MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

115 years ago in 1903, In 1903, the Serralles family installed the first continuous rum still in Puerto Rico.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
Stamina1914

Default Edward Hamilton Cruzan Info question??

I know the Cruzan recently changed their labeling and both their light and dark rums. And while the light is now aged for 14 months , the dark is still aged for 2 years. In your rum description page you have the dark down as being aged for 14 months.

Not complaining, buy just trying to ensure that your site is as accurate as possible.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Matusalem

Good point.

I'm not a Cruzan guy although Edward informs me I probably own more than I knew in some weird bottles I've got that were likely sold off rums from the distillery.

That said, and definitely not saying this is the case here - but something to be weary of is differentiating an actual age statement from label literature, particularly with a spirit like rum that has open interpretations across a variety of countries.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Both the dark and light Cruzan rums are now being aged 14 months instead of two years, which used to be the standard.
If you're finding a 2 year old dark in your area you're finding old stock, the next shipment to your area will be the newer 14 month rum.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
krustykrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Both the dark and light Cruzan rums are now being aged 14 months instead of two years, which used to be the standard.
If you're finding a 2 year old dark in your area you're finding old stock, the next shipment to your area will be the newer 14 month rum.
Ed, are you sure of that RE the dark rum? We have all new stock around here, and I'm sure I checked carefully and the dark with the new label still says 'aged 2 years' even though it no longer has the huge 2 on it like the old stock, while the light has the same label as dark, but says 'aged 14 months'.

Of course, I tried to check on their website and they still list BOTH as 2 year...? Ha - hanging onto the past, I guess...

Anyway, if change is coming to the dark as well, not just the new label, but a different product, that'll involve some stocking up, so it'd be good to know... thanks.
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

We're seeing the last of the Cruzan light and dark marked with 2 years here in South Florida. The light seems to have changed over quicker. There's more dark rum labeled 2 still on the shelves in many stores.

It's only a matter of time until the stock with the numeral 2 disappears.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Stamina1914

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post
We're seeing the last of the Cruzan light and dark marked with 2 years here in South Florida. The light seems to have changed over quicker. There's more dark rum labeled 2 still on the shelves in many stores.

It's only a matter of time until the stock with the numeral 2 disappears.
Many of the liquor stores no longer carry the dark Cruzan Rum with the numeral 2 on it. Like the new light, where the “2” was, on the dark you now have an image of a star on the bottle.

Either way, the actually label on the small print, still denotes that the dark is a 2 year rum while the light is a 14month rum and according to Cruzan, the dark rum will remain 2 year aged rum.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
seabass

Is there really a big difference between the 14 month and the 2 year? Should I be hoarding 2 yr right now?
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Stamina1914

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass View Post
Is there really a big difference between the 14 month and the 2 year? Should I be hoarding 2 yr right now?
When it comes to the light rums yes. The new one is not terrible, heck I wouldn't even call it bad, In fact it is pretty good. However the 2 year old is a fantastic award winning light rum.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
stockdoct

Send a message via Yahoo to stockdoct

How about the gold variety? I haven't yet seen the new Cruzan on our rural shelves --- we still sell the "2 year" exclusively. Has anyone tasted the old gold vs new side-to-side?
stockdoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #10
Matusalem

FWIW,

It also isn't completely unheard of for a company to run out its excess supply of old labels.

Could it be that some of these "newer" bottles have older labels affixed to them? This practice seems a bit more common of back labeling where descriptive literature and acclaims to the product is sometimes placed - more so than the front wording where actual age statements tend to display.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions