MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

90 years ago in 1929, Destilerias Unidas S.A.C. was established in Peru.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Polls
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls

What do you think, confidentially of course?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
sailor22

I have most of a case of old Zaya and a case of Zacapa 23 anjos that I am sipping my way through. I share both whenever I have a friend over who might appreciate them. I have a couple of older Planters XO's that I share and sip also.
There is plenty of great Rum currently available but in all three cases I knew I wanted to have that expression around for a while, and when they started to disappear I stocked up.
Now it's kind of like spending time with an old friend who won't be around much longer.
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
gatomalo

I have three bottles of the palm-weave Zacapa 23 stashed away, one of which is earmarked for my (potential) wedding day.

I also have one bottle of English Harbour Extra Old to crack open one of these days.
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #13
havanitascigars

Just finished a bottle of the old Zaya. I learned from years of collecting cigars that holding onto them just because they are no longer made spoils the joy of having them. They should be had when you have them so you can have the experience.

I learned the hard way with some Montecristo cigars. A brand that does not particularly age well as they mellow too much. I had a particular blend that is not made anymore and held onto them. At 4 years they were at their peak and wonderful. At 12 years, they had lost their allure and flavor. It was sad because I had half a box of these cigars that were very special to me, but because I hoarded them I missed out on what could have been some truly memorable occasions.

So when I buy rum or cigars, I enjoy them as I feel like it without a thought of saving them... even if they turn out to be rare or no longer made.

Just my 2 cents....

Without sheep, dragons would starve.
havanitascigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
JMac

I generally purchase several bottles of a rum that is or about to be discontinued.

A couple of bottles I'll keep for sharing. One bottle I'll put in my collection as a tribute to that rum in particular and as part of an overall 'archaelogical record' in the world of rum.
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
Tiare

I can`t buy more than one bottle of a rum as thereґs almost no selection here and shipping to sweden is very expensive and so i just enjoy the rums i have until they are finished. Some i work my way through quite slowly.

I do have a bottle of LH151 stored away though - in the US..;-) for now.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 PM   #16
BaltRumFan

I'm glad you started this thread. This is a topic that is only recently starting to become something of interest to me. I have three spirits consisting of two rums and one limited bourbon (my other favorite spirit) and I find myself trying to determine when is appropriate to open them.

In a perfect world I would LOVE and give anything to share a bottle of bourbon with my Dad but he is strictly non-alcoholic so I will never have that once in a lifetime memorable experience.

That leaves me to close friends who enjoy alcohol for more than numbing their senses...sadly I only have one close friend who I would gladly share any spirit on earth. In fact he will probably be the only person who will share most of these experiences with me, LOL . How appropriate he is also the one who first introduced me to rum.

For some it sounds as thought the question of 'when' to open a rare/limited/discontinued spirit such as rum is easy. I find myself Now trying to decide when are the special occassions to pop open say a botle of ORVW 23yr or Appleton 30yr to truly enjoy the spirit and make a memory to be remembered for a lifetime.

This is a fascinating and very enjoyable thread.
BaltRumFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #17
Skulman

Quote:
Originally Posted by martybmccabe View Post
I have an unopened bottle of Cruzan Estate Diamond and a couple bottles of Inner Circle Red. Honestly, they'll get opened sooner or later...
SO what the signifigance of the Cruzan Estate Diamond? My wife just found me a bottle of it recently. Very Tastey but far from empty
Skulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #18
Skulman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac View Post
I generally purchase several bottles of a rum that is or about to be discontinued.
OK so I will ask, how does one find out when a rum is about to be discontinued?
Skulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #19
rum bluff

Be a rum junkie and visit sites like this daily and rarely will you miss anything about discontinuence. Cruzan Diamond was known for probably nine months.
Best of luck.
rum bluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #20
Jolipapa

When I get a bottle of rum, it is to drink it, but I keep some bottles as they are no more produced (1998 Guadeloupe Plantation) or because they wiill probably very close to another from the same origin (i.e. I open the 12 years St James, and keep the 1998 single cask for a later opportunity).
In the case of the Estate Diamond Cruzan, I craked it open as Ed recommended, and that was a very good idea! (and also because I can get another bottle from the next street liquor shop by chance, for the not negligible sum of 38 Euros - this explains that-).

To Tiare:
Quote:
I can`t buy more than one bottle of a rum as thereґs almost no selection here and shipping to sweden is very expensive and so i just enjoy the rums i have until they are finished. Some i work my way through quite slowly.
Are you that far from the Kobenhavn ferry? I had a relative in Malmö and the bags were tingling happily and loudly on the return journeys, a good souvenir. True to say it was mostly Carlsberg, any color and custom officers were rarely present.
Jolipapa is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Polls