MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

179 years ago in 1842, La Favorite was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:41 AM   #1
hmsbounty

Default Spice Free Zone: here for rum advice for my dad

About me, let's see, I'm not that exciting since I don't drink! But I know someone who does, my dad is a rum lover. My main concerns right now are 1) how can Manchester United beat Chelsea this weekend and 2) getting my dad some good rum as a gift.

I don't know if it's ok to talk about that here or if there's another section but here goes... dad loves dark rum. HATES spiced rum. Got him a bottle of Kraken a couple years back, big mistake. Right color, wrong flavor. When he talks about rum, he talks about Pusser's and Black Seal as everyday type stuff.

I'd like to get him 3 or 4 bottles of quality dark rum. I'm doing some "online research" but most of the quality looking brands appear to be spiced (El Dorado 15, Diplomatico Reservo) so those are out. Pyrat? Blackwell Jamaican?

Any advice would be welcome. I'm in the USA. Buying online is fine if that's what it takes. I don't mind spending to get him something memorable/exotic/funky. Just remember the rules: the darker the better, and no spice.
hmsbounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
Berbician

Welcome to the forums. El Dorado 15 year old is not spiced and is an excellent rum. In fact you can't go wrong with any of the El Dorado range. The only spiced rum they make is called El Dorado Spiced. None of the others are spiced.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
Illogical

I also love the darker rums - these are my recommendations none of which are too expensive:

1. Appleton Extra 12 years. Not that dark, but full of the right flavours. He should appreciate this one.
2. Plantation XO Barbados. The presentation is first class, the rum inside is very tasty. Very similar to Mount Gay XO, but less smoke and more coconut. If dad likes his smoky Scotch, maybe go for the Mount Gay XO instead.
3. Myers Original Dark - this is a great mixing rum and not expensive, so very useful to have it to hand when larger amounts of rum are flowing. Alternatives are Captain Morgan Black or Goslings Black Seal.
4. Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva - this is not a spiced rum, and is very different to what I imagine your dad is used to. However it is a very good quality sipping rum, sweet and clean tasting, very smooth. If you want to stick to the more piratey end of the spectrum, then skip this one and go for...
5. Lambs Navy Rum. If he is from the UK, I am sure he will have stories to tell about this rum!

If for some reason any of these are hard to find, here are a few rums that I find to be good value as an alternative: Cockspur Fine Rum, Bacardi Black, Mount Gay Eclipse, Havana Club 7, Smith & Cross, Conde de Cuba 7, English Harbour Rum 5 YO, Angostura Gold 5 YO.

Manchester United beat Chelsea? That probably won't happen the form they are in. Eden Hazard is on fire, they will need to contain him.

So how many years until you can share a tot with the old man?
Illogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
hmsbounty

Excellent, thank you guys so much!

I can drink but it's just not for me. I understand why other people enjoy it and I probably will have to have some rum with my dad when I give him his gifts. It will be fun.

I was planning on buying about 4 bottles so that gives me a lot of options to choose from.

The match will be tough going this weekend - I'm not expecting a result so at least I got one here. Will definitely get some El Dorado 15 and the Diplomatico sounds like a winner as well. Now I can investigate some of these others and make some choices.

I promise to share my tasting notes!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:39 AM   #5
Carl

Pyrat tastes more like Cointreau than rum. It ain't spiced, but its more like a liqueur. Don't think he'd like it.
Screech and Old Sam are real rums. Cheap too.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
Illogical

The El Dorade 8 I tried for the first time would also be a worthwhile purchase. I have not tried any of the others from them, but if they are all of that quality then they would be worth looking for.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #7
hmsbounty

The match today was awful but I did buy the rum. Thanks everyone for your input.

I got Appleton 12, Diplomatico 12, Pusser's, Mount Gay, and El Dorado 15. I think that will get the job done!

I can drink but it's just not for me. I will probably have a taste though and will share my thoughts
Old 01-20-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Illogical

Let us know! It sounds like a fine selection. Which Mount Gay did you get? The Extra Old?

I have not tried the Pussers yet, it is on my list though!
Old 01-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
hmsbounty

I went with the Mount Gay Eclipse.

I might need to start drinking after watching Manchester United fall apart...
Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 AM   #10
Ben

I'm too late for this time, but next time you may want to try Gosling's Old Family Reserve or Myers Legend, since your dad likes dark rums. Pusser's has a 15 years as well that could be a good idea.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions