MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

108 years ago in 1911, Arecibo played an important production role in the Puerto Rico rum industry, as it was home to the Puerto Rico Distilling Co., founded in 1911.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rhum Agricole

Fresh sugar cane juice rhum from the French islands.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
Hank Koestner

Thumbs up Neisson Rhum Agricole XO

The complete title on the bottle is Neisson Cuvee Du 3 eme Millenaire Rhum Agricole XO.
I found this bottle in a spirit boutique in Gustavia on St. Barts last May. The blend is made of rhums that are aged up to 15 years, at 90 proof. I felt is was a reasonable buy at 60 euro. The bottle is a beautiful decanter, and , of course, is now only half full. The rhum is reminiscent of a smooth aged cognac, with supple flavors and a little punch at 90 proof, which adds a little heat as it goes down, but not in the mouth.
I will return to St. Barts ( and St. Martin, Anguilla, and possibly St. Lucia) in July of this year to celebrate my 50th, hoping not only to find another bottle of this rhum, but also other aged rhum agricole. Although I enjoy molasses based rums very much, rhum agriocole is my first love. I would welcome input from all of you as I prepare my shopping list!
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

If you love rhum agricole I'd look for some Depaz Speciale Reserve. Neither that nor the Neisson XO are sold in the US, though both companies do sell other rhum agricole in the US.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:45 AM   #3
The Squire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
The complete title on the bottle is Neisson Cuvee Du 3 eme Millenaire Rhum Agricole XO.
I found this bottle in a spirit boutique in Gustavia on St. Barts last May. The blend is made of rhums that are aged up to 15 years, at 90 proof. I felt is was a reasonable buy at 60 euro. The bottle is a beautiful decanter, and , of course, is now only half full. The rhum is reminiscent of a smooth aged cognac, with supple flavors and a little punch at 90 proof, which adds a little heat as it goes down, but not in the mouth.
I will return to St. Barts ( and St. Martin, Anguilla, and possibly St. Lucia) in July of this year to celebrate my 50th, hoping not only to find another bottle of this rhum, but also other aged rhum agricole. Although I enjoy molasses based rums very much, rhum agriocole is my first love. I would welcome input from all of you as I prepare my shopping list!
I recently got my hands on a bottle of the the younger brother, the Neisson Extra Vieux....really worth a sniff. I haven't tried any of the other Neissons, but the first nose and sip are so much smoother than some of the other agricoles I've tried. The RnD guys did a nice review of it which I really can't argue with much except I lost him with the coconut comment..

http://www.rndrumreviews.com/RnDRumR...es_Review.html

Love to know others thoughts on this one if they have tried it..

Next stop, the XO..
Old 01-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
M.R.J.
Liberated from the Rum Lovers Forums

It would be nice to get some real tasting notes of these rums even on this forum - its always nice to read that a rum is good, but tasting notes may serve a purpose by giving others an idea of what kind of goodness this or that particular rum is all about..

Hank, maybe you can tell us how does this rum taste please in your opinion, what flavours doe sit have? I am going to UK soon and I hope to buy a few top-notch rums from there, but tasting notes might help to judge if your favorite tipple might also be mine.

Thanks in advance - and Thanks to The Squire for the review which gave some idea of what this product may be like!!

Last edited by M.R.J.; 01-30-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: added thnks to Squire
M.R.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Michael

It may be worth noting that perusing the excellent site of Roger and Dave reveals that they do not favor Rhum Agricole. Perhaps their review of Neisson Vieux (not the XO which was the topic of this thread) is better viewed in that light.

We love the younger Neisson Réserve Spéciale and wish that the Extra Vieux and XO were available in this country. Is there any hope of that happening Ed, or is the supply just too small to get beyond France and the overseas départements?

Last edited by Michael; 02-01-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:18 AM   #6
DrDrinker

I love neisson, but in Italy it is so difficult to find at resonable price.
I bought an extra vieux in martinique this winter and of course it's finished.

btw, what do you think is the best way to drink neisson extra vieux? I love tpunch, but any other idea?
DrDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Hank Koestner

You can make a Rum Manhatten, a Rum Sour, or try it with a splash of coconut water. I prefer it as a tpunch, or with a touch of water, or a coconut water ice cube. Ed has tried this rum in many a cocktail, I am sure he can add to the list.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
DrDrinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
You can make a Rum Manhatten, a Rum Sour, or try it with a splash of coconut water. I prefer it as a tpunch, or with a touch of water, or a coconut water ice cube. Ed has tried this rum in many a cocktail, I am sure he can add to the list.
thanks, I can't wait to be in martinique again...
DrDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole