MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

107 years ago in 1913, Destileria Colombiana was established in Columbia.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 10-21-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
XxMerlinxX

Default Hum... I'm not impressed.

So I tried a small bit of Gosling's Black Seal tonight. Neat, I didn't really care for it. A bit of water, still not loving it. With ice and I could probably drink it but I kept making a face every time I took a sip. Eventually I broke out the ginger ale and lime. My other rum at the moment is Bacardi 8, which isn't bad, but doesn't really floor me either and normally gets mixed as well. I've asked my local store to pick up a bottle of Pyrat XO for me, but we'll see if they follow through on that. When I think of rum, I think of something sweet and caramel like, and while I realize there are many different variations, I think that's what I'm wanting. Could anyone give a few recommendations on some sure winners?
XxMerlinxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:44 AM   #2
rumdog007

Merlin, you've hit on the love-or-hate-it world of black strap rums. I am like you and do not like them neat, but I find them an indispensible cocktail ingredient. I'll add a dash of the Black Seal to many drinks. Try the Cruzan Black Strap for an eye opener. It's around double the molasses taste! The Bacardi 8 is more of a traditional sipper in the Cuban style. Please report back on the Pyrat. It takes me to world of Sunkist oranges every time I have it. If you mean that you want a sweeter profile, try the Central American Botrans, Zacapas, and Ron Centenarios.

Last edited by rumdog007; 10-21-2008 at 02:51 AM.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:00 AM   #3
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Rumdog's on the money with the sweet central American brands like Zacapa. If you like your rums sweet and caramel tasting then check the South American brands - El Dorado, Pampero, Diplomatico. Winners all
Old 10-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #4
frenchrumlover

that s right , diplomatico and eldorado are the sweet winners all the time as well as banks d aguiars
try to get some abuelo 7 years if you can to it s a rum from panama which is great in daiquiri.
see you on saturday at the rumfest paul
frenchrumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

See you there my brother. I'm running the main stage before and after my seminar.

Couldn't be more excited! So many cool presentations - ian Williams on the history of rum, Richard seale on rum innovations, ministry of rum live with ed, rob and dave broom, seven tiki cocktail face off, femme fatale female bartending competition, duane dove's rum and chocolates and loads more. Plus the exhibitors have got some amazing stands - salsa dancing, the 10 cane beach, st Nicholas abbey are offering you the chance to bottle your own rum from a barrel and get it sand blasted with your own name. Loads and loads and loads. It'll be an amazing show in every way.

See you there
Old 10-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Wow, how much for the sandblasted bottle? I'm thinking Refined Vices needs its own rum .
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
frenchrumlover

i ll be there or i ll be dead. you can be sure of it
frenchrumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:59 AM   #8
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulipbartender View Post
See you there my brother. I'm running the main stage before and after my seminar.
Paul we know i can't be there, but i am lifting so much positivity your way, i will be there in spirit!
ROCK IT!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchrumlover View Post
that s right , diplomatico and eldorado are the sweet winners all the time as well as banks d aguiars
try to get some abuelo 7 years if you can to it s a rum from panama which is great in daiquiri.
see you on saturday at the rumfest paul
Wish we could be at the fest, but will have to tip a few cups of rum in kindred spirit instead.

Thanks for the wonderful daiquiri recommendation. The Abuelo 7 aсos married particularly well last night with fresh lime and Petite Canne syrup. The deep and flavorful result is a new favorite.

BTW why are there so many Daiquiri recipes? Even mixtures with the same ingredients vary wildly as to the proportions.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
rumdog007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
BTW why are there so many Daiquiri recipes? Even mixtures with the same ingredients vary wildly as to the proportions.
When the recipe hit our shores, it was largely spread by word of mouth from tourists that had visited Cuba. The bartenders wanted to meet their wishes, but not necessarily their expectations. Anyway, they did their best. When cocktail guides were published, some were, let's say, better researched than others. Some of them (later, like Trader Vics) which sought to trace the "true original" found that competing bars in Cuba had their own little variations. Add in the variants made for guys like Hemingway which wrote of this magic elixir... well, you get my drift. BTW, Michael, I am only addressing the standand daiquiri. The strawberry, kiwi fruit, etc. mixes are not daiquiris IMO. I've found that regIOnal drinks born on our shore, like the Mint Julep, are generally more faithful to the original in most recipe books.

Last edited by rumdog007; 10-23-2008 at 12:02 AM.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums