MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

55 years ago in 1966, Suriname Alcoholic Beverages NV was established in Suriname.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > The Book Shelf
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

The Book Shelf

Books of interest to Rum Lovers

Old 02-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #11
Scottes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumBarPhilly View Post
Not sure if they are different printings, but Ive got them one with bottles on the cover. It has a 2003 copyright. Great book!
Ditto.

Besides, Amazon US says that the other is out of stock. Get the one with the bottles on the cover. You won't be disappointed.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #12
mammel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottes View Post
Ditto.

Besides, Amazon US says that the other is out of stock. Get the one with the bottles on the cover. You won't be disappointed.
Amazon Canada say both are out of stock, but i think the one with the bottles was less money. Thanks all for your help, I will place my order today.
mammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #13
Dood

I got the one with the wood planks for Xmas...
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #14
mammel

I received my Rum book and I took it with me on my trip to Mexico. It was a nice book, more in the coffee table style. The book had a great deal of more pictures of a more artistic nature and I dont think they much added to the book or any of the writing.

I was hoping to get a little more out of this book than I did. He spent a great deal of time talking about stills and setting and all that, but didnt really go into much detail about how they actually work. Perhaps a few schematics would have added more credence to the written description. I am sure Dave Broom is very knowlegable in the distillation process, but it sure did not translate to my own understanding of the process by the way it was written. Maybe if you had a bit of knowledge to begin with it may have come across clearer.

He went into some lengthy descriptions on fusel oils and a few other things, but ultimately did not provide a basic description to what he was talking about. So unless you knew about these things before you read the book, it was a little meaningless.

I was also hoping the section on tasting and evaluating would have been better and far more detailed. Rightly or wrongly I was expecting more.

If I had to do it all again, I dont know that I would have purchased it.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #15
mammel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post
It would be Broom's "Rum". No it's not a treatise on distilling and stills, but it's not intended to be.
I agree that it was not supposed to be so, but if he is going to refer to the process, at least a simple overview to bring the readers up to a basic level of understanding only seems reasonable.

From a history and overview perspective, it is as i expected...no great detail, but more a brief synopsis of each of the general areas with reference to that regions major players and or influences.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 AM   #16
RumBarPhilly

I actually found his book highly useful when discussing distilling. He opens up the concepts of heads, hearts, and tails as well as discusses setting different marks which is very important in creating and maintaining well blended rums.

If its a schematic you desire, wikipedia has a great description of it as well as schematics at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distillation.
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:33 PM   #17
martybmccabe

If anyone is interested, over at Abebooks, they have a number of copies available for $10-$12 a copy. I snagged one with free shipping for $12.40.http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...6x%3D0%26y%3D0
martybmccabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:40 AM   #18
gatomalo

I like the book but there are a couple of negatives for me. At times I find the writing-style a bit sloppy - it doesn't read as well as it could or should do. I also wish there were more information on Central and South American rum, as I find the book to be a little too Caribbean-orientated. Good read though in general.

Last edited by gatomalo; 12-10-2008 at 07:15 AM.
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #19
Don Piero

I gotta get his Rum book before May 8th, as I'll be at the Spirit of Toronto (Whisky Show) http://www.spiritoftoronto.ca/

where David Broom, will be present. I bought tickets for his pre-show tasting and his master-class - looking forward to this show and hopefully get him to sign a book.
Don Piero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:33 AM   #20
Vanpatt

I'm sure that will be a great experience meeting with Dave Broom in person. I bought his book from Amazon.ca and received in about a week so you'd still have time if you ordered it soon. I couldn't find it at any of the local Chapters stores in stock. It's getting a little dated but is still an excellent reference; can you ask him if he's planning an updated version?
Vanpatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > The Book Shelf