MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

14 years ago in 2006, Firefly Distillery LLC was established in Charleston County, South Carolina.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #31
Spun_cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor714914 View Post
As far as the Pistols, are they indeed out of production, or will the be coming back?
Had not heard that. They seem to be very available where i have been

Quote:
Originally Posted by falstaff View Post
I have several 7000's that are not initialed and a couple of 17,000's that are.
Picked up one near 1500 today and there were no initials.
Spun_cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #32
taylor714914

Anyone know of an online source that sells the Pyrat of yesteryear? it was one of my first loves, and I'd love to try what it used to be.
taylor714914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #33
Bluehammer

Thanks to all for providing Planters Gold updates. I appreciate the additional research help. Now if I could only find more research material in AZ.
Bluehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:47 AM   #34
ErichPryde

For the original purpose of the thread- the timeline & tracking part of it anyway- When Patron took over distribution, they actually started date stamping the bottles at some point. I came across a bunch of bottles in the 945K - 1.18M range today. the 945K's all have 08/10/08 stamped, in tiny black digits, on the "top" of the bottle. the 1.18M have Feb 13 09 stamped on them. I can't say for certain that patron was doing that when they first started distributing Pyrat, but if they did it would give an accurate read on when they started.
The date stamp is small, and hard to read. I only spotted it because I was moving the XO into an empty pistol bottle. once the bottle was empty it was super easy to read.
The 1.18M bottle is better than the current stuff- it's more creamy. It's also better than a "current" pistol I have open. That being said, it's no planter's gold- not even close!

I found three SMS pistols today too. Interestingly, one of them is significantly darker than the other two. Also, the bottle design is different, It has a thick glass base that is dimped "down," not "up." The neck wrap was the lighter colored fabric as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehammer View Post
Thanks to all for providing Planters Gold updates. I appreciate the additional research help. Now if I could only find more research material in AZ.
Nice to see another Arizonan!
ErichPryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #35
Bluehammer

To keep the data together, I am just adding to this thread that there is a report of SMS distributed Planters Gold in the 206,000 range. If anyone has a higher bottle number that is still the old version, please post here....for science.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:45 AM   #36
Spun_cookie

Random info... We did a blind tasting one night and all the Planter's Gold 120K and below are all very close in taste. The ones I have had over 140K are different (not as deep and complex - lacking something).
Old 07-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #37
Tortuga

How do you guys find these bottles? Do you just go into old liquor stores and ask "Hey do you have any old bottles of Pyrat laying around?"

I cant find em anywhere and Im in the NYC region. I would think that there aint too many places that still got them seeing as it would have had to be sitting on the shelf for at least 6 years now.
Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #38
Bluehammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
Do you just go into old liquor stores and ask "Hey do you have any old bottles of Pyrat laying around?"

I cant find em anywhere and Im in the NYC region. I would think that there aint too many places that still got them seeing as it would have had to be sitting on the shelf for at least 6 years now.
Yes and yes. I have no better answer as you have summed it up.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:38 AM   #39
Spun_cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga View Post
How do you guys find these bottles? Do you just go into old liquor stores and ask "Hey do you have any old bottles of Pyrat laying around?"

Not exactly. I walk in and look for the box, the Christmas packages and bottles first. If you ask for it, they some times will raise the price. Its a funny balance. Dusty hunting is an art

Full discloser, this habit started with Bourbon dusty hunting and was fully developed when rum dusty hunting started.

Best finds to date have been in CA for the Planters. I have foudn 5 bottles under 10K on the SN.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #40
jml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spun_cookie View Post
Not exactly. I walk in and look for the box, the Christmas packages and bottles first. If you ask for it, they some times will raise the price. Its a funny balance. Dusty hunting is an art

Full discloser, this habit started with Bourbon dusty hunting and was fully developed when rum dusty hunting started.

Best finds to date have been in CA for the Planters. I have foudn 5 bottles under 10K on the SN.

I'll echo this... a few months ago I was in San Francisco at a liquor store and saw an old Pyrat XO bottle behind the counter... I told them how much I like it and they said they had more in storage in the back... brought out 4 more bottles and I bought 3 of them. I felt it only fair to leave one behind for another lucky soul who is on the hunt
jml is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions