MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

178 years ago in 1842, La Favorite was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
seabass

Default Cruzan 2 year

I'm up to two cases now. Anyone else hoarding? The 2 yr Light has pretty much dried up in Minnesota. Although 5 yr ED is still plentiful.

Also...Once my 2 yr light dries up....

Does anyone use the 2 yr dark to make Mojitos or Daquiri's? I've never tried it. Would the taste profile be much different?

Last edited by seabass; 06-23-2008 at 02:13 PM.
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
krustykrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass View Post
I'm up to two cases now. Anyone else hoarding? The 2 yr Light has pretty much dried up in Minnesota. Although 5 yr ED is still plentiful.

Also...Once my 2 yr light dries up....

Does anyone use the 2 yr dark to make Mojitos or Daquiri's? I've never tried it. Would the taste profile be much different?
I have been looking/ buying when I see it, but I think it is even more dried up here... I have 3 bottles in reserve only. I have used the dark in mojitos and it does change it a bit, but it is certainly still tasty!
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
forrest

Quote:
The taste is different, and actually i prefer it.
It sure doesn't look as nice tho...
forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

We just finished a testing event with Cruzan rums. The light is not bad at all. T the dark is still aged two years and has good rum flavor and pretty smooth finish. The Estate Diamond is preferred by many over the Single Barrel. The black strap is unique, as is the Clipper 120 proof spiced. We tasted three flavors: pineapple, mango and guava, all very pleasant. The evening ended with rum cream.

I have a lot of respect for the Cruzan rums. Sorry to hear the Estate Diamond will be discontinued for a while. The Clipper and the 151 are hard to find here in South Florida.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
The Scribe

My local cheapy packy has plenty of the old Cruzan, and I keep meaning to go there to get some. Another place that had a ton was the duty free at Ben Gurion, and they were doing a buy one get one free, but I spent my duty free limit on local stuff.
Cheers. - S
I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, and in the drink with a boat on the rocks.
The Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
seabass

Robert,

Was the tasting of the 1 year light or the 2 yr? If it was the 1 yr did anyone comment on it in regards to being inferior to the 2 yr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post
We just finished a testing event with Cruzan rums. The light is not bad at all. T the dark is still aged two years and has good rum flavor and pretty smooth finish. The Estate Diamond is preferred by many over the Single Barrel. The black strap is unique, as is the Clipper 120 proof spiced. We tasted three flavors: pineapple, mango and guava, all very pleasant. The evening ended with rum cream.

I have a lot of respect for the Cruzan rums. Sorry to hear the Estate Diamond will be discontinued for a while. The Clipper and the 151 are hard to find here in South Florida.
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Quote:
Was the tasting of the 1 year light or the 2 yr? If it was the 1 yr did anyone comment on it in regards to being inferior to the 2 yr?
The Cruzan light rum was the new 14 months aged configuration and we did not compare it to the older version. A few folks were aware of the change but I don't remember anyone making specific comments about the difference.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions