MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

137 years ago in 1883, the production of sugar from sugar beets equaled the production of sugar from sugar cane for the first time.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas

From real fruit to the worst synthetic flavors what do you like and how do you drink it?

Old 05-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
Scottes

Default Rum Infusions - What to add?

My mind has been contemplating some rum infusions,and my thoughts have been leaning towards enhancing some good rums that I have which I find to be a bit boring or lacking. So I'm not looking to create a "Coconut Rum" or a "Pineapple Rum" using infusion techniques, but rather adding a number of subtle flavors to increase the complexity of sipping rums that lack complexity, or lack particular tastes that I like.

I do not plan on using poor or even good rums, but rather the very good to great ones and enhancing them. For now, I'm planning on using any particular rum to do between 1 to 3 tests using 4 ounces of rum each. (Some experimentation is needed before devoting an entire bottle to an unknown recipe, and I still want to keep some of the good stuff "pure" to be enjoyed as it was designed.) I plan on taking a dozen half pint canning jars, adding rum and other stuff, shaking and tasting almost daily, and of course keeping extensive notes.

My plan is to take my tasting notes, re-taste if necessary, and think about what flavors would match the rum in way to enhance it's flavor. For instance, a touch of vanilla is probably appropriate for most aged rums, whereas pineapple would not be. (In general - I'm sure there's always a cases that will invalidate this sentence.) I'm curious as to how other might think about the ingredients for such "rum enhancement" infusions. What are the typical flavors one might find in an aged rum and what flavors might be considered unusual in a rum, but could match (for me, I love apples, and I think a subtle hint of apple would not be out of place in many aged rums).

So what tastes might you expect in a rum, and what unusual tastes might you like to find? Any other thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Spices like cinnamon and nutmeg come to mind. I like the taste of apple but that flavor may be hard to infuse, raisins are commonly used in the islands to enhance the flavor of rum.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
Fabio

Hi there,
I would do one with mix of citirc fruits like orange, lemon and mandarin. Also, I believe that some flavored rums have some sugar added in their recipes. If not why some of them are more viscous vs. not flavored rums?.

Limoncello requieres sugar in the process of making.
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
angelsword

My understanding (and certainly my taste buds) tells me that many if not most companies already do this at the premium level.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:24 PM   #5
Scottes

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post
My understanding (and certainly my taste buds) tells me that many if not most companies already do this at the premium level.
Do you mean that you think some companies add infused flavors to their rums?

If that's the case, I'd be curious about what rums you think have added flavorings. I'm very curious about this.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:27 PM   #6
Scottes

I did some some infusions a couple weeks ago. But I followed more "traditional" methods for infusing vodka, and used too much fruit and/or left it for too long. In most cases the infusion process just about covered the flavor of the rum - and this is definitely not what I wanted to do. I had intended to add some subtle flavors by infusing, but ended up making things closer to strawberry liqueur and apple liqueur. The rum is barely noticeable. (They still taste good, but they're just not what I had intended.)

I do plan on trying again, but this time I'll be infusing for hours, not days.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:28 AM   #7
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottes View Post
Do you mean that you think some companies add infused flavors to their rums?

If that's the case, I'd be curious about what rums you think have added flavorings. I'm very curious about this.
Of course! Some of the most obvious are Pyrat, Zacapa, and Capt. Morgan Private Stock. Others are more subtle... like the anise in Green Island/African Starr.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:33 AM   #8
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottes View Post
I do plan on trying again, but this time I'll be infusing for hours, not days.
A shorter time will yield less complexity. You might try a smaller amount instead.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
Tiare

I usually have 1 bottle of dark rum that is infused with Tahitian vanilla and one white rum with some pineapple in and the flavors are not too strong.I use the infused rums for mixing.
A small pineapple cut in four to one litre of white rum and 2 Tahitian vanilla beans to one litre dark rum.
My last one was a Tahitian Noa Noa dark rum with 2 vanillas in and its almost finished now, so its time for a new one soon. This time I want to use a better rum, any suggestions?
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Prune and chocolate. One unusual flavour I found in one of my rums was tequila. It was interesting though.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Flavored - Rums, Rhums and Cachaзas