MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

37 years ago in 1982, St George Spirits was established in Alamda, California.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
masonb09

Default Good rums to drink on the rocks

Hey everyone, new here. What are some good rums to drink on the rocks or to sip on. I usually drink white rums/cocktails. I am not a big whiskey fan like everyone else in Oklahoma. I am looking for a good rum that doesn't burn too much drinking and tastes good. I am currently drinking some Captain Morgan Private Stock and it isn't bad, but I think there could be better. It has a burn too it when I drink, please note that I really just started drinking a few months ago. What are some good smooth sippable rums. I don't want anything that burns bad or has a smokey taste to it.
masonb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Nozza

I'm probably a bit like you in that I'm not naturally a neat spirits sipper. My mouth and taste buds are pretty sensitive. Rum is in fact the only neat spirit I enjoy and really I still prefer it with some water or ice melting in it.

So my advice to you is not to worry too much about spending on sipping rums right now because they are probably a bit of a waste. You might be better off watering them down or mixing them just a touch until your taste changes, which it will over the months.

I've found that I used to mix it with say 3x the amount of coke. Obviously spending £50 a bottle on a rum you mix that dilute with coke is a total waste or money so I drank decent mixing rums. After only a short time I could hardly taste the rum that diluted and needed it 50/50 or more, and then the rum tastes really started showing and the quality matters. I still like them mixed but I usually try the rum neat and add only as much mixer as it needs.

If money is no object then you could go straight to the pricier smoother sweeter rums but you'll probably find they burn too. Straight booze is an aquired taste no doubt - just ask any child who's tried a sip of daddy's whiskey.
Nozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
jrl915

Many whiskey connoisseurs recommend adding about 25-30% of water, as it's hard to get the flavors from straight liquor. In addition, many believe that you get more flavor when it is warm (some even believe you get more flavor licking an ice cream cone than from eating the ice cream with a spoon, because it is slightly warmer--- http://www.icecreamprofits.com/artic...ream-taste.php)

Of course, everyone has their own preferences, and you should try it different ways until you find your preference.

Last edited by jrl915; 03-26-2012 at 07:07 PM.
jrl915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Kanflyer

Do you live anywhere near Tulsa? If so, you can get some great deals on rum at Parkhill's. I'd recommend a bottle of Ron Zacapa or Zaya Gran Reserva, neither are cheap, but you should be able to pick up a bottle in the $30-$35 range.

If you are sipping it, it will...at least it should...last you a lot longer than something you mix and toss back for the buzz, so price should be less of an obstacle. As in life, you get what you pay for with rum, so step out and give a few premium rums a try.

Try this--take about 1 1/2 oz of a good rum and place a single ice cube (good ice, not stale ice that's absorbed every smell in the freezer for the last month) in the glass. After about a minute, take a small sip and note your impressions. As the ice melts the rum will cool and dilute, and the flavor profile will change. You'll learn a lot about your own preference as you do this...and that is all part of the enjoyment.

Have fun!
Kanflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions