MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

138 years ago in 1883, the production of sugar from sugar beets equaled the production of sugar from sugar cane for the first time.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
tappenknot

Default El Dorado 151 High Strength Overproof as a Sipper

I've had many brands of rum over the years. Usually rums below $30, so not in the price range of good sippers. So I've always used budget rums as mixers.

A couple months ago I purchased a $20 750ml bottle of El Dorado 151 at Astor Wine in New York City. I took a swig to see how it tasted. I was blown away. Incredible flavor, and a very nice buttery aftertaste. It wasn't overpowering.

I'm going to try Wray and Nephew and Hamilton overproof at some point. It could be that I will like all overproof rums.

Does anyone else like overproof rums as sippers? I'm surprised only 10 members chose it as a favorite. Most reviewers say you're supposed to mix the El Dorado. But I found one guy who enjoys it as a sipper:

Quote:
OVERPROOF RUM IS AWESOME!

Yes, it is! Don’t even think of arguing this point with me! Overproof rum is fantastic for so many reasons but here are the ones that jump out to me. It is punchy, lively and full of flavour, which means that when used well in cocktails it adds a dimension that no other spirit can. The Nuclear Daiquiri is a fine example of how great overproof rum can be, as is the Anise and Nephew served at Callooh Callay. In the hands of a good bartender, overproof rum can be a great ingredient.

It’s also awesome because it burns so well… I mean come on, who doesn’t love a tiki drink served blazing and almost daring you to drink it? For me the pyrotechnic attributes of overproof are almost important as how good it tastes.

Yes, I said that overproof rum tastes good! It really does. It’s full of vegetal and grassy notes, usually set against crisp citrus flavours and a whack of sugarcane sweetness. That being said it’s strong, so I’m not suggesting you drink it straight (although you can if you want to of course), but as a punchy cocktail ingredient it’s hard to beat.

You have to treat it with the respect it deserves, and this is one of the reasons I love it. I remember a party where some of my guests failed to notice that they were using Goslings overproof in their drinks instead of the regular product. They were surprised when after just a couple of drinks they were feeling the effects. Any spirit this strong demands respect, and if you turn your back on it for even a moment it will have you.

Let’s face it, Wray, Goslings Overproof or my current favourite El Dorado 151, are fun spirits that all taste great but that you have to watch closely. They are the pranksters of the spirit world and will get you in trouble if you let your guard down, but you’re bound to have a good time in their company. The term playing with fire never seemed so appropriate as it does when associated with overproof rum!

So there you have my nine things you should know about rum, and I hope it inspires you to go and find the rums that are right for you. Summer is coming, and believe me it will be all the better if you have a Mai Tai, a Daiquiri or a Zombie in your hand the next time the sun is shining.
http://www.bittersandtwisted.com/con...know-about-rum
tappenknot is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions