MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

126 years ago in 1893, the West Indies Rum Refinery was founded on Barbados.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Polls
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls

What do you think, confidentially of course?

View Poll Results: What persuades you to buy a new bottle of sugar cane spirit?
Label and bottle design 20 20.20%
Story on the packaging 5 5.05%
Personal recommendation from rum-drinking friends 55 55.56%
Recommendation from liquor store sales person 16 16.16%
Advertising in magazines, billboards 1 1.01%
Recommendation from website forums like this one 77 77.78%
Brand loyalty, I'm always looking for new rums from distiller's I know 20 20.20%
I'll buy one bottle of anything just to try it 40 40.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default How do you assess a new sugar cane spirit?

With new cane spirits coming to the market almost every week, what is it that makes you want to try a new spirit?
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
angelsword

Many people seem reluctant to ever try much of anything different. While others, like myself, are always looking for something new.

Those that seldom move out of the slot take the most persuasion. But it seems to me that the sales people in the liquor store have the most effect on the general buyer.

This last Friday I watched the salespeople in a local liquor store move a client from their preferred vodka, Tito's, to the newest local vodka that they were pushing, Dripping Springs. It was quite effective even though they were using misleading statements to sell an inferior product.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Seahound

Generally I look to websites like this one and Bilgemunky for my next buy. I only go with the liquor store owner if I trust him. I knew a guy when I lived in Oklahoma who knew everything about even the most obscure products and he was reliable, but I don't just walk in to a random store and buy whatever they tell me to. Packaging will sometimes get me too, but I'll usually see a fancy package then go home and look it up before I buy it.
Seahound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
Scottes

I think there are far too many rums - ones known to be good - that I have yet to try. So I almost always grab one that has somehow been recommended to me. But I will grab a bottle from another distiller if I like the distiller's other products. Very very rarely will I grab a rum on a whim, unless it's a nip or something small.

Eventually - once I've sampled a dozen fantastic and a few dozen excellent rums - I would probably grab most anything that somehow caught my eye. But I've got enough "work" ahead of me for a while.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Roger

Default RE: What makes me try a new spirit

If it's rum, I'm always looking for something new to try. Sometimes I will just impulsively buy what's new if it's aged over 8 years and looks interesting. I'm more confident with new products from brands or distillers I know. Many times I'll see what a store has and go look up on other review sites to see what they say if we've not reviewed it yet. Generally I have about 25-30 rums in my cabinet and with about 10 in queue to review.

If it's un-aged rum I'll generally just stick to my few standby rums unless something really looks interesting.

For other spirits I stick to favorites or ask the store personnel.

Roger

www.RnDrumreviews.com
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

I usually read a lot of different reviews before making my decision and the product presentation also matters somewhat.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
Hank Koestner

I have been known to purchase bottles blind if they look interesting, or have some age on them. But, mostly, I look to different sites and publications, especially if the purchase is pricey. I do have some brand loyalty, I think i would buy anything from Neisson, La Favorite and El Dorado. Now, of course, there is this forum, and all the reviews and links, and the valued opinions of all of you. I would have to say I would not purchase a Rum I was not sure about before posting it here! I love trying new rums. I must be close to 100 bottles after my trip.

Last edited by Hank Koestner; 08-09-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
junkhauler

usually will check in with other collectors, and this and Beachbum berry's site. Sometimes going in blind yields a nice score, but i have picked up a few bottles that are now shelf ornamentation. Seems to me when it comes to agricoles, reccomendations really are not too helpful, this is where personal taste really comes into play.
junkhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Rumpelteazer

Being fairly new to the fine rum world, I have set three goals.

One, to collect rums from each of the major rum producing nations, that are somehow characteristic of that country's style.

Two, for each of the rums that I particularly like, to obtain other fine rums from that country. Some of my favorites so far have been the Zaya, Zacapa 23, and Appleton V/X, so I am always on the lookout for other Guatemalan and Jamaican rums.

Three, to collect rums from places I have visited. So far, this includes Bermuda (Goslings Black & Gold), St. Thomas/St. John (none yet), and the Dominican Republic (Brugal Anejo).

Of course my search is limited by the Pennsylvania alcohol cartel.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr
Default Assessing Rum

I have never been impressed with recommendations by liquor store employees. Tasting rum is far and away the best way to know if it's worth purchasing.

I am interested in learning the stories behind the brands and how these relate to the flavor and profile of the products. Anecdotal tales related to me by friends and acquaintances in the islands are a good start toward discovering unearthed brands. Visiting bars and liquor stores on islands is great way to learn some of the more obscure players if you can engage those with local knowledge in conversation. Family and friends know to call when they're in a liquor store in another country and brief me on some lesser known or potentially outstanding brands.

Comparing notes on forums such as this one is an invaluable new tool for gaining knowledge.

Participating in a rum tasting competition is always a learning experience. I usually recognize some of my favorites but am often fooled when trying to play "guess the rum" in a blind tasting.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Polls