MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

160 years ago in 1858, Rhums Saint Maurice was established in French Guiana.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:26 AM   #41
Vanpatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post
I recently extra aged some 2 year old Bambarra Silver in a small barrel I had some port in for a few weeks. It turned out really well and the colour and aroma were amazing. I'm now trying the same process with some Haitian Clarin/Moonshine to see if I can make it more palatable, at least it won't make it any worse!! Will report back in a few weeks time.
Hi Rumelier, can you tell me how long you aged the Bambarra for? I don't know much about this rum; is it a white and did the colour actually change much in the process?
VP
Vanpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:42 AM   #42
Vanpatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
Just reread the entire thread, definitely the best thread for information and entertainment.

If you haven't selected a nice rum for this barrel yet I would recommend trying the FDC 4 or 7 yr. I am probably being selfish here as I love FDC and want to see how it fairs in the cask. But there are good reasons for choosing either of those rums.

First the taste profile of FDC (particularily the 7) is neither overly bitter nor overly sweet. I think the rum will pick up the port notes without battling with the port for flavour supremacy. A more bitter rum (say bicardi) might have to overcome the bitter profile before blending easily with the port.

Secondly because the FDC is a middle of the road profile I think you would learn quickly if you needed to go with a more bitter rum or a sweeter rum for you next trial.

BTW Vann Patt

Could you post some of your taste impressions of the port. Knowing the flavour profile that is already in the cask may change my recommendations. As well I a very curious.
I'm happy to say that I believe my port it is aged to my satisfaction and am ready to move on to phase 2 of my project.

The port has now aged 7 weeks and I've noticed a considerable difference in the past week with much more oak flavour, so in fear of over-oaking the port, I'm going to bottle it tomorrow. I've tried samples every week but until I read Arctic Wolf's post, I hadn't tried the aged and unaged port side by side until now. The unaged port has actually come along way in the bottles but there is so much additional flavour and complexity to the oak aged barrel port. The oak aged port is much drier, and has a significantly longer finish to it (it's comparable to the entry level Warre's or Taylor Flagate I think but not having any on hand I'll just have to go by memory). I'd have to say that the purchase of the barrel for the port alone was totally worth it and the thought of enhancing wine, port, rum and more in the future is intriging!

Phase 2: The Rum

I've read through all the posts and suggestions on possible rums to try in this process and also have to keep costs in mind (one doesn't want to ruin 5 litres of quality rum!). I believe I've narrowed it down to either the Havana Club Anejo or the FDC 4 YR. I'm tempted to go one level higher with either rum, but as JMac had mentioned, rums with more aging have complex flavours that might not lend well to enhancement. I find both the FDC 4YR and HC Anejo to be both middle of the road / neutral rums and it may just come down to a decision at the store. Wish I had more barrels to try them both!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #43
TheRumelier

QUOTE=Vanpatt;26700]Hi Rumelier, can you tell me how long you aged the Bambarra for? I don't know much about this rum; is it a white and did the colour actually change much in the process?
VP[/QUOTE]

I aged the Bambarra Silver for about four weeks or more, not too long as I felt the oak was beginning to dominate in such a small barrel, and I only put 2litres in the barrel. Bambarra Silver is a two year old white rum and came out a beautiful mahogany colour, even after such a short time. You can definetly smell the port notes in it.
I would use a white rum that is fairly young as the flavour profile will change drastically and it is a waste of money to buy an old rum that you will not recognize after a few weeks in the barrel.
I hope my Haitian Clairin that I have put in another barrel is as successful, but I doubt it.
Have fun!!

Sorry for the bad photo, but I thought it would give a good idea of the colour of the rum after a few short weeks
http://www.therumelier.com

Last edited by TheRumelier; 06-22-2009 at 11:24 AM.
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #44
Patapouf

I've finally read through the whole thread. Thanks all for the great information.

I'm about to try my own aging. I'm going the way of a barrel used in Port, like many here.

Here's my question regarding the type of oak. A local brewing store is selling hungarian oak barrels. Have any of you heard of this oak? Would you recommend it? My research on the net gave me the impression that it's very similar to french oak... Any help is appreciated!
Patapouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:36 PM   #45
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Thumbs up

Not heard of Hungarian oak per se, but I hope you try it. I would love to hear about how it works out.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #46
Patapouf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
Not heard of Hungarian oak per se, but I hope you try it. I would love to hear about how it works out.
Will do! My guy is also looking into different cooperages for me.

Vanpatt asked earlier if there were any tools you could buy to test the alcohol content. I'm wondering the same... can anyone direct me?
Patapouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #47
TheRumelier

Here is a photo of the Haitian Clairin that has been in the barrel for two weeks. Although the colour has changed the aroma is still pretty much the same raw moonshine smell. Will leave it longer before I'm brave enough to taste it!!
Old 07-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #48
Vanpatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post

Here is a photo of the Haitian Clairin that has been in the barrel for two weeks. Although the colour has changed the aroma is still pretty much the same raw moonshine smell. Will leave it longer before I'm brave enough to taste it!!
I can't believe how much colour the barrel has imparted on the rum in so short a time! Thanks for the photo's, the Bambarra Silver photo inspired me to go with the Havana Club Anejo Blanco (instead of the Anejo Reserva) and I put in about 2 1/2 litres into my 5 litre barrel. I'll post some pictures in a few weeks once there is a noticeable difference.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #49
TheRumelier

I think the port makes a big difference and there was probably a little residue left in the barrel as I did not give it time to dry out. This is an older barrel than the previous one I used and I have used it several times. I think I might add some oak chips to help the mellowing. The other barrel was a new one given to me by Angostura, so probably imparted more influence on the rum, but Bambarra was already a pretty smooth rum.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #50
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanpatt View Post
I can't believe how much colour the barrel has imparted on the rum in so short a time!
Vanpatt...What you are seeing is the effect of barrel ageing at sea level in the Carribean as opposed to a much cooler Northern clime as yours. As an example, I sent my brother in law (as a gift) the same 5 liter American Oak barrel I bought back in December, 08. We both filled our barrels with white rum after making sure they were water tight. We kept our barrels topped up...Checked weekly for progress. After 4 weeks I was seeing a considerable change in color and flavor....He was seeing and tasting no changes. I could not believe it. I just just visited him and his family with my better half in Maine about 2 weeks ago. He has been storing the barrel in his basement....Which I guess will not break 65 degreesF given the way summer is not progressing in Maine. The oak influence on his rum is very delicate..The color is still very light, and the oak has imparted some tannins but not so much flavor as I would have expected.

It was a wonderful reminder as to how climate effects ageing in oak. We drained a fair portion of his barrel sampling it..and then refilled it with store bought white rum..and will tap it again in September when I revisit there.

Cheers

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions