mind you, anything below 75 is rated as cold in my thermometer.

I was fortunate enough to come to age in a place where great rums are produced and therefore a very cheap . As a matter of fact, I grew up in Maracay, a city about 60 miles SW from Caracas, and just a few miles from Haciendas Sta. Teresa - where Santa Teresa rums are made. I use to drive by about twice per week, and watch the cycle of planting, growing, burning and harvesting the sugar cane season after season.

In any case, rum options as I grew up were pretty limited to local brands, and I got to know them quite well during my college years, if you get my drift . It wasn't until I moved to the US - some 15 years ago - that I started exploring other options, and, man, there is some great stuff out there.

Up here in MA it seems like the single-malt thing still has a strong grip. Nevertheless, I have taken it upon myself to educate people here at work on the wonders of the noblest of all spirits; and boy, have they been surpised about the variety and amazing subtlety of many of the rums available. Probably about once per month I hold a little get-together in my office and sample a few rums, or make a few good cocktails for those who are not into neat spirits. These meetings and the rums profiled have been a hit.

Those of you working in companies where this sort of thing can be done should try doing the same. It's really worth it, and once they get into it, people start exploring on their own and start bringing their experiences (and rum) to the gatherings.

I can't say how glad I am of having found this little cyber-corner of people with a common affinity towards rum. Immense thanks to Ed for putting this place together. I mean, the poor man is constantly suffering on his boat while sampling rums from island to island.. I mean, I could never live like that

-LuisB
lbascones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Scottes

Welcome to another from Massachusetts!

I agree wholeheartedly about educating people about rum. I'm noted for bringing 3 or 4 rums to a party, just to have people try them and experience a good rum. I've done this at a semi-regular poker game a number of times, and a few of the single malt drinkers there have started buying rums now, so I consider that a huge success. I've done the same at work occasionally, but I don't find that the people here look too far beyond their beers. Oh well, I won't stop trying - if I "convert" one person it was worth the effort.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions