MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

20 years ago in 2000, the Roig sugar factory in Yabucoa and the Coloso factory in Aguada, not far from where the first sugar cane had been brought to the island 385 years before, closed.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #11
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by killick View Post
Can anyone tell if this is worth while buying? This is new on the shelf here and it 's called Pampero Selection 1938. I passed it up to buy one of my favorite Rum's Zaya Gran Reservia. I like to try new Rums but thought I'd see if I could get any remarks here.
There doesn't seem to be much info about the Pampero Seleccion 1938 anywhere. I'd been looking for a bottle for a while until I stumbled upon one in Brussels at the weekend (I was on a Belgian beer weekend but still managed to find time to fit some rum into the trip). I'll report back here when I get around to opening it.

Last edited by gatomalo; 02-23-2009 at 09:55 AM.
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
Don Piero

The Pampero Seleccion 1938 is a very good rum. The LCBO was carrying it but is no longer available. Never had the Aniversarios, but the Seleccion 1938is worth buying - you won't disappointed.
Don Piero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:31 AM   #13
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Piero View Post
The Pampero Seleccion 1938 is a very good rum. The LCBO was carrying it but is no longer available. Never had the Aniversarios, but the Seleccion 1938is worth buying - you won't disappointed.
Don Piero, thanks for sharing your positive impression of the 1938. The Aniversario is one of my favourites so I've got high hopes for the 1938 - I hope I'm not disappointed!
Old 02-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
Lew Barrett

You had to know I was going to chime in here!

Something I have observed before on these pages is that Aniversario rarely wins the very top honors in tasting or reviews, meaning it consistently gets rated at 8 or 9 out of 10. But, if you ask rum lovers their opinion, we universally rate it as one of the best. I think it has broad general appeal, but few are prepared to rate it as their number one choice. Now, I eschew "number one choices" but for me, Pampero Aniversario is a clear runner for that honor in my collection. It is something I just won't be without. I find it classic in it's profile, everything I think of when the word "rum" is mentioned. Rich, dark, satisfying, I can enjoy it anytime. Highly recommended as a cornerstone of any rum lover's cabinet options, I don't think you can go wrong with it. .
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 AM   #15
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
You had to know I was going to chime in here!

Something I have observed before on these pages is that Aniversario rarely wins the very top honors in tasting or reviews, meaning it consistently gets rated at 8 or 9 out of 10. But, if you ask rum lovers their opinion, we universally rate it as one of the best. I think it has broad general appeal, but few are prepared to rate it as their number one choice. Now, I eschew "number one choices" but for me, Pampero Aniversario is a clear runner for that honor in my collection. It is something I just won't be without. I find it classic in it's profile, everything I think of when the word "rum" is mentioned. Rich, dark, satisfying, I can enjoy it anytime. Highly recommended as a cornerstone of any rum lover's cabinet options, I don't think you can go wrong with it. .
I completely agree! The Aniversario is the one rum which I make sure I am fully stocked up on at all times. It's quite expensive here in the UK (over £30 a bottle) so I usually pick it up several bottles when I go to Spain.

It is the rum which first got me interested in this noble spirit, and since those early days it has always been with me, constantly maintaining its lofty position in my estimation even as my tastes change and other rums come and go. I have never tired of it, nor have I found anything which hits the mark in quite the same way.

The Aniversario will always be one of the most important and trusted generals in my army, and I would not dream of going into battle without it by my side!

Last edited by gatomalo; 02-26-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
Jason

I just found a lone bottle of Pampero Seleccion 1938 at a store not far from where I live. I didn't buy it as I just grabbed the Flor de Cana 12 earlier today, but from the sounds of it I might have to go back ad get this guy before someone else does!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I just found a lone bottle of Pampero Seleccion 1938 at a store not far from where I live. I didn't buy it as I just grabbed the Flor de Cana 12 earlier today, but from the sounds of it I might have to go back ad get this guy before someone else does!
I bought a bottle of the 1938 in Belgium last month. I've not opened it yet, but from what I've found out on the internet it's supposed to be pretty good. I'm waiting for the right moment to crack it open, but if it's anything like the Aniversario (I'm led to believe they are similar) then it should be something special!

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions