MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

394 years ago in 1627, the English established the first colony on Barbados.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
jzy308

Default 10 Cane

I see 10 Cane is touted to be the best in the world. I have tried it and did not like it. Re its statement that it is distilled form "pure cane juice", the bottle does not state that is it rum agricole. Does anyone have any more info? I think any queries to the distiller/distributor will be unanswered.
carl
jzy308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
lbascones

Hi,

Just because it is made from sugar cane juice does not make it a Rhum Agricole. For a rum to be an agricole, it needs to hold the Appelation d'origine Contrфlйe (AOC), which guarantees that all processes have been followed according to guidelines. Mind you that there are good sugar cane juice rums without AOC. 10 Cane comes to mind. Is that the one you are asking about?

IMHO calling something "the best of the world" is just a marketing ploy, no matter how good the product is. Just like there is no best musician, painter, hamburger, or color, there can't be a best rum.

10 Cane is pretty good, if you like sugar cane juice rums. If you don't, then, well, no matter how good it is it will fall in the same category as great whiskys are to me (I don't care for whisky).

Hope this helps,

-LuisB
lbascones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
bill poster

prefer Orinoco to 10 cane..
bill poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
Rum Runner

Default Regarding A.O.C.

Hi. A.O.C. is a French government regulation, which is why rums produced to the standards in the French West Indies can legally adopt the title Rhum Agricole. Rum 10 (while owned by a French based company) is produced in Trinidad. Even if it is produced to A.O.C. standards it cannot be legitimized by the French Government.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Hank Koestner

Default 10 Cane/ Rhum Agriocle

When I taste rums, I don,t always compare them. I try not to see them as better or worse, just different. But, when it comes to fresh cane juice, it is hard not to compare.
I0 cane is a good rum, and has a unique flavor, but it does not compare to rhum agricole. I may be a little biased, as agricole is one of my favorites. 10 Cane makes a decent Ti Punch, and can be enjoyed on the rocks, possibly with some muddled lime. It does not seem to mix that well.
Look past the advertising, taste it , and if you like it, enjoy.
As Ed says, my favorite rum at the moment is the one in my glass!
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Scottes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
It does not seem to mix that well.
Funny that you say that. I've heard that 10 Cane was designed to be a cocktail rum.

Jean Baptiste Cordon, the managing director of 10 Cane, explains, “We really designed 10 Cane with bartenders in mind. They like to apply their creative skills to truly enhance a cocktail experience and that can be achieved much more vividly with 10 Cane.”
http://www.wineshopnyc.com/main.asp?...ES&article=16&

Personally I like 10 Cane, but find it a bit contrived and slightly over-priced. It's not quite a sipping rum, and does seem like it would work well in a variety of cocktails. I'd have to find the right cocktail before I'd run out and purchase more, or recommend it.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
Hi. A.O.C. is a French government regulation, which is why rums produced to the standards in the French West Indies can legally adopt the title Rhum Agricole. 10 Cane (while owned by a French based company) is produced in Trinidad. Even if it is produced to A.O.C. standards it cannot be legitimized by the French Government.
10 Cane is a product of Moet Hennessy and doesn't claim to be rum, or rhum, agricole. It is produced in the style of a fine cognac with pot still distillation and careful attention to the details of the raw ingredients. The cane is grown with a lot of attention to the details. The type of sugar cane used has been developed to limit the amount of trash, leaves on the stalks, which has to be removed before the cane stalks are crushed. The yeast used for fermentation came from France and is cultivated for the long, five day fermentation, one of the longest in the sugar cane spirits industry.

One of the questions I wanted to answer was what does FIRST PRESS CANE really mean? At a new distillery in the south-central part of Trinidad, Moet Hennessy uses a cane mill with only two sets of rollers. But in the tradition of first press wine, the sugar cane is lightly pressed to release the fresh sweet juice and to limit the juice from the harder, outer layer of the sugar cane stalk. This process is also designed to limit the amount of the waxy material that protects the outside of the sugar cane stalk from insects and pests. The spent cane is so moist it sticks to your hands and wouldn’t burn even if you wanted to burn it. The steam for distillation is generated in a gas burning steam generator. I probably would have described this as lightly pressed cane but whatever you call it, it is unique among rum distillers and is the first step in making a good distilled product. You can’t make Cognac from raisins.

After being distilled twice to about 70% abv in a copper pot still, the distillate is aged about 6 months in French oak barrels before it is blended and bottled at the Angostura facility in Trinidad. After tasting 10 Cane when it first appeared in the US and having tasted the fresh distillate straight from the still, I am confident that Moet Hennessy is working hard to make 10 Cane a better product than it was when it was first introduced. Whether the market place is willing to retry a new product remains to be seen.

(I'll post some pictures of the 10 Cane facilities in a few days.)
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:47 AM   #8
PirateNord

I would be willing to retry it. I really did not care for it at all when it first came out in the U.S. I was given a bottle by a distributor friend and given the same line about "the best ever... best in the world... blah blah blah". I found it to be harsh and decidedly unpleasant when served straight. It was marginally better mixed in a cocktail.

But if they are reworking it, I am always game to try again.
PirateNord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
Chuck E. Mong

Send a message via ICQ to Chuck E. Mong Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck E. Mong

I emailed 10 Cane from an address on their website and got a fast and courteous response. I haven't got the email on this computer but my main question had to do with some of the sugarcane industry in Trinidad being phased out and how that would affect 10 Cane. The woman responded that they wouldn't have any problem because they have their own sources of cane. I also wondered why people I knew in Trinidad had never heard of it. She said that they didn't sell it locally but would in the near future. I love it but find it overpriced at $34. or so and I stock up when it's $20 - 28.
Chuck E. Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
Edward Hamilton
Founder

The government owned sugar industry was phased out a few years ago, but Moet Hennessy is working with a few farmers who are selling their cane exclusively to the 10 Cane distillery. On a trip there a few months ago I was able to see most of the operation and will post a link to some jpgs over the weekend.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions