MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

117 years ago in 1903, Juan Serrallés installed the first continuous still on the island of Puerto Rico.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Dood

Default Suggestions For Trip To Belize

My in-laws are taking another cruise in a week or so and will be stopping in Belize. I'm familiar with One Barrel from Travellers, but is anyone aware of any other "treasures" they should keep an eye out for?
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Being on a cruise ship they'll probably see a duty free shop with rums from several Central American countries so they should keep an eye out for Centenario from Costa Rica.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
bluewave6

I have been wanting to try this one. I saw it available on line at Hi Times, but they are not able to ship spirits to DE So I am trying to see if my wife's G Parents will let me have the rum shipped to them and then ship it to me. I really want to try the Centenario XX.
bluewave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Mark B.

In addition to One Barrel, I've seen 3 other domestically-produced rums in Belize: Caribbean White; Caribbean Dark; and a coconut flavored rum (I don't remember the name).

I've only personally had the One Barrel and Caribbean White. I like One Barrel a lot. It has brown sugar/molasses flavor that mixes especially well with citrus juices, lime in particular. One Barrel and homemade limeade is one of my hot-weather favorites.

Caribbean White I've only had in rum punches that were mixed for us by our tour guides. They were rather heavy-handed with the pour, and all I can really say for sure is that I don't remember it tasting nasty!

I'm going back down there in a couple months and I want to try cashew wine, a locally produced folk liquor. It sounds interesting and I regret not trying it last time we were there. Maybe your in-laws could pick up some of that for you, if only for the novelty factor.
Mark B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
danimal

Default Rums of Belize

Hello World,
Belize has two legal distilleries that I know of: Travellers of Belize City and Cuello of Orange Walk. Both manufacture a line of rums, including a dark, a light, an overproof and flavors. I import One Barrel into the USA, so I know a little about the distillery. However, I only have spotty knowledge of Cuello. They're supposed to have a minor Maya ruin on site, which is unique.

Travellers makes One Barrel. That's their No.1 rum. They also make a very good premium rum called "Prestige", and a Coconut rum called "Tropicanah". There are trademark issues with both those brand names, so they have to change the names to have any hope of bringing them into the USA. Travellers has an overproof that seems to be named "Strong". It is. From what I recall, it's something like 180 proof, just under the limit. I forget the actual number, but I think that if you distill to 90%ABV, you can't call it rum any more.

If you get the chance to try these rums, I'd recommend it. They're unique, British style rums from Central America. The distillery is planning to have tours arranged through the Tourist Village, but how far those plans have advanced is anybody's guess. I think they have a tasting station at the cruise ship dock, so try a sip or two.

Dan
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #6
Dood

Strong...I actually have a bottle of that that I brought back from our honeymoon. I'm wondering if it's the same stuff.

I know that for the proof, it's actually OK in a cocktail in a VERY small dose.

I also know that if someone knocks over the bottle when the cap isn't on, it will strip the varnish off of the table.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #7
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Travellers makes One Barrel. That's their No.1 rum. They also make a very good premium rum called "Prestige", and a Coconut rum called "Tropicanah". There are trademark issues with both those brand names, so they have to change the names to have any hope of bringing them into the USA.
Dan
I can image Tropicana, which is owned by Pepsico I believe, would have something to say about the name Tropicanah on anything you can drink.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:34 AM   #8
Dood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood View Post
Strong...I actually have a bottle of that that I brought back from our honeymoon. I'm wondering if it's the same stuff.

I know that for the proof, it's actually OK in a cocktail in a VERY small dose.

I also know that if someone knocks over the bottle when the cap isn't on, it will strip the varnish off of the table.
Nope, I've got a different Strong. The Strong in my cabinet is made by St. Lucia Distillers and is 160 proof (although the bottle says 150 proof it also says 80% abv).
Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
Edward Hamilton
Founder

A couple of years ago the label on St Lucia's Bounty Strong Rum said 140 proof and 80% abv. The discrepancy between 140 proof and 80% abv is easily explained by the difference in US proof and British proof. Many countries are now requiring labels to state alcohol by volume.

US proof is simply twice the ABV, pretty simple stuff. 40% abv is 80
US proof. British proof is a little more complicated and, unfortunately, British proof is not always designated as such. By definition, a sample at 50 British proof weighs exactly 12/13 as much as an equal volume of distilled water at 10.6єC. Or, at 87.7 British proof, a sample contains 50% alcohol by volume.

To convert British proof to % alcohol by volume, multiply the number given as British proof by 0.571. Or multiply the British proof by 1.142 to yield US proof.
Ministry of Rum

Old 11-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
Edward Hamilton
Founder

A couple of years ago the label on St Lucia's Bounty Strong Rum said 140 proof and 80% abv. The discrepancy between 140 proof and 80% abv is easily explained by the difference in US proof and British proof. Many countries are now requiring labels to state alcohol by volume.

US proof is simply twice the ABV, pretty simple stuff. 40% abv is 80
US proof. British proof is a little more complicated and, unfortunately, British proof is not always designated as such. By definition, a sample at 50 British proof weighs exactly 12/13 as much as an equal volume of distilled water at 10.6ºC. Or, at 87.7 British proof, a sample contains 50% alcohol by volume.

To convert British proof to % alcohol by volume, multiply the number given as British proof by 0.571. Or multiply the British proof by 1.142 to yield US proof.

But . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood View Post
The Strong in my cabinet is made by St. Lucia Distillers and is 160 proof (although the bottle says 150 proof it also says 80% abv).
The last bottle of St. Lucia Distillers' Strong Rum I had stated 140 proof and 80% Alcohol by Volume.

140 British proof x 1.142 = 159.88 US proof
And it follows that (159.88 US proof / 2) = 80% alcohol by volume.

Maybe they changed the label, but my guess is that it is still 80% abv since tax is calculated on abv.
Ministry of Rum

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions