MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

521 years ago in 1500, The Spanish Crown permitted export of slaves to America.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
AdOrAdam

Default Where to next for sipping rums?

Hi all

In the last 9 months or so I have bridged out from mixing rum to sipping rums. In no particular order I acquired:

Ron Zacapa 23, Appleton 12, El Dorado 12, Bacardi 8, Matsuleum 15, Angostura 1919, Plantation Barbados 5, Mocambo 20...

I've also tried quite a few (about 10 more?).

IMO:

The El Dorado 12 got finished in short order. The Ron Zacapa 23 consumed at about the same rate.

I enjoy the 'golden' rums (Bacardi 8, Plantation Barbados 5, Angostura 1919). Bacardi 8 works great as a mixer.

Mocambo 20 is an odd ball but sort of a 'non-sweet Zacapa' in my book, interesting rather than compelling.

Appleton 12 & Matsuleum 15 were misses for me - a bit citrusly & astringent. I mixed the Appleton 12 & it was good so I'll probably purchase it again as a premium 'dark jamaican' mixer.

When I started I added a little water & have kept doing it, when I've been sipping recently the drinks have been a little sweet.

So...:

Appleton 12 & Bacardi 8 will be brought again as mixers (sometimes sipping them).

Mocambo 20 will last me a while.

Matsuleum 15 wont be brought again.

Angostura 1919 I'll buy again (I'd miss it & its a good price).

Ron Zacapa 23 is a luxury given I enjoyed the El Dorado 12 more.

El Dorado 12 is out for being too sweet but was great so I may do the 15.

Plantation Barbados 5 is a bit sweet so I may get another Plantation (I think the range is good rather than just one vintage).

What else would people recommend moving away from the sweet but not to the astringent?
AdOrAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Rumgarden

El Dorado 8?
Rumgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
JohnnyDrejer

The El Dorado 15 is blended using rum from different stills then the 12 YO. The 15YO was "designed" so it appeal more to whisky drinkers. The rum used in the 15YO is primarily from the wooden stills that DDL (Diamond Distillery) uses. So the taste profile is different then that of the 12YO which by many is considered very sweet.

/Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdOrAdam View Post
El Dorado 12 is out for being too sweet but was great so I may do the 15.
JohnnyDrejer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
AdOrAdam

I tried El Dorado 15 as the last drink (of a long night), for me it was similar to the 12 year, I will be picking up a bottle to appreciate the difference :-)

The 8 year is great, I think the 5 year is a bit low powered but still good (depending on what you make) - I'll try sipping some :-)

IMO El Dorado are unlikely to make a bad rum, just varying levels of good / better / great / awesome etc.

125 'views' to date, any other suggestion of less sweet but not astringent sippers? :-)
Old 08-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Rutherford H Mountbatten

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the Matusalem being too astringent, as I didn't get that out of the Matusalem (but did get it from the Appleton Estate)

I find Abuelo 12 sublime; most people who don't like it complain that it isn't sweet enough, so you should try it (or 7) out.

Flor de Cana is typically well-balanced and on the drier side of things. The 7 works for sipping, as does the 12. I've heard the 18 is too woody but haven't had any.

I haven't had a Plantation that was bad yet, and have had probably 6 of them. Trinidad vintage Plantations aren't hard to find, so if you liked Angostoura, that would be a good choice. The Barbados ones (including the 20th ann.) are fantastic, but very similar in character to the 5 year. Their Jamaica might be a bit strong for you. The Plantation Guyana rum I've had is some of the best stuff to ever touch my lips.
Rutherford H Mountbatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
AdOrAdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutherford H Mountbatten View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the Matusalem being too astringent, as I didn't get that out of the Matusalem (but did get it from the Appleton Estate)

Abuelo 12...7...

Flor de Cana ...7...12. I've heard the 18 is too woody.

I haven't had a Plantation that was bad yet,...The Plantation Guyana rum I've had is some of the best stuff to ever touch my lips.
I think the astringent bit of that comment relates more to Appleton 12!

I made notes about the Matusleum 15 part way through the bottle & described it as 'sweet foretaste, citrusy mid taste, no additional aftertaste'. Palates vary but for me the mid taste is what I remember - I just found I never reached for it, it lacked a something.

I tried Flor De Cana 7 when I was abroad in the midday heat, I didnt think much of it & wasn't entirely sure the heat hadn't effected my judgement - I'll retry the 7 year now Im back in the UK.

I hear nothing but good things about Plantation & really have enjoyed their Bajan 5 year edition. Im actually hoping to working my way through them one at a time (although maybe give the Jamaican a miss for a while).

I know nothing about Panamanian Rum (except Ron De Jeremy comes from there, Plantation have a vintage & Ron Abuelo is the mainstay) - what's the style like?

I think a good sipping rum should be one that is happily drank until you realise it's near the bottom, then you save it, only to then realise you can buy more & so you finish it off... then you miss it!

Thanks for the tips to date peeps, any others?
Old 08-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
thano

i agree i find matusalem and appleton 12 ok but nothing special.
try dictador 12. In the sweet side of things diplomatico reserva exclusiva is a must (my favorite).
thano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Stevo77

Ron Millonario 15 and R.L Seales 10 have been a revelation for me recently. Both ridiculous tasty.
Stevo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
SeldomSeen

For slightly drier Rum cravings, I'm particularly fond of Santa Teresa Selecto and Diplomatico Reserva. Neither one immediately grabbed me by the short hairs, but both quickly became favorites soon thereafter.....(teaching me not to trust first impressions).
Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
arobichem

I also find myself preferring drier rums, I have a bottle of Zacapa that's half-full and hasn't been touched in a year.

Have you tried Cruzan Single Barrel? It's quickly becoming one of my favorites and along with El Dorado 12 one I always have a bottle of on my shelf! Give it a few minutes after pouring and add a bit of water or an ice cube, it's much nicer that way than neat.
arobichem is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions