MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

373 years ago in 1647, there were 120 drinking houses in Bridgetown, Barbados, only 20 years after the first British colony was established on the island.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Mistahunter

Default Root

I just heard of a "fairly" new 80-proof sugar cane spirit called Root. It is supposed to be a "root-beer" flavored liquor that is adapted from a popular Colonial American recipe dating back to the 1700s. It is made out of Philly.

While it is not a rum, I'm wondering if any of you have come across this in your respective journeys?
Mistahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

It seems the Philadelphia ad man Steven Grasse worked with the Charbay distillery in California to make a spirit from sugar, hence the relation to rum, with birch bark, smoked black tea, spearmint, wintergreen, orange and lemon peel, allspice, anise, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom. Bottled at 80 proof it's called a liqueur since it can't be called rum since it has so many additional ingredients.

I've yet to see it since it appears to only be available in PA at this time.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
rumdog007

HiTime in Costa Mesa is selling it, too. Forrest and the distributor say that it is a real sales hit. It's a great tasting oddity. Forrest knows one of the creators of this very special spirit.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

My impression, or expectation, went up considerably when I heard it was distilled at Charbay. It would make sense that it is available in CA. And I would expect HiTimes to have it.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Mistahunter

'Nuff said....I just picked up a bottle.

I'll let you know how it is after I put the kids to sleep!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
silverfish

I have a bottle due to arrive today (from HiTime).
This has been on my radar since June! A quick
google search shows it's also available at D&M,
BeverageWarehouse, and WineCountry

ROOT info here.
silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
RonJames

I love root beer (good stuff, not generic) with Berkshire distillery's Ragged Mountain Rum. I imagine this rum would also rock with this liquor.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #8
Dood

The various cocktail people I know seem to be rather split on Root.

It's VERY flavorful, and the rootbeer flavor is something that's a bit challenging for mixing.

The majority of the people I know that have a favorable opinion of Root are of the Tiki school of thought. I can certainly see that.

Me, I don't find it to be particularly great or particularly awful. It tastes like spiced rootbeer, which is what they were going for.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
Mistahunter

OK...so I went to the store and cracked the bottle last night.

First, I must say I really liked the bottle. Solid weight, great label, and I really liked the cork.

My first experience with Root was to try it straight (that seems to be my preferred approach for all of my initial tastings). WOW....there is a lot going on here. As expected....definitely get the root-beer effect. But, you definitely get the vanilla, wood, all-spice, mint, citrus, clove, etc...it really felt like you tasted each infusion. I wouldn't recommend it straight....might be a nice chilled shot. Hmmmmm....

As I was reading through the pamphlet, I reviewed some of the recipes and decided to go with some of the "simple" concoctions. First, I tried mixing it with Guinness. That was not so good...just didn't think it tasted right. I'll stick with drinking my Guinness with a couple dashes of bitters.

Next, I struck gold. I mixed it with some homemade ginger beer (recently acquired for my annual dark-n-stormy nights). This was awesome. I think the spices and pepper of the ginger beer married well with the flavorful Root. This made the $40 worth it...I had 2 of these..

I will try some more involved recipes as we head towards the holiday. I do not see this bottle lasting too long. Might have to ask the Three Kings to drop some off.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
Tiare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood View Post
The various cocktail people I know seem to be rather split on Root.

The majority of the people I know that have a favorable opinion of Root are of the Tiki school of thought. I can certainly see that.

Me, I don't find it to be particularly great or particularly awful. It tastes like spiced rootbeer, which is what they were going for.
Yes, you are right on that Dood and i`m one of those who have found it useful in tikidrinks, not all tikidrinks of course but some or sometimes when you want that rootbeer flavor which in Root is spicier and less sweet than it is in Rootbeer. A typical example of a tikidrink which i think is approved with Root is Donn`s Caribbean Punch which i once made a twist on with Rootbeer instead of sarsaparilla.

I wrote a post on Root once as well and made a little tiki drink, you may try if you feel like it. Anyway, i think Root is a bit of an obscure product but very interesting. One thing for sure though, you gotta like Rootbeer to like Root. It also pairs well with dark rums.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions