MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

107 years ago in 1913, Destileria Colombiana was established in Columbia.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
1967cougar

Default New and looking for rum advice for trip to mexico

Hi,

I'm a new member to the forum and am looking for a bit of advice. I'll be in mexico at months end for a brief escape from winter, and would like to know if theres any great rums that are available there, but not in the US. I'm looking for something similar to Pyrat XO or Pyrat Cask 23 (which is my favorite rum by far). thanks for any help!
1967cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #2
Rum Runner

Welcome to the forums 1967cougar.

Perhaps if you tell us what parts of Mexico you are traveling to or through our members here may be able to serve you better with suggestions.

By all means let us know what you find upon your return...And when you find the time please pop over to the Introductions Forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
1967cougar

we'll be in the playa del carmen area. I've searched on the forum using mexico as a key word and am starting to get an idea of whats available. Looks like a lot of great choices. Being strictly a scotch guy til recently, I'm looking forward to discovering some great rums!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #4
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967cougar View Post
Being strictly a scotch guy til recently, I'm looking forward to discovering some great rums!
We love it when you "strictly Scotch" guys come over to the rum side. It's a whole new world of spirits.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
STR1DER

Send a message via AIM to STR1DER

I've been to the same area a few times and never end up finding much wild selection. Havana Club 7 is in great supply, though, which I happen to love. I use the facts that a.)It's a Cuban treat difficult to obtain stateside, and b.)I'm on vacation, to justify as much as a bottle a day when I'm down there!
STR1DER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #6
rumdog46

Send a message via Yahoo to rumdog46

Welcome to the darkside, lol! the darksdie of rum that is. Glad to have another convert. May you find some of lifes simple pleasures both in here and your next glass of rum.

So Many Rums So Little Time
rumdog46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
1967cougar

I keep forgetting that I can drink the "forbidden" cuban stuff while down there. I was just focused on what to bring back, even though I suspect a bottle or 2 may find itself into the luggage, next to the "mexican" cigars!! Seems like Havana Club 7 is a favorite around here.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
Ben

Hi Cougar,

The Pyrat is pretty unique in the rum world, with its strong orange flavor. Some suspect that this flavor is not natural, i.e. that Patron (the maker) spices it to get that taste.

You will find the best selection of rums in Playa on the Fifth Avenue. There's a store called Liverpool where you can find some pretty good rums, and you have a lot of smaller stores with decent selection as well. Apart from Cuban rums, which you are not supposed to bring back, I guess you should get some Mexican rums. Mocambo is available in the States, but not widely. Their 20 yrs art edition, as well as their 10 yrs pistol-shaped bottle, are pretty cool. These rums will be a lot cheaper in Playa than in the States.

At the Cancun airport you will find a selection of Havana Club, Brugal, Flor de Cana, Barcelo and other favorites.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:16 AM   #9
1967cougar

Thanks Ben for the details. 5th avenue is a favorite shopping strip for my wife. She loves the silver. Looks like there will be more than enough for me to look through. On past trips I'd look for a scotch or whisky that made it through to mexico, but always go away disappointed. At least now I feel confident that I'll get a couple of interesting bottles of rum.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
leisure master

Hey 1967Cougar - Playa is one of my favorite warm weather spots. You've got some great advice to check out fifth avenue shops, but also check out the large supermarket that is close to fifth avenue. I can't remember the name of the market, but it is HUGE and it is on that main street that leads from the highway into downtown Playa and it is 3 or 4 blocks before you get to fifth avenue. I found a huge spirits selection there - with just about all the havana club rums and good prices since it's not primarily for tourists.

When you first head into Playa down that main street off the highway, keep your eye open on the right side of the road and you will definitely see the store I am talking about - it looks like any huge US supermarket with parking lot out front. I think the name begins with a "J" for some reason.

Also, you definitely have to keep your eye on those sneaky HC rums - everytime I come home from Mexico, I find that 2 or 3 bottles have always somehow hidden themselves in my luggage, only to be discovered when I unpack...such a mystery...

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions