MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

127 years ago in 1893, the West Indies Rum Refinery was founded on Barbados.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
kikomar

Default Questions about Angostura Royal Oak 1824

Recently someone gave me 2 bottles of 12 yr. old Angostura Royal Oak 1824 rum (I think I'm lucky). Apparently the person bought this about 20-25 yrs. ago (he's not a rum drinker) and just kept it and basically forgot about it. Hence, I might be looking at 32-37 yr. old rum. Questions are:
1. I realize rum normally would age in a barrel, but how is it affected if it is kept in a bottle?.....improves/adverse effects/no effect?
2. how is it best to drink it?....on the rocks/mixed (or is that a big no-no?)/straight up?
3. there is a label on each bottle with a certificate number - if I contact Royal Oak can I get more info. on this rum?
4. is there any monetary value to this rum (or would it be current market value for the same rum?)

Any other info. would be appreciated.

Thank-you!
kikomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to the forum kikomar.

First there seems to be some confusion. Are the bottles you have Royal Oak Select Rum or Angostura 1824 Rum? Both have numbers on the label but they are very different rums. Angostura 1824 began to be bottled in the late '90s or early 21st century. Royal Oak Select, on the other hand, has been the flagship of Angostura for many years. If the label is 12 yr. old Angostura Royal Oak 1824 rum, you have something special which hasn't been bottled for at least 15 years.

1) Aged rum doesn't improve in the bottle, though you might find some improvement, if you don't like the harshness of freshly bottled rum, in freshly bottled rum.

2) I'd drink that rum straight, then decide if you would rather drink it mixed with something that will improve the taste.

3) I have watched the label numbers on Royal Oak Select for years and don't believe they mean a lot but you might be lucky and get some information from Angostura, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

4) Your bottles are rum don't have much value beyond the retail value since that rum is still being bottled and is available in several markets.

Over the years, I've tasted a couple of different blends in the 1824 bottle, the latter being better than the first blend I tasted.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
kikomar

Thank-you for the information Edward...it's nice to be here on this site. I've checked the bottle again....the label says Royal Oak "12" Fine Rum. The 1824says, established in 1824, so I don't think it's the 1824 type especially since I know it was purchased way before the late '90's. I guess the bottom line is how it tastes which is what I intend to do soon. Thanks again for your time.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
kikomar

Oh....forgot to add as well that it's 43% alc. (assuming it's 86 proof) and I think everything (or most everything) is 40% now....hence, this is why I believe it's so old.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

There are a number of rums, and other spirits, being bottled at 40% abv, but that varies according to the destination market. The Royal Oak Select you have is probably old but not so old as to be so valuable that you shouldn't open it and enjoy it.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions