MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

54 years ago in 1966, Suriname Alcoholic Beverages NV was established in Suriname.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
1C5

Default Out of this selection can you choose a rum for me?

Will be going to Florida in a couple days, would like to bring back 2 nice bottles of rum. Many of these on this page I have no tried. Please suggest 2 or 3 bottles that you suggest for me to try.

http://www.crownwineandspirits.com/s...sortorder=desc

On this page, the ones I have tried:

Mount Gay XO (I like this one)

Appleton 12 yr (nice also)

Zacapa 23 yr (LOVE this one)

Diplo (Nice one)

Pyrat (one of my favs along with the Zacapa)

The ones I would like to try probably are:

Zafra

Santa Teresa

Vizcaya

Zaya

But I am also open to others. What would be your suggestion keeping in mind prices too. (I am sure some in FL are good deals and other are not)

Thanks.
1C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Edoc

You seem to have diverse tastes-- you like the dry rums (Mt Gay XO), the sweet rums (Zacapa, Pyrat) and the pot stilled jamaican style (Appleton). A rum aficionado after my own heart.

Given that, I don't think you'll have any trouble enjoying the other rums you listed. They are all good in their own way, but (in my opinion) none of these are good for mixing (well, Zaya is too expensive to mix). If I had to characterize them:

Zafra -- Whiskey/bourbon barrel flavor; slightly sweet, nice if you enjoy whiskey
Santa Teresa -- Sherry rich flavor, very different; mildly sweet, very different and interesting; unique and elegant.
Vizcaya -- Rich cascade of mild flavors; slightly sweet, slight banana flavors
Zaya -- Rich and syrup-like; subtle flavors; probably the best rum for a "rum manhattan"

One rum I recommend trying is Smith & Cross. It's a very potent Jamaican pot-stilled rum. It's intense. It's not subtle. It is not a sipper, unless you're a toothless pirate. S&C needs to be mixed carefully in a simple drink (the Millionaire recipe on the label is excellent for releasing the best in the rum). Perhaps best of all, it's a memorable experience. It's one of the rums I crave most when I haven't had rum in a while.

Check out Chip's rum howler blog for reviews: http://therumhowlerblog.wordpress.com/ He has probably reviewed many of these rums.
Edoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
1C5

Edoc, thanks for the great reply. I do kind of like a varity of good rums but my 2 favorite on that list are sweet rums. (Pyrat and Zacapa) so based on that I am kind of leaning towards trying the Vizcaya and Zaya as you said they are probably the sweeter ones out of those 4?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Ruminsky Van Drunkenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C5 View Post
Edoc, thanks for the great reply. I do kind of like a varity of good rums but my 2 favorite on that list are sweet rums. (Pyrat and Zacapa) so based on that I am kind of leaning towards trying the Vizcaya and Zaya as you said they are probably the sweeter ones out of those 4?
Try the Guyanese El Dorados and the Bajan St Nicholas Abbey rums.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoc View Post
Check out Chip's rum howler blog for reviews: http://therumhowlerblog.wordpress.com/ He has probably reviewed many of these rums.
Thanks for the Props Edoc!

I flipped through the entire menu and would like to Suggest Ron Atlantico based on your desire for a sweeter rum, Ron Matusalem 15 because I think it is nicer than the 18 (not as sweet as Atlantico but should suit your tastes) and my third suggestion would be the Pusser's 15 which might be just out of your comfort zone but which is a great Rum!

Then again your own list was pretty good too!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
1C5

Thanks for the suggestions!

And Artic, I love your rum blog, I have visited it MANY times. Very nice page.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
1C5

And good call on the Ron Matusalem 15, I have this one and really like it too.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Edoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C5 View Post
I think that all four of the rums you're inclined to try are mildly sweet. The two sweetest are Vizcaya and Zaya. Of those two, Zaya (in my opinion) has a mellow flavor, like maple syrup. Vizcaya has a stronger, more exotic range of flavors.

Santa Teresa is a very unique rum. I enjoy it very much, although I think its sherry-like flavor makes it an outlier in the rum world. Zafra has bourbon barrel characteristics, like aging the more mellow Zaya in bourbon barrels for 20 years.
Edoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions