MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

126 years ago in 1893, the West Indies Rum Refinery was founded on Barbados.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 09-09-2008, 02:40 AM   #1
Ben

Default recent tastings

Hi everybody

Did a couple of tastings in the last few weeks with a few friends and I thought about sharing our views.

One rum I was eager to taste was the Cockspur Bajan Crafted 12 years, which was reintroduced in Quebec a few months ago. I had very good memories of a Cockspur extra old from a few years ago. We were quite disappointed with this new bottle though. Not a very good smell, very alcohol-like, and there was a lot of burn when drinking neat. The rum was definitely better with ice; I would only use it to mix. A poor 2/10 for all parties involved.

After the Cockspur disappointment we moved on to a 15 years Zacapa Centenario. I knew that the 23 yrs seems to be a favorite in this forum so I was eager to taste that one as well. We found it way better than the Cockspur, with hints of chocolate and wood, a sweeter taste but still strong. We gave it a 6/10 (always out of personal enjoyment).

We finished with a Plantation Trinidad 1996. Interesting color, orange - copper. The smell is interesting as well, oak barrel, tobacco. The rum is raw, strong, tasty and spicy. It has quite a unique taste, a strong personality; the kind of rum you would recognize easily among others. Grades varied from 7.5 to 8; the favorite of the night. I would be curious to try other Plantation rums.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:59 AM   #2
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
We finished with a Plantation Trinidad 1996. Interesting color, orange - copper. The smell is interesting as well, oak barrel, tobacco. The rum is raw, strong, tasty and spicy. It has quite a unique taste, a strong personality; the kind of rum you would recognize easily among others. Grades varied from 7.5 to 8; the favorite of the night. I would be curious to try other Plantation rums.
It's funny, i am having a Plantaion Panama as i type this-- love it!
i love all of the Plantation Rums i wrote what i thought about the latest releases here. . .

The Trini is amazing! i'll leave it at that, you can read more if you want by following the link.

The Panama is tricky-- much more difficult, but so amazingly worth the effort.

My two cents..
forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
Ben

Great read ! The level of detail in descriptions is almost poetic, and denotes years of experience, whereas I am more of the type : I like it - I don't like it. I guess it will come with years. By reading the post I was expecting your favorite was Guyana.

I took a look at the web site, and I can't seem to find St. Lucia. I seem to remember there was one from there.

Last edited by Ben; 09-09-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
forrest

Quote:
Great read ! The level of detail in descriptions is almost poetic, and denotes years of experience
Thank You, those are very kind words, and they are deeply appreciated.

Quote:
By reading the post I was expecting your favorite was Guyana.
God in all honesty, i am not sure which one is my "favorite". Right now i would say it is Panama, but that is because i am drinking it right now. . . it is profoundly daedal, extremely involved, and bountifully nuanced.

But that Guyana is stupefying... Most things that are deeply complex, highly intricate, rich in complicated nuance seem almost that 'simple satisfying enjoyment' takes the back seat to 'recherche wonderment', but the Guyana held these two opposing notions in tandem, with a grace and ease that i can only think of describing as-balance.

Quote:
I took a look at the web site, and I can't seem to find St. Lucia. I seem to remember there was one from there.
Yes at the time that i wrote it. the St Lucia was unavailable, but i went to a tasting (rumdog007, and Dood were there also) and the distributors Rep was there and he brought his bottle of St Lucia with him for us to taste (which was very nice of him!). St Lucia is absolutely fantastic, but we cant find it anywhere-- yet!
forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #5
Hank Koestner

I, too am a big fan of the Plantation line up.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #6
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Quote:
Hi everybody

Did a couple of tastings in the last few weeks with a few friends and I thought about sharing our views.

One rum I was eager to taste was the Cockspur Bajan Crafted 12 years, which was reintroduced in Quebec a few months ago. I had very good memories of a Cockspur extra old from a few years ago. We were quite disappointed with this new bottle though. Not a very good smell, very alcohol-like, and there was a lot of burn when drinking neat. The rum was definitely better with ice; I would only use it to mix. A poor 2/10 for all parties involved.
One reason you might not have liked the Cockspur 12 is that it isn't a 12 year old. You'll notice the label doesn't say 'years old' anymore and the blend features appreciable younger rums.

Still an enjoyable sipper though
Old 09-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulipbartender View Post
One reason you might not have liked the Cockspur 12 is that it isn't a 12 year old. You'll notice the label doesn't say 'years old' anymore and the blend features appreciable younger rums.

Still an enjoyable sipper though
Now the reason why we didn't understand the enthusiasm others felt for this rum is apparent: we have the later and lesser bottling.

Thanks again for your invaluable assistance.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
Dood

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest View Post
Yes at the time that i wrote it. the St Lucia was unavailable, but i went to a tasting (rumdog007, and Dood were there also) and the distributors Rep was there and he brought his bottle of St Lucia with him for us to taste (which was very nice of him!). St Lucia is absolutely fantastic, but we cant find it anywhere-- yet!
Guillaume is a cool dude. I can't wait for the St. Lucia to make it here. It was really great stuff.

I also have to agree with Forrest that the Panama is just unbelievably good.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:34 AM   #9
primate77

Count me in the "I like/I don't like" camp - and I'm not ashamed to admit it!!!
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:40 AM   #10
RumBarPhilly

Quote:
The Plantation Trinidad is my favorite in the Plantation lineup, defintely a sleeper choice as a top 10 rum of mine.
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums