MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

234 years ago in 1787, sugar from sugar beets begins production and starts to challenge sugar production from sugar cane.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
steve9060

Default Question for local rum experts...

Hello all, I hope i am asking in the right spot, but I have an odd request. My five year anniversary is coming up and i was hoping to surprise my wife with a bottle of Bounty rum we discovered on our honeymoon. Now i know this is not possible in the states (short of an expensive plane trip), but are any of you familiar with this rum?

I know its inexpensive and probably not the stuff of connoisseurs, but I’m hoping someone can point me in a direction of a similar more attainable bottle of rum, anything you know of similar in taste or what type of rum I should be looking for?

Thank you very much for reading!
steve9060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to the forums. You should be looking for St Vincent Sunset Extra Gold rum which is available, there are a few more bottles left in the US. Check Binny's in Chicago which is probably the closest source to you, you might have to call Brett Pontoni at Binny's.

St Vincent Sunset Extra Gold is bottled in St Vincent as Captain Bligh, though it may have completely replaced Captain Bligh by now.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
steve9060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Welcome to the forums. You should be looking for St Vincent Sunset Extra Gold rum which is available, there are a few more bottles left in the US. Check Binny's in Chicago which is probably the closest source to you, you might have to call Brett Pontoni at Binny's.

St Vincent Sunset Extra Gold is bottled in St Vincent as Captain Bligh, though it may have completely replaced Captain Bligh by now.

Great will give it a shot, thank you so much!
steve9060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
The Rum Ambassador

Default Bounty Rum

Bounty Rum, From St. Lucia ?
If that's the rum you're looking for in the states then it's near impossible. But you might have some success by calling the St. Lucia distillery themselves to ask about receiving a few bottles by FeDex. Another means would be to contact the guys that import CASTRIES PEANUT CREAM into the USA. It is made in the same distillery in St. Lucia so they might be able to bring a few bottles for you.
Have you tried Chairman's Reserve yet ?

UK RUMFEST...The Rum Experience
London, England
24th-25th October 2009
www.rumfest.co.uk
The Rum Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:14 AM   #5
Ben

Default Bounty and other St. Lucia rums

Hi there,

I was actually in St. Lucia for my honeymoon last September. Very nice place. St. Lucia Distillers produce several rums; Bounty being the most common. Their best one is the Chairman's Reserve. I brought back these two bottles actually. I would rather use Bounty in mixed drinks, but the CR is a pretty good rum, not Top Ten material though.

For your information, St. Lucia Distillers started distributing a new brand, Elements (http://www.e8rum.com/main.html) and there is actually a distributor in Montreal. I did not taste it yet, as it is quite expensive as usual here in Quebec (51.00$ / 700ml). Anyone tried it yet ?

Ben
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
TheRumelier

I've never seen Bounty outside of the Caribbean. It is a good mixing rum and the most common rum seen in St.Lucia. We carry a range of St.Lucian rums, but unfortunately we do not carry the Bounty, otherwise I could have shipped you a bottle. When I get home later I will try some and see if I can come up with something close. The best rum by far from St.Lucia distillers is the Admiral Rodney, a big step up from Chairman's Reserve and Elements 8, I have a small spanish oak barrel full of it, as it's one of my favourite rums. Best drank straight over some ice, a sipper.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:48 AM   #7
bcarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rum Ambassador View Post
Bounty Rum, From St. Lucia ?
I was blessed enough to tour the distillery in '05. The peanut rum was one of those "huh, this isn't half bad" purchases. I posted pictures on my blog at http://www.billcarney.com/blog/?p=9
bcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
TheRumelier

Just tried the Bounty for breakfast!! Pretty light in colour and taste, but would make a great mixing rum, as mentioned before, probably what it was designed for in the first place. Couldn't really match it up with anything similar though. It did go well with a spicy Jamaican beef patty with curry sauce. I know, it's a strange breakfast, but the wife & kids are away!!! She has aquired 7 bottles for the collection so far, and is visiting the new Bacardi store in Nassau tomorrow. Xmas has come early.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post
It did go well with a spicy Jamaican beef patty with curry sauce. I know, it's a strange breakfast, but the wife & kids are away!!!
Now that is a breakfast!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #10
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Bounty is the most popular rum on St Lucia. It is bottled in two strengths, very strong and 40%abv. It is most commonly mixed with juice, coke or whatever is in your glass. There are a few other rums from St Lucia Distillers Limited, but by far Bounty is the most popular.

Ten years ago the overproof was much more popular but tastes are changing.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions