MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

136 years ago in 1883, the production of sugar from sugar beets equaled the production of sugar from sugar cane for the first time.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:02 AM   #211
JonosRum

Default Cheers

Good evening MOR family. I have been an avid and charitable rum tester for more years than I care to acknowledge. And the more I study, the more I realize how little I really know. I look forward to being enlightened by peoples' insight and making new friends!
JonosRum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:08 AM   #212
Southwabash

Default New to the rum community

I have a few friends and myself who enjoy fine rums. Not many places we can find in Chicago area but the selection today is much better than a few years ago.

I did get Chicago's Sam Liquors that was later bought out by Binny's to stock Santa Teresa rum based on a recommendation in one of the Spirits magazines.
They were not disappointed by the response. It is one of my favorites. My regular rum of choice is Ron Zacapa since some local restaurants will now carry it. Another I really like is Ron Anejo Anniversario

What prompted me to join is I am looking for Ocumare Amazonas Anejo Especial Golden Edition 12 year. I was given one as a gift and my sister was over cleaning and bumped it off its shelf shattering it to oblivion.

Is it available in the U.S. or to be shipped to the U.S. It was a gift and I am not happy losing the one I had
Southwabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #213
Edward Hamilton
Founder

The rum you are looking for isn't imported to the US. Sorry to say. The good news is that things are getting better in the windy city. There is a growing number of boutique stores in the Chicago area that are recognizing sugar cane spirits.

On another note, in 1997, there were 7 rum labels on the shelf at what was then Sam's, which was the largest liquor store in the US at the time. There were were 2 Bacardi, 1 Mount Gay, 1 Lemon Hart gold rum, 1 Appleton, 1 Myers's and one Beenleigh white rum from Australia. I wish I had taken a picture at the time but I didn't have a camera, or a phone at the time.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #214
mamajuana

If cost is no concern It could be ordered internationally from this reputable dealer:

http://www.excellencerhum.com/en/ven...-12-years.html

The shipping is high and the bottle is higher cost than it would be when it is becomes available in the US.

This rum is Labeled Ocumare “R” in Venezuela with no age statement, and Ocumare 12 in Europe. It sounds like a bottle bought outside of Venezuela and the one in that link would match what you had.

While the R or 12 have not to my knowledge been distributed in the US, The white and anejo have been. These two are very cheap! They have historically been available at Total wine in Florida. Other stores in Florida appear to have distribution as well consider this web page

http://www.67liquor.com/sku1754.html

14.99 for the Anejo rum.

In my estimation on the US market the 12 year should sell for no more than 30-35.00. Consider also that mass marketer Diageo now owns the distiller of this product, which also produces Pampero rum massively available every where I go I see it now even at mom and pop stores.

I have been following this one for a short time and I would not be surprised to see this one hitting the market within a year given all of its activity and awards in recent American rum competitions. It may be something to wait on.

If we could find out the actual importer of the current offerings it would be valuable to contact them to see if it is available state side and if not the plans of it being available.
mamajuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #215
capitaine

Cool Welcome back to USA, Cuba!

So, now we can talk about Cuban rum again, eh? :-)
capitaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:55 AM   #216
mamajuana

A quick update here on the USA Ocumare situation...

3 new Labels were just approved by the TTB this week for US distribution.

The Blanco, Anejo, and the elusive Anejo - "EDICION RESERVADA."

This "R" distribution to the US will have no age statement. This also produced by a different company than prior. The label is updated and differs from past offerings.

It will be distributed by international wine and spirits (http://iws-fla.com/)

I would expect to see available this by the end of next quarter.
mamajuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #217
iceke

Default New here

Hi i'm Fons from Belgium, 35 years old, and an occasionally rum drinker.
My first experience with the rum was 10 years ago, my ex girlfirend was from Cuba :-) (havana club)

I've also been 3 times in Dominican Republic and i really like the rum from there !

My personals choice,

- Cubaney orangerie
- Brugal anejo
- Barcelo anejo

Greetings and cheers
iceke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #218
Cohibra45

Just wanted to say hello............

Got into the finer rums in life a few years ago. A friend of mine is a pilot for a major airline and flys the southern route out of Miami.

We use to get some great deals from all over the place, but alas, those days seem to be gone

Anyway, I have a couple bottles of Havana Club Barrel Proof still in boxes and an original 'Basket' Zacapa unopened along with a Santa Teresa Ron Solara. I think the ST is about to be uncorked soon!!!

I have to say that it is an expensive habit, but one that I can't put down!!!

I enjoy most all sipping rums with the exception of Pyrat, just can't get over the 'orange'!!!

I have a long way to go with my rum tasting, but enjoying every step!!!

Cheers!!!
Cohibra45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #219
Whale Hunter

Default Aloha

Ed, Thanks for creating a great site and venue to bring Rum to the world. I've visited often but just got around to registering. I look forward to participating and picking up lots of new facts and tidbits about Rum. The very best of days are the ones that end with Rum in one hand and a woman in the other. Cheers!
Whale Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:55 AM   #220
Nigel

Just joined the Forum. When I was a boy, at Christmas my dad would give me a tot of Woods 100 proof with orange juice. I still like Woods in my cold remedy "hot rum & lemon with honey."

Last year Aldi had an offer on El Dorado 15 year old. I like single malts but bought a bottle anyway. I am now a convert.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions