MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

135 years ago in 1884, The Beenleigh Distillery was established in Queensland, Australia.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rhum Agricole

Fresh sugar cane juice rhum from the French islands.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:56 PM   #11
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Though I am partial to La Favorite, I have to say that it is bottled in Martinique at the distillery where it is made exactly as it is for the local market. The label has a couple of small changes, additions, to comply with the US regulations. Clement is bottled at 80 proof for the US market. While this isn't necessarily bad, I understand there are plans to bring in a 100 proof version in the future.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:23 AM   #12
Hank Koestner

Ed was a bit more diplomatic than I was about Clement and La Favorite.
The difference in proof really effects the flavor profile, and I would guess the 100 proof version of Clement would be better, as far as a comparison would go.
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #13
Hank Koestner

Post Rhum Bologne

Since we are talking about Rhum Agricole Blanc, There is also an interesting difference in the flavor of Rhum Bologne from Guadaloupe and the white rums from Martinique. Bologne seems a hair less refined, a little more herbal and citrus. I do enjoy a Ti Punch made with Rhum Bologne. It is nice to be able to choose between Niesson, La Favorite and Bologne because they are all unique in thier own way. Any Comments about Rhum from Guadaloupe?
And, also added to this choice would be the amber rhums Niesson ESB and La Favorite. While I am at it, has anyone tried the Punch Vieux? I have with Neisson Reserve and La Favorite Coeur du Rhum and enjoyed them quite a bit. Any suggestions for other amber or dark rums for a Punch Vieux? How about molasses based rum? I have tried a few. As you can see, I am a fan of the Ti Punch.
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:51 AM   #14
woody9six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
The difference in proof really effects the flavor profile, and I would guess the 100 proof version of Clement would be better, as far as a comparison would go.
As long as you are both in agreement, I can take or leave the diplomacy. Thanks for the responses.
woody9six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #15
John Martin

Default Westerhall Rums

Hi Edward,
Would the Westerhall rum with the wax top be considered a rhum agricole? I had this a few years back and it was excellent. The only rum I've found that appeals to me more is One Barrel from Belize.
John Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 01:38 AM   #16
Berbician

Default Westerhall rum

Westerhall Plantation rum is indeed very good, but it isn't "Rhum Agricole". Westerhall no longer distill their own rum - they import rum, in bulk, from Trinidad and then age it. As far as I know, all Trinidadian rum is molasses based and can not therefore be "Rhum Agricole" which has to be made from sugar cane juice.
Berbician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #17
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
While I'm not usually accused of being diplomatic, I hope I can encourage others to try different rums and educate their palates.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:05 PM   #18
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berbician View Post
Westerhall Plantation rum is indeed very good, but it isn't "Rhum Agricole". Westerhall no longer distill their own rum - they import rum, in bulk, from Trinidad and then age it. As far as I know, all Trinidadian rum is molasses based and can not therefore be "Rhum Agricole" which has to be made from sugar cane juice.
The requirement to be called rhum agricole actually lies with the country or region of origin. In the French islands, being distilled from freshly squeezed sugar cane juice is only one of the criteria to be called rhum agricole.

Berbician is correct that Westerhall couldn't be called rhum agricole if it was distilled on a French island. But not all rum distilled in Trinidad is made from molasses. 10 Cane is made from freshly squeezed sugar cane juice.
Ministry of Rum

Old 07-03-2007, 04:01 AM   #19
Mr Fjeld

My only experience of rhum agricole is the one I have open at the moment; Trois Rivieres 1996. I think it's fantastic, and although I haven't had that many rums I think it's the best rum I've had. I recently also bought a 1997 vintage from J.M. Rhums and have heard great things about it. However, I'm a little curious about ruhm agricole - are there great varieties between the different brands? It seems there is a strict appellation controllee and I was wondering if that creates a "uniform" product throughout the island of Martinique?
Mr Fjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:42 PM   #20
Edward Hamilton
Founder

There are wide differences in the rhums produced in Martinique, just as there are in wines produced in any region of the world. Part of the taste difference is due to the different yeasts used for fermentation. Distillation is also different depending on the skill of the distiller and the physical properties of the still. Then there is the aging and bottling process, which invokes even more differences, some of which are subtle but others, like the type of barrels used yields very different results.
Ministry of Rum

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole