MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

518 years ago in 1500, The Spanish Crown permitted export of slaves to America.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
erickaye

Default NY Ministry of Rum Festival

Happy to be the first to post about an absolutely outstanding Rum Festival here in NY. Thankfully, I was able to take copious notes, unfortunately which I'm too inebriated to post right now. I will post a more sober recap in the morning, but there was a splendid array of rums to be tasted. Even at 1/4 shots, you still end up with 15 or so jiggers of rum. Thanks to good old pen and paper. It was wonderful to finally meet Ed as well, and much kudos for putting this together.

Better recap in the AM when I'm more coherent, but without a doubt, my personal grand prize goes to Vizcaya. What a wonderful rum. Reminds me of what Zacapa used to be 10 years ago.... I still can't believe it's an agricole.

More tomrrow.
EK
erickaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
RonJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickaye View Post
Even at 1/4 shots,
I have no idea who was filling your glass my friend...but I actually had to tell quite a few to be easy on me. Thats not something I ever thought I'd be doing.

I finally got to meet Ed, RumBar Philly, and leisure master. We must have crossed paths erick but my head is still pounding so it might be awhile until I remember.

To summarize, this was a blast! And if you have the ability to attend in the future, do. I heard from several that it was even better than last year which is something you like to see happen. I am very, very impressed with Ed and this tasting. Ed was running around MAKING things happen early on, and what impressed me the most was that he MADE time to talk to me. That is very dear to me and I can not begin to describe how much I appreciate it. Kuddo's again and a better posts describing the rums to follow.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
RonJames

All right, here we go off my rum infused memory of last night...One thing I do remember is that I didn't have a bad rum. Honestly.

Mamajuana-best rum of the show. Odd choice I know but EXTREMELY different. I don't run into too many spiced spanish rums and this one is amazing but strong spice tastes

Brinley-I met Zack Brinley last night and what a treat. I love Brinleys anyway but if ever there was a situation where I would buy the product just because I like the people(person) this is it.

Santa Teresa-greeted me first...with a flight of 6 rums! Ouch.

Smith&Cross-quite possibly the best navy rum I've had

Scarlet Ibis-mellow unasuming entry and then a hard kick

Chairmans Reserve and Admiral Rodney-both good and coming to the states!

Regatta Ginger beer-very smooth and sweet, I have to see if it uses HFCS

Zaya-oh so vanilla-y

Neisson and La favorite-my 1st vieux rhum, very nice.

Brugal-extra viejo, very very approachable

Ron Abuelo-the 7 and 12 years are very spanish island like. Light and refined.

zacapa-was itself, very good

cruzan-I actually didn't try as I'm stocked with everything they had.

El Dorado-oh my god was the 15 good, heavy esthers and banana. 21 was good too.

Vizcaya-a wonderful rum. On of those that transports you to a different time and location mentally. Cloves were in full effect.

Mt Gay-3 cheers for cracking open the 1703, and IT IS worth every penny. It explodes out of the glass with a scent that is fresh and citrus like.

Diplomatico-good sweet and heavy, strong body to go along with the sweet

I know that there are some that I am forgetting and I did not try the cachaca as I've never really developed a taste for it. But wow, great stuff, great time, good people.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
leisure master

What they said.

It was great to see Ed and Adam again and to finally meet Ron. Sorry we did not cross paths EK - but I am sure we will have other chances in the future.

It was great to sip on old favorites like Zacapa, Zaya, Vizcaya, Mount Gay 1703, Diplimatico R/E and El Dorado 15, but I was really happy to see so many new rums - Smith & Cross, the Abuelo 7 anos and 12 anos, the Hispaniolas and the new Santa Teresas.

Like I said somewhere else - thanks and congratulations Ed on an excellent event that seemed to run flawlessly for the attendees.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisure master View Post
. . . an excellent event that seemed to run flawlessly for the attendees.
Thanks for the comments, presentation is everything. Thanks to you and the others that made this event seem to run flawlessly.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
lperry

Many thanks to Ed for organizing such a fun event!

Nobody has mentioned the liqueurs that Santa Teresa offered, so I will. The rhum-based orange is just delicious. I won't drink either Cointreau or Grand Marnier straight, but this one is a lovely sipping liqueur with rich orange flavor and caramel undertones that I can imagine would be perfect on a chilly winter's night. It is beautifully smooth. The coffee was lovely as well.

Mr. lperry liked the Diplomatico better than anything else, and I liked the El Dorado 15. I also will be picking up a bottle of Scarlet Ibis the next chance I get. I think this one will be an excellent mixer. We're still in NY, but when I get home I'll post a picture of our fearless leader at the festival.

Last edited by lperry; 10-06-2009 at 05:49 PM.
lperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #7
erickaye

Default My recap...

OK. I've somewhat recovered from last night. An absolutely amazing event, with amazingly friendly and knowledgeable vendors and tasters alike. At $50 this was an absolute steal. You can spend that on 2 cocktails at some bars in NYC. Ed - You are my hero.

Tasting 50+ rums is definitely an endurance test. I found myself skipping many of the whites and flavored rums, solely in an attempt to preserve my palate and sobriety.
Having said that, here are a few of my hits and misses, solely according to my personal tastes. I generally prefer sipping rums to cocktails, and prefer molasses rums to agricoles.

Vizcaya - I can't believe it's an agricole. A wonderfully rich and smooth rum, with none of that agricole bite. Extra points for having the owners of the company, Riccardo and Herman, pouring the rum. At less than $40, it should give El Dorado 15 and Zacapa a solid run for their money. Probably my favorite rum of the evening.

Hispanola Mamajuana - A pleasant surprise. What a beautiful spiced rum. Complex and tasty, with too many different spices to count them all. Unlike anything else at the event. Hard to believe it was 60 proof. Tasted closer to 40 proof. Definitely worth adding this one to the collection. The Hispanola anejo was decent, but nothing special. Reminded me of most of the other Dominican rums. The gran anejo was a step up, but the Mamajuana was the definite winner from Hispanola. I didn't try the white.

Mount Gay 1703- This was a fantastic rum. Since the Tricentennial has become extinct, this is the best Mt Gay has to offer. At $99 a bottle, it's definitely pricey, but well worth it. Wonderfully rich and complex. Oaky spicy goodness. Yum. Up there in that price/quality tier of the Zacapa XO, Appletons 21, and El Dorado 21.

El Dorado - Consistently wonderful. Unfortunately they ran out of the 21 before I could get to it, but the 12 and 15 were as good as they always were. Also tried the El Dorado Rum Cream, which was, not surprisingly, one of the better rum creams out there, if you're in to that sort of thing. At $15 a bottle, it's a no brainer to have in your collection. Ian Lye of Demerara Rum also told us an amusing story about the Chairman of the company not being able to get any of the 25 year. If you've got a bottle of the El Dorado 25, make it last until April. That's when the next batch will be ready...

Zaya - I hadn't realized it became a Trinidadian Angostura rum. Not surprisingly, that's what it tasted like. Similar enough to still be called Zaya, but a much stronger vanilla note, and sweeter than the old as well. Definitely drinkable and enjoyable though. Best to think of it as a new rum with an old name. Had it been called anything else, it would have been a great new discovery. Wonder why they tried to keep the Zaya name, which doesn't have huge name recognition in the first place.

Brugal//Barcelo - These Dominicans have always been very similar to me. The Brugal anejo and extra viejo and the Barcelo anejo all tasted like high quality mixing darks. The Barcelo Imperial was more complex and tastier. Surprisingly, though, they had it sitting in a bowl of ice, which chilled it and took away most of the complexity. When I tasted from an unchilled bottle, it became quite rich and enjoyable.

Abuelo - I'd only had the regular Ron Abuelo before, and it was nice to taste the 7 and 12 anos. A solid Panamanian competitor in the vein of other Spanish rums, similar to the Brugal/Barcelo types.

Cabana Cachaca - Not a huge cachaca fan, and although this was pleasant enough, I don't think it's meant to be drunk straight. It made a wonderful cocktail though, especially with the jalapeno lemon syrup.

Diplomatico - Been a fan of this Venezuelan for a while. The reserva exclusiva may be my favorite Venezuelan rum. More importantly, they had the rare and elusive Rum Blanco on hand. Why is this not yet available in the States? There's nothing quite like it out there, a smooth, sipping, 12 year old white rum. Very happy to see it and taste it once more. I really like this rum.

Zacapa - It's so hard for me to rave about this rum. In the wicker bottle days, this was my favorite rum in the world. It is no longer that rum. It has had two distinct drops in quality since those days. The woman pouring it tried to convince me it's the same rum it has always been, and they changed the label from 23 anos to 23 solera for legal reasons. I asked her how long she'd been working for Zacapa. She answered, "One year". I was also disappointed but not surprised they had no XO on hand. I would give an eyetooth for a case of the old wicker Zacapa....

Santa Teresa 1796 - Another welcome old favorite, holding up well with the other premium sipping rums.

Smith & Cross - A great Jamaican Navy rum. Strong, too. Wish I'd tasted it earlier in the night, since by the end of the night my palate was shot, as was my mind. I do remember enjoying it.
Scarlet Ibis - less memorable than the Smith and Cross.
St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram - Not sure when I would ever drink this rum. Intensely strong allspice flavor, with pepper, clove and cinnamon thrown in to boot. Might be good as a digestive.

Neisson Reserve Speciale - Again, I'm not a huge agricole fan, but I enjoyed this rum. If I were forced to drink French agricoles, this would be the one. The other Neisson agricoles were solid, if that's your thing.

So - So rums.
Cruzan Blackstrap - Going after the Goslings market. Very similar, yet a bit sweeter than Goslings, in my opinion. Needed to try it as a dark and stormy to properly compare. No reason to drink straight.
Cruzan Single Barrel - I'm not sure why this rum gets rave reviews. It's just an average aged rum to me. There are easily a dozen other rums I'd rather drink.

Regatta Ginger beer - Hard to rate a ginger beer along with 50 rums, but it was a relatively simple mixer, with sweet hints of ginger. I tend to prefer my ginger beer with a lot more bite to it. This was on the smoother side.

Some of the misses.
Brinley - The vanilla rum was far too sweet for my tastes. Almost syrupy. The coconut was a little better, but I don't think I'll ever love the flavored rums. The Brinley folk were wonderfully nice. I just wish I liked their rum better.

Tommy Bahama - Trying to give Bacardi a run for their money, complete with marketing swag such as shotglasses and keychains. Wish they spent as much time on developing a complex rum as they do on marketing. It's like my friend who plays a "Bradivarius violin". It's a decent violin, but hard to take seriously with a name like that.

Surprising absences from the party: Appletons, Pampero, Pyrat, Angostura, Flor De Cana, Barbancourt.

The four bottles I'll definitely be adding to the collection are the Vizcaya, Hispaniola Mamajuana, Mt Gay 1703, and the Diplomatico Blanco (if it ever becomes available).

Again, major, major thanks to Ed for putting together an incredible event, from top to bottom. I'm already looking forward to next year!
erickaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I had a chance to upload pictures of last night's event here on the event page for the New York Ministry of Rum Festival 2009.

If you have more pictures you'd like to add you can email them to me.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
Edoc

I had a great time last night and enjoyed a lot of terrific rums. It was my first time trying Vizcaya, and I was blown away by this terrific & essential rum. As others mentioned above, the Hispanola Mamajuana rum has a very unique flavor, and I'm excited to track this down and add to my collection. Also, I have to mention the Mount Gay 1703-- at $100 , it's very pricey, but I think the congac-like dryness and its wonderful nose will make it hard for me to pass by if I see it on the shelf. I also enjoyed Santa Teresa's flavored offerings (the orange and the coffee rums-- natch I'm a big fan of their other rums). El Dorado had a 3 yr white rum that I thought was pretty darn good. The Neisson offerings did not impress me, but I enjoyed trying them. And while I'm not a huge fan of cachaca, the Cabana Cachaca was a good offering that I would consider trying again.

Last edited by Edoc; 10-06-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: fix a few typos
Edoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
RonJames

Off of the coment about drinking 50 rums, I forgot to mention that I also found it difficult. I might have to go on the wagon for a couple of nights just to regain my proper non-toxic levels.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions