MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

91 years ago in 1929, Destilerias Unidas S.A.C. was established in Peru.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #41
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I don't consider Cruzan Blackstrap a sipping rum, but I think it has found its place as a topper on planters punches, when I have a bottle around. I also like to add a bit of it to my bbq marinade. I've also enjoyed a bit of it in my pancake batter, but I prefer something a little lighter in the syrup, maybe a little Barbancourt 3 star.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:29 AM   #42
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I've also enjoyed a bit of it in my pancake batter, but I prefer something a little lighter in the syrup, maybe a little Barbancourt 3 star.
Pancakes again!
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:34 AM   #43
RumBarPhilly

We actually served the Black Strap in our rum dinner we had a few months back. We paired it with Gosling Gourmet's Dark and Stormy Spiced Rum Cake topped with a vanilla drizzle, it went really well. I think the bittersweetness of the rum countered the rich cake very well.

I do like to sip it, Ill admit, on the rocks though, I could do neat, but throwing ice in it helped a lot
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #44
bluewave6

Another one I woul dhave to add my list is Ron Sante Fe from Columbia. This has a very strong metalic after taste. I associated the after taste with the when I was a kid and used to bite down on the lead crimp sinkers on my line while fishing....left the same taste in my mouth.
bluewave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #45
Lew Barrett

I rarely meet a premium pour I don't find something to like about (not that I've met all that many) but in the more elevated category, I'll be bold and throw a name out. I found Cockspur 12 Year to be underwhelming. I thought it was pretty flat tasting, just mostly hot, and not what I'd hope for in a $30 bottle. I see that it's an award winner and with adherents on the forum, so I wonder if I missed something, or it's just that my tastes are not developed.

I've decided to edit this with an addition. Every review I read of this rum puts it squarely as a premium, enjoyable rum. I don't mean to pan it outright, but I do question it's value, at least to me.
Clearly to many it's not a world's worst rum, or even in the category by most reasonable standards. But of my best bottles, it is my least favorite for the reasons I named. I'm just wondering if I got a bad bottle (if such is possible) or haven't given it the chance it deserves. I tried it again last night with the same results. To my tastes, an alcohol drink with little character. I'd think one might expect more at the price.

Last edited by Lew Barrett; 01-12-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #46
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr
Default Black Strap Pina Colada

A recent trip to Key West found the wife and I re-visiting one of our favorite haunts -- we spent our honeymoon there 25 years ago -- at the Casa Marina resort, our collective memories in sync: those frozen pina coladas we enjoyed back then on the beach as the sun went down were heavenly. So, we headed back as the sun was falling into the horizon, watched a cruise ship depart, birds flying in formation and ordered a pair of pina coladas, hoping for blissful reprise.

The drinks came with what might be described as dark sludge from the Exxon Valdez laying on the bottom of these creamy concoctions. A taste revealed a rich, sweet, black syrup-based component that could only be Cruzan Black Strap Molasses. The flavor it contributed to the drink was completely unique in the universe of pina coladas, wonderfully rich and tropical and satisfying. Although not the same as we sampled a quarter-decade ago, the experience was enjoyable and delightful.

There is a time and a place and a reason to choose this unique rum, but out of context it could be considered without merit.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #47
BStout

pomalco. it is a horrible rum made in peru. the regular level is god awful, good for sterilizing toothbushes and curing athletes foot (if you don't mind sticky toes). the seven year is drinkable, but better mixed with anything that overwhlms the taste.

this is not to knock peruvian rum. i enjoy cartavio very much. their basic amber is excellent for mixing, and not bad on the rocks. the 1929 (which no longer claims to be a twelve year,and i think the most recent bottles don't claim any age for their solera system)

a let down for me was flor de cana. neither the five, nor the twelve year do much for me. it seems to have an abrupt beginning and very little finish. not sure why all the hype on that one.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:54 PM   #48
stockdoct

Send a message via Yahoo to stockdoct

I had fun last night.

While playing cards with friends --- wine drinkers, one of whom drinks Tommy Bahama mixed in Coke occasionally, I introduced them to a few sips of really good rums. In turn, we tried English Harbor with a cube of ice, then Ron Zacapa 23 y/o, then Zaya 12 year old......................then Tommy Bahama dark.

They shouted, made really horrific faces, spit out the Tommy, calling it "gasoline", "kerosene", *nasty sh*t* and other expletives I can't write on a public forum. Then I showed them what they were drinking.

I really do believe rums like Bacardi and Tommy would be shunned by the average public, if the world was introduced to the really fine rums of the world. I thank this board for introducing them to me.

Mike
stockdoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:50 PM   #49
RumBarPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post
The drinks came with what might be described as dark sludge from the Exxon Valdez laying on the bottom of these creamy concoctions. A taste revealed a rich, sweet, black syrup-based component that could only be Cruzan Black Strap Molasses. The flavor it contributed to the drink was completely unique in the universe of pina coladas, wonderfully rich and tropical and satisfying. Although not the same as we sampled a quarter-decade ago, the experience was enjoyable and delightful.
Similar drink, Ive made Painkillers with Whalers Dark and its a great change of pace from the Pussers. Ill bet the Black Strap would work just as well as the Whalers Dark.
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:51 AM   #50
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
I rarely meet a premium pour I don't find something to like about (not that I've met all that many) but in the more elevated category, I'll be bold and throw a name out. I found Cockspur 12 Year to be underwhelming. I thought it was pretty flat tasting, just mostly hot, and not what I'd hope for in a $30 bottle.
Cockspur does have a lot of new oak taste. To appreciate this aspect in a rum one would almost have to be a Bourbon drinker as well. So if you don't like Bourbon, then you probably won't like this either. It has a nice aroma and I would certainly use it in a mixed drink. But I find the taste a bit limited for just sipping.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions