MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

109 years ago in 1911, Arecibo played an important production role in the Puerto Rico rum industry, as it was home to the Puerto Rico Distilling Co., founded in 1911.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
JMac

Default Unexpected surprises

About 3 weeks ago me and the missus were at Bellis Fair (large shopping mall in Bellingham, WA). As such I had to stop in at my favorite store off of Lakeway Dr.

While there I saw a bottle of Saratoga dark Virgin Island rum for $10.00/750ml. The bottle looked cool with a parrot on it so I bought it not really knowing anything about it except it looked cool.

Well I was pleasantly surprised..it has a rich dark colour and a moderate vanilla/molasses palette that reminds me of Diplomatico but toned down. The overall taste, for me, is just a tad to thin for neat or on the rocks. However ts definitely a great rum and coke rum, and I suspect, great for other mixed rum drinks.

So I was wondering if other members have had the same experience where a bottle of rum completely took you for surprise?
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
RonJames

My 1st rum drink with Don Q, right then I knew I'd been had with all those bacardi and cokes. Actually now that we are on the subject of PR rum the aneja reserva by trigo corp. and the DON Q Anejo. The don q anejo I was expecting nothing out of but boy it is probably my most versatile rum. Good mixer, can be had neat, or with ice cubes. Rum Runner turned me on to it with Coconut water where it really really shines.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
Gecko

Rum Runner turned me on to it with Coconut water where it really really shines.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't fresh coconut water do wonders for a rum cocktail. A few weeks back we (my neighbour, his wife, my wife a friend and I) emptied two bottles of Brugal Anejo over crushed ice and coconut water. Its worth the try.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
RonJames

lololol, Gecko thats not fair, you're making my mouth water and its not even 10am yet! There is so much in tropical paradise that I had never had before. Im happy to have experienced them over the last couple of years. One of my fondest memories was watching an in-law whack open a young coconut from the freezer, throw in some rum, and hand it to me. Wild, exotic, and what a treat!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
Gecko

Hey Ron,

This weekend, I'm going to be trying Mojito's with Coconut water instead of the Club soda. I've never done it before, but I noted that a couple of MOR members are raving about it so stay tune to the Rum Channel this weekend for updates from The Big Dog House
Old 06-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
RonJames

Gecko you're making my mouth water again before 10am...Those mojitos sound good. Keep me updated on how fast they get "housed". The weather here has been rainy and damp but by the time summer roles around I'll be primed for new mojito recipes. Went for a slightly heavier cocktail last night, muddled some candied ginger with V/X and then added ginger ale. Started out making one for the little lady and then had to make myself one.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
tigerber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
Rum Runner turned me on to it with Coconut water where it really really shines.
Doesn't fresh coconut water do wonders for a rum cocktail. A few weeks back we (my neighbour, his wife, my wife a friend and I) emptied two bottles of Brugal Anejo over crushed ice and coconut water. Its worth the try.[/QUOTE]

I really like the flavor of the Brugal Anejo and this sounds like a great way to treat it. I'd like to try others in the Brugal line, but sadly, they don't seem to be available around these parts.
tigerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
RonJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerber View Post
I really like the flavor of the Brugal Anejo and this sounds like a great way to treat it. I'd like to try others in the Brugal line, but sadly, they don't seem to be available around these parts.
Brugal blanco with sprite and lime is nice and light. I know it sounds simple and is but for quick refreshment, can't beat it. I think they call it a santo libre in the DR, but don't quote me on that one. We have other sources on this site that would know this better than I.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Gecko

RonJames you are correct. I've heard it referred to as Santo Libre. It is a very nice twist on the Cuba Libre and it makes a great summer drink.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
Michael

Substituting Ting for the Sprite yields one of our favorite summer refreshments. We've tried many rums and combinations of rums with Ting and lime. Brugal Añejo works well, as does our standby, El Dorado High Strength (151).
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions