MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

88 years ago in 1930, Montebello Distillerie Carrere was established on Guadeloupe.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

White Rums

Whether you call them, clear, silver, white or simple 'see through' how do you drink them?

Old 06-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr
Default El Dorado Cask Aged Three Year Old Rum

The new El Dorado Three Year Old Cask Aged (white) is not being imported in the US yet, but will appear soon, along with the new packaging for the popular 5 year old aged rum, well in advance of the holidays, according to Mr. Ian Lye of Demerara USA.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
Tiare

When you taste this rum will you please post your tasting notes for us?

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Hours of Wealth

we got it here a couple weeks ago, sadly ive not had the money to indulge in it yet, it might sell out soon (and if it hasnt sold well they might not order more) so i'll have to buy asap
Hours of Wealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
fon_eti_que

I had the pleasure to try this very rich-bodied white rum on location at the DDL in Guyana. Have to say that it didnt really meet my expectations, the Flor de cana 4 year old is still my favorite.

/fon_eti_que
fon_eti_que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:42 AM   #5
rumdog007

This El Dorado Cask Aged 3 is great stuff. It has as much flavor as the HC Blanco Anejo and the Elements 8 Platinum. It's different than both of those, but at the same level of the taste-o-meter. I can't wait to mix my first daiquiri with it tomorrow.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
rumdog007

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fon_eti_que View Post
I had the pleasure to try this very rich-bodied white rum on location at the DDL in Guyana. Have to say that it didnt really meet my expectations, the Flor de cana 4 year old is still my favorite.

/fon_eti_que
When it comes to a light dry rum, the FDC 4 is certainly the cat's meow. The El Dorado Cask Aged 3 could not be more different then the FDC4. I get in the mood for a drier daiquiri and nothing will stop me from grabbing the FDC. Well OK, I'll grab the Rhum Saint James Paille or Rhum Saint James Blanc, first. But, I have to jump through so many hoops to get those, I ration them. But, FDC4 makes the best dry daiquiri after those 2.

Now, the other end of the spectrum is the Havana Club Blanco Anejo for me. Not dry at all, with a big fruity taste and a nose on it to die for. The HC3 is another worthwhile upgrade while staying with the same sweeter, fruity profile.

Now, on our shores we have the wonderful El Dorado Cask Aged 3 Year, big fruity flavor. Interestingly, another forum's head-in-the-mud doomsayer Führer recently likened it to premium vodka. (BTW, he made no direct mention of ever having tasted it! Just rambled on about the bottle, MG XO bottles and chocolate donuts...). Vodka, this ain't! It is filtered because there are other products in their line which cover, literally, ever other angle in Demerara rum. This rum adds a premium, full bodied silver rum, yes, for mixing, but sipping it is joy, too.

I won't be so fast to grab the HC Blanco Anejo, anymore!

It's all good!

rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I have to second you on this one rumdog007, but then we seem to have similar expectations on many rums. And then there are a few rums you like that you'll have to teach me to appreciate more.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
El Dorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumdog007 View Post
Now, on our shores we have the wonderful El Dorado Cask Aged 3 Year, big fruity flavor. Interestingly, another forum's head-in-the-mud doomsayer Fьhrer recently likened it to premium vodka. (BTW, he made no direct mention of ever having tasted it! Just rambled on about the bottle, MG XO bottles and chocolate donuts...). Vodka, this ain't! It is filtered because there are other products in their line which cover, literally, ever other angle in Demerara rum. This rum adds a premium, full bodied silver rum, yes, for mixing, but sipping it is joy, too.

I am sadden to hear someone compared El Dorado Cask Aged 3 Years to a premium vodka. I have tasted a few vodkas and none have tasted like or close to the EDCA3. If I had tasted a vodka with such a body and flavour I would have thought that it was a poor low grade quality vodka.

Like I have mentioned on another thread the feed back we have received is that EDCA3 was the best thing to happen to white rum and quite a number of individuals I have spoken to think that it is one of the best, if not the best, white rum for cocktails. With its soft faint creamy, nutty, fruity nose and a smooth soft mild taste of fruit and nut it sits well in any cocktail, not rushing like the normal white rum and gives you a good blend, not one to over shadow the lighter fruit flavours. In fact cocktails are pairing of rums and fruits and as such you want to pair things that complements each other and enhances the flavours not things where one dominates the other(s). EDCA3 has that balance that makes it a premium cocktail rum not a premium vodka (what an insult to the rum fraternity). And by the way with its soft pleasant taste it is also a good sipping rum.

I think what some individuals have gotten carried away with is that they are accustom to Demerara rums being full of flavours and EDCA3 is on the other side of the profile. What should be noted is that we are capable of producing the traditional Demerara rums as well as lighter and heavier ones as required by the drinking public. You name it, we have it or we can do it.
El Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums