MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

496 years ago in 1523, The first sugar cane processing plant on Puerto Rico is built.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum News

Links to articles about our favorite spirit

Old 11-17-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
Fabio

Default New Selecto Rum from Santa Teresa Venezuela

Hi,
Santa Teresa has recently launched Selecto brand under the selling name of "Blend of Rums". From their web page http://www.selecto.com.ve they claim the following:

"SELECTO, BLEND OF RUMS

Selecto, Santa Teresa’s Premium rum par excellence, which we are introducing to the world, is a blend that combines the smoothness that only experts can achieve along with a tasteful and exciting avant garde note.
Selecto appeals to a sophisticated generation that celebrates success with quality, and gives a whole new dimension to a category that is only just beginning to be discovered…
Its silky body arises from a blend of first class rums. Aging in oak barrels gives it the splendor of its characteristic golden color and woody vanilla-like aroma, making Selecto robust, complex on the palate and consistent to the end".

I have not tasted yet. I saw it in the market shelf and I was particularly impressed with price that is around 25 USD. I respect a lot Santa Teresa's heritage and particularly this Vollmer family that has done a tremendous work to maintain a Rum tradition in the country but this price is well above the buying capacity of the majority of Venezuelans. I still believe that Rum should be accessible to low socioeconomic classes. Anyway their still having Santa Teresa good value choices like Gran Reserva, Carta Roja and Superior. Marketing campaign of new Selecto is very strong with wonderful POP materials.

Hope this helps, Fabio.
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I recall a blend called Selecto from Santa Teresa that came in what we called the pineapple bottle. I heard that that rum was going to get a new bottle but I didn't know it was going to cost $25 USD. Even considering inflation and the historically low value of the US dollar, that sounds high.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Here's a jpg of the old Santa Teresa Selecto. I thought this was a special bottle until I saw a rum from India in the same bottle in a Chinese grocery store in Sint Maarten.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #4
Fabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Here's a jpg of the old Santa Teresa Selecto. I thought this was a special bottle until I saw a rum from India in the same bottle in a Chinese grocery store in Sint Maarten.
Edward,
You are right. To note, that pineapple bottle is still in the market shelf (and the new one has same name). Is it a replacement?...I do not know. In any case the price of new Selecto is 2.5X higher vs. ol Selecto pineapple bottle. To note, I just came from the supermarket and realized that Selecto pineapple (old Selecto) has a lot of shelf presence...a lot of them which I believe they are in a depletion phase/strategy. The price of new Selecto still being too high and it is not only because of inflation. Two factors I believe: 1) new government TAX for alcohol (including imported ones like whiskey), and 2) This new Selecto claims BLEND OF RUMS...I think they have either improved or added a higher % of old rums into the mix. Who knows. I am medium high class person and think this is too expense. I had paid 100 USD for Santa Teresa Bicentenario but for this one the marketing behind it is not catching me...

Regards, Fabio.

New bottle image:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini_noche_blend_045.jpg (5.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg mini_noche_blend_055.jpg (6.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg mini_noche_blend_068.jpg (6.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg mini_noche_blend_074.jpg (4.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg mini_noche_blend_082.jpg (5.2 KB, 4 views)
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News