MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

90 years ago in 1930, Montebello Distillerie Carrere was established on Guadeloupe.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
The Sheriff

Default Cruzan! What the @#$%&*?

Seems like Cruzan is working very hard to lose me as a customer. First they dicontinue the Single Barrel, then the Estate Diamond and now my long time favorite Clipper 120. If they dump the Blackstrap it will be down to the (now less than 2 Y.O.) light and dark and all the flavored stuff.

Don't get me wrong I like some of the flavored stuff, but where are all the fine aged products that drew me to Cruzan in the first place?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
Rum Runner

To my knowledge the Single Barrel is still part of the line-up. The Estate Diamond and Clipper were discontinued. The Dark is still a two year old. The aged 151 is pretty good stuff in my opinion and they have added a new rum cream recently. I'll be heading over to St. Croix in the next few weeks for a look around.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
srnadel

Yeah...I didn't hear anything about the SB being discontinued, but it could have been. Cruzan has been trying to find it's position in the industry for years. They keep going after Bacardi, which is a tough thing to do. I wouldn't be surprised if they are discontinuing certain lines and concentrating on what they consider their core brands.
www.shoppersvineyard.com
srnadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
RonJames

I totally agree with srnadel, cruzan tries to take on Bacardi and it never really catches on. The young club sceen is always gonna order "Bacardi limon and sprite!" rather than the cruzan flavors. Wish they'd stick to the Single Barrel (which they just redid the packaging for, so I doubt they'd can it), the 5yr diamond, blackstrap, 2yr white and gold. Actually I heard that they were having Kenny Chesney market cruzan or that he was coming out with his own cruzan rum. An excellent marketing idea might be to make it the "true American Rum". You've got the country singer, rum made in a part of the US, and I think some of the blackstrap proceeds go to a US Navy charity. Throw an American flag on the bottle and you've got a great merchandising idea. Just don't throw the American flag on the new capt. morgan made there, I wouldn't want to insult the flag like that.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
The Sheriff

I see that they have the single barrel still listed on their website. But, it has been discountiued in Oregon. We have always carried all the Cruzan products available. I wonder if it is a distributor issue or if it has indeed been discountiued? Anyway, the loss of my beloved Clipper 120 still has me pretty steamed. Not to mention the Esate diamond. Both were staples in my liquor cabinet for many years.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
srnadel

Your distributor could have just decided to dump it. It happens all the time. Maybe another distributor will pick it up. Keep the faith.

I think Jim Beam Global handles this rum. Depending on how far you want to take it, you can always call them.
www.shoppersvineyard.com
srnadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Both the Clipper and Estate Diamond have been discontinued for now. Hopefully they will return but I'm not going to hold my breath until it happens.

The good news is that in Oregon you can now get almost the full line of El Dorado rums through the state stores.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
rusty

AND Cruzan Single Barrel goes on sale in Oregon for $19.99 staring 1 April. Not all stores have it though. I know which ones and will start a thread about it.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:58 AM   #9
Bluehammer

I get the feeling Cruzan is trying to become the bar "well" brand. As many have mentioned Bacardi has this area wrapped up. I hope that Cruzan can take their bar penetration and push themselves up the shelf. I really enjoy that it is becoming more common in bars. I just would prefer they don't push themselves to the bottom shelf.

Also, what is up with Blackstrap? Seems like they have raised up the price a few bucks than just a year or two ago. Not sure if this is just regional.
Bluehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:21 AM   #10
rusty

Cruzan mostly makes 'well grade' booze. At home the silver in in my well for Daiquiris & Mojitos.

I'm quite looking fwd to trying the Single Barrel this weekend.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions