MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

107 years ago in 1913, Destileria Colombiana was established in Columbia.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
1C5

Default Rum buying advice for Canadians

I am in Manitoba, Canada and am quite now to the world of rums, but I do have around 23 in my collection so far, but I am wondering if someone could give me help with what are good "values" in Canada and what are way overpriced. For example, I tried the Pyrat XO when in the US and at $27 US it is an awesome rum. But they just recently got it here in Manitoba and it is $60. So at that price, I feel it is overpriced and not worth it when I can get Mount Gay XO or similiar rums for near half the price.

I am hoping if I list some rums I am interested in and the prices here in Canada, you could let me know which ones are good values and which ones are overpriced/and or I can wait until I travel to the US to try.

Appleton 21 year $150
Appleton extra 12 year $37
Appleton Legacy $90

Bacardi 8 year $29

Barbancourt res spec 8 year $30

Cockspur 12 year $34

flor de cana cent 12yo $34
flor de cana grand res 7yo $28

diplomatico res exclusiva rum $46
diplomatico reserva rum $31

mount gay extra old rum $40

ron zacapa centenario 23yo $80

zaya gran reserva 12yr $100

Thanks!!!
1C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Tiki Mon

Hey 1C5,

I live in Ontario and I can comment on a couple of the rums you listed.

Mount Gay XO is about the same price in the US

Zaya is way cheaper in stores in Michigan. I paid $20 for my last bottle at a clearance sale at Meijer. It's usually $38- $40

Bacardi 8 is $18 at the duty free store on the US side for a 1L bottle
Tiki Mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Ruminsky Van Drunkenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1C5 View Post

I am hoping if I list some rums I am interested in and the prices here in Canada, you could let me know which ones are good values and which ones are overpriced/and or I can wait until I travel to the US to try.

Thanks!!!
I think you might want to come over to Alberta for cheaper high-end rums. The Zaya is $60 here, and the 21 year old Appleton is ~$120. The lower tiers are about on par price-wise with what you have listed, in the high twenties and low thirties. The Pyrat's XO (which I have gone on record as disliking for its enormous orange nose) is around $60.

From what several gleeful Yanks have informed me, we still pay higher prices than they do. However, I believe there are several locally available rums under fifty bucks which deliver bang for that buck, and listed them last Christmas on Liquorature -- I'm blocked at work, so I can't send the link here, but will post it tonight.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Calgaryx

Many of the high end rums are cheaper in Alberta than you can find in the states. Appleton 30 is 310.oo compared to 350 in the states. English harbour 25 is 188.00 compared to 350.00 in the states.
Most are cheaper in Alberta than other provinces due to the tax laws. We are taxed on the volumn not the value.
Calgaryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Ruminsky Van Drunkenberg

Ten decent rums under $50: the link, as promised. There are more, but this is what I came up with at that time.

http://www.liquorature.com/?p=861
Old 02-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
DJ Mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki Mon View Post
Hey 1C5,

I live in Ontario and I can comment on a couple of the rums you listed.

Mount Gay XO is about the same price in the US

Zaya is way cheaper in stores in Michigan. I paid $20 for my last bottle at a clearance sale at Meijer. It's usually $38- $40

Bacardi 8 is $18 at the duty free store on the US side for a 1L bottle
I was curious about the Zaya going for only $20 at Meijer since the minimum shelf price set by the state is $39. I found out that if a retailer has stock they have not moved in awile they can petition the state LC and get permission to sell it lower than minimum shelf price. However, they can't order that product again for a long time. I'm going to have head over to my local Meijer.
DJ Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Tiki Mon

Hey DJ,

The store I went to was in Northville on Haggerty Road. Went over to Embassy Suites in Livonia with a whole group for New Year's. I had already picked up a couple of bottles at the Brass Mug but when I visited the Meijer store for a few munchies I noticed an employee putting a number of bottles on a clearance rack. I had never seen Zaya at any Meijer store before so I was suprised to see it there......especially on a discount rack. I asked her what the price was but all she knew is that everything was reduced by 50% or more. I took the bottle and scanned it a a U-scan station and it came up at $20.25. Needless to say it stayed in my cart. They had only 1 bottle but there were a few other spirits on the rack. Tommy Bahama was the only other rum but there were a number of bottles of Tequila and vodka. I would have grabbed a few others but I have to be careful coming back across the bridge.
Tiki Mon is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions