MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

156 years ago in 1862, Barbancourt was established.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
stockdoct

Send a message via Yahoo to stockdoct
Default Monday night sipper challenge

Tonight I held a mini-tasting, just to re-introduce myself with a couple rums I've had I haven't had in a while. Who knows? Tastebuds change and (sometimes) so do the rum.

The challenge was between 3 rums of good quality and reasonable price, hoping to find one that I like to sip, or to find one that might make a great punch or mixer; I chose Cruzan Single Barrel, Matusalem Gran Reserve, and Flor De Cana 7 year old I just picked up in Rockford IL last week. I sniffed, then added a bit of water and tasted, and then added more water to dilute to almost a 50/50 mix. I did this blindly, took notes and only found out which rum was which after I was done. Here's the results

Sniffing: Cruzan had the smell I identify with "rum" the most. Matusalem was sweeter and creamier. Flor had no smell at all (funny, huh, that the rum named after a flower would have no smell?)

Tasting with a few drops of water: Cruzan had a touch of bourbon taste, which I personally don't like but I know lots of others do. Flor de Cana was delicious, but burned my tongue. Interesting, there wasn't much burn in the back of my throat, but my tongue was numb, like I had burned it on a spoonful of hot soup, for 5 minutes. I didn't try it over ice, but I bet it would be wonderful with a single ice cube for a slow sipper, if I could get the heat down a notch. Matusalem was golden, smoooooooth, sweet and I couldn't decide if I tasted more caramel or butterscotch. Yum. My favorite for sure.

Watering down more, I found Flor's taste evaporated completely. Matusalem's flavor held up nicely, and Cruzan tasted more and more like bourbon. How does that happen? Can water make the rum flavor dissipate and the whisky flavor come out? Strange.

...... My conclusions for my personal taste tonight....

Cruzan Single Barrel, I probably won't buy again. I'll use the rest I have in Mai-Tais, where I enjoy the strong flavors and the bourbon flavors are offset by the orange Curacao and the sugar syrup.

Flor De Cana (which I haven't bought in two years) impressed me as a sipper. I'll have to try it (soon!) with an ice cube and a good book.

Matusalem Gran Reserve was wonderful. Smooth as silk. A hint of sweetness and no burn. When rum non-drinkers want to know what I like about rum, I'll pass this to them with 70/30 rum-water mix and watch them smile. Certainly on my "top 10" list.

Just my own personal thoughts .... let me know what your history of these 3 rums are, and how you find each of them to be at their best

Mike
stockdoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Ben

Hi Mike,

I've tasted these three rums and we share similar interests.

I've received the Cruzan Single Barrel as a gift a few Xmas ago. It is pretty expensive here in Quebec (almost 50$). I was not impressed since I was expecting a lot given the price range. I would give it another shot still.

The FdC 7 is widely available here and makes a very decent mixer, but I would not drink it as a sipper.

Finally I had the Matusalem a couple of times and I really liked it. The bottle says something like "a cuban recipe" but also says that it is bottled in Dominican Republic, and actually I'm able to taste both in this rum. A DR-type rum to start and a Cuban-type rum in the finish. Very good.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Thanks for the notes, I just finished my first Rum Old Fashioned made with Barcelo Imperial and heading for my second with something else, and that Cruzan Single Barrel on the shelf is looking good.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Nice notes Stockdoct:

I prefer the FDC 7 both as a sipper and a mixer. The Matusalem is really nice as well, but only when I feel really mellow and have the patience to let its flavour sit on my tongue a while. Cruzan is one that at fist impressed but over time fizzled for me.

Good Job! (These comparisons are always controversial and interesting.)

Old 01-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
itsme_timd

Great tasting notes and interesting the way you did the blind tasting so you're own palate was swayed by labels.

I picked up a bottle of the Matusalem for a steal today ($17.99) and will be taste testing that one myself tomorrow!
itsme_timd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Matusalem

I would guess, and have found from time to time that the addition of water to spirits brings out some of the barrel / cask characteristics. Time (resting in the glass / open air) also can have special effects.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions