MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

47 years ago in 1972, formerly known as Gilbeys (Mauritius) Ltd, was incorporated in Mauritius.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 04-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Tiare

Default Is Lemon Hart 151 to be discontinued?

i hear rumours saying this...that the LH151 is going to be discontinued, have anyone heard anything about it?

I used to be able to regularly buy it from a seller in Germany but since about 8-9 months or so he doesnґt have it.

I have seen plenty of the Jamaican overproof LH though, but not the demerara 151 - not at anytime since 8-9 months.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
RonJames

I can't remember for sure if it was the guyana or jamaica LH151 but it was recently at one of my favorite liquor stores which is rare since we don't see it much out this way...might be a sign that they are changing markets instead of shutting down the line.

http://www.tableandvine.com/catalog/...pp/import.html
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Seymon

Default No LH 151 in Germany

Hello, I am new here in this Forum, and first Iґd like to introduce myself: I come from Darmstadt near Frankfurt/Main, Germany. Mixing cocktails is a hobby if mine for more than ten years now. When mixing, I especially focus on rum drinks as Mai Tai, Mojito, Hemingway Special and Tiki Barber. For sipping, I prefer Martinique and Jamaican Rums.

As regards the Lemon Hart 151, I did also recognize that it is no longer available in Germany. I asked a former distributor of LH 151, but he couldnґt tell me either why it is (currently ?) not available. In addition, I was told that also the Lemon Hart 40% Jamaica Rum runs out of stock and is no longer available at the wholesaler.

Bad news, I would say! Does anybody know anything more? Kind regards, Seymon
Seymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Tiare

Checking the German Ebay i have still sent quite a few Jamaican LH both 40% and 73% but not the 151, not in a very long time, maybe almost a year now.

I`m so incredibly lucky i won myself a bottle of it in a recent TDN so i`ll have at least one bottle as mine is long gone.

It looks like its still available in some parts of the US though. Better stock up on more if you are visiting or living in the US..

That the LH151 is going to be discontinued makes me wonder what we shall sub it with in those tikidrinks that required it?

Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Seymon

It seems to me there are two different ways to subsitute LH 151:

1. Use another overproof Demerara rum like Woods (57%) or El Dorado (63% white or 70% golden). OK, they are no 151 proof rums, but at least they orginate from Guyana. I haveґnt tried the El Dorado rums yet, but I can recommend Woods, though it doesnґt provide the special "kick" of 151 rums.

2. Use another 151 Rum. I would recommend Gosling 151 because of its outstanding quality and its dense and spicy flavour, which is not unlike the LH 151.

Even Trader Vic himself substitued the 17 years old Wray & Nephew for his Mai Tai when it was no longer available, so I wonґt be shamed to substitute Demerara 151 by a different kind of rum. Cause not mixing drinks anymore which demand for Demerara 151 rum is no alternative for me...
Seymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
Tiare

You are right,other overproof demeraras is the right substitution.Gosling`s i can imagine is good too even though i havenґt yet tried their overproof.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #7
Edward Hamilton
Founder

According to DDL, the distillers of Lemon Hart, they aren't making it any more. So if you find some and want it, buy it.

I believe the Gosling's 151 is pretty close as mentioned above.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #8
Craig_Hochscheid

Hi Ed,

It seems like an odd business decision to discontinue the LH151, given the product's uniqueness and how widely it's called for in so many classic recipes, which are very much back in vogue again. LH seem to have perpetually lousy distribution here in the States; they only seem to be available in a few states. If they could find a better distribution network they would have a very marketable product in their 151.

Cheers,

Craig Hochscheid
Craig_Hochscheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
jclovis

Default Buying Lemon Hart is now easier than ever

In regards to Tiare's post, I located one place in DC that sells the LH 80 & 151 (Guyana) rums and have always gone there to purchase these great rums.
Then just about a month or so ago, the Virginia state ABC stores have started carrying LM 80 & 151 also.
So seeing that such a large, state operated entity as the VA ABC is now offering LH, I don't think that they are in the process of closing down shop. Possibly just a realignment.
If I can help in getting you a bottle, just let me know.
jclovis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums