MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

258 years ago in 1762, Destileria Carupano C.A. was established in Venezuela.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
carlosalvarado10

Default my in-laws!

this friday my in-laws are having a guard party and i want to go to the party with something special. i want something that is unique. it has to be available around my area. what rum should i bring to the party. i dont want to spend more than 50 dollars.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:03 AM   #2
The Scribe

I have no idea what you can get in Wyoming, but with that said, I'll give it a shot. It also depends on what you mean by "special." If by special, you mean "super tasty premium rum" then try:
- El Dorado 15 Year - $30 - Widely considered one of the tastiest rums around, certainly true in its price range. Big, sweet, and yummy.
- Mount Gay XO - $40? - Another widely lauded rum. Personally, I prefer this to the ED15, but that's a matter of taste.
- Appleton Extra - $35 - I have heard good things about this rum, but never tried it. I find Appleton's distribution in the States a little spotty.
If, on the other hand, you mean something kitchy and cool, take your money to your local packy (preferably a specialty wine and spirits store, not the liquor section of your local grocer) and tell the guy that you want something interesting. A dusty bottle is always a hit, regardless of the contents. It just screams "I'm awesome!"

If you can find it, which I doubt, though, I have one recommendation which hits everything:
Pusser's Aged Rum - ? - This aged rum is the modern version of old navy rum. I have, and love my bottle of the less aged product, and have heard lots of good things about the aged version.

You could also get a bottle of rum for about $30 and then also give a decanter (go for a captain's decanter). If the rum is intended to be opened that day, go ahead an give it to them in the decanter, and as long as it's tasty and you can tell them how old it is, they will just assume it's a good quality. Incidentally, once you open a bottle, it is better to store it in a good quality decanter than in a its own bottle, as glass stoppers are significantly better than cork.
Cheers. - S
I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, and in the drink with a boat on the rocks.
The Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
carlosalvarado10

Default thanks

cool! just what i wanted to hear. i will have to put all those on my list to buy! my anniversay is coming up so.....

thanks again!
Old 08-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
KellanRayner

Default I'm no expert

I've only begun to dip my toes into the wide world of rum but as of late I have been attempting to educate my pallet with different rums. I recently tried the goslings gold and I thought it was magnificent. The Goslings Black Seal rum is also very good and interesting tasting.. Its not really considered top shelf stuff though. But if you were looking for a different Dark rum then I (with my very limited rum knowledge) would suggest the black seal.
KellanRayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Fishinrum

Carlos, I came upon this after your in-laws party. i was still wondering what you brought with, and if you educated anyone. But then again, if few liked it.......more for you.
Fishinrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:47 PM   #6
carlosalvarado10

Default oh ya!

so the party didnt even go down. bad weather! but i did happen to buy a decanter of pussers. very cool bottle. my friend even bought me a mini bottle of pussers. i never knew that they had flasks of pussers too. i bet the decanter would have been a good thing to take to the party.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums