MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

37 years ago in 1982, South Pacific Distillery was established in Nelson, New Zealand.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
RonJames

Default I need zacapa info

I just purchased a couple of bottles of Zacapa Centenario 23 anos in the old palm leaf weave coverings. I've liked the 15 and 23 before but have never had it in the old bottle which if memory serves me right they've discontinued. The questions I have are...

1. Is there a taste difference between the old bottle and new?
2. Is it blended with a solera method?
3. Is there a cork or screw cap? (I can't tell without tearing into it)

Thanks guys.
James
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

1. According to a lot of people, yes there is. The blend is always changing but according to the comments the blend changed quite a bit between the old and new versions.

There is even a notable difference between the GREY neck labeled new style Zacapa bottle and the BLACK neck labeled new style Zacapa bottle.

2. I believe it has always been advertised as a solera.

3. If memory serves correctly the full weave bottle has a plastic diffuser and a screw top. In some countries there is no plastic diffuser.

PS. If youre interested in the differences between grey and black neck label check out my review.

I think the full weave Zacapa is what raised Zacapa to its current status, I would be very interested to try this version but it seems to be very difficult to find one. The newest blend is just too sugary for me.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
rumdog007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJames View Post
I just purchased a couple of bottles of Zacapa Centenario 23 anos in the old palm leaf weave coverings. I've liked the 15 and 23 before but have never had it in the old bottle which if memory serves me right they've discontinued. The questions I have are...

1. Is there a taste difference between the old bottle and new?
2. Is it blended with a solera method?
3. Is there a cork or screw cap? (I can't tell without tearing into it)

Thanks guys.
James
RonJames, this thread has a good bit about the older Zacapa.

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/...ghlight=zacapa

On my palm leaf covered bottles, there is no claim of it being a solera rum. In fact, after Diageo struck the deal to distribute Zacapa, one of their changes was to clearly state the word "Solera" more prominently on the label.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
srnadel

I've heard many people say the taste is different, but I'm not sure I agree. Zacapa was bought by Diageo and changing the blend would cost them a great deal of time and money. I also got a visit from the founder and he confirmed it's the same. Actually, he was a little shocked that people are saying it tastes different. However, there is somthing to be said for everyone saying it tastes different.

In regard to the other questions, I agree with Count Silvio.
www.shoppersvineyard.com
srnadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
rumdog007

Seth, if you are ever in Costa Mesa, CA, swing by my place and try them in a blind test. When I did my little test, which is toward the end of the aforementioned thread, I used only new unopened bottles. While I believe that they may be striving to keep the taste the same, over 20 years they are not working with the same rums of which to blend. Also, look at all of the other factors (climate, yeasts, barrels/casks, etc.) which cannot be exactly controlled. I can understand his surprise if speaking of the newest interation and the one before that one. They are so very close.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

The new bottles of Zacapa 23 anos are a blend of rums produced in the solero method (according to their website). The age of rums varies from 7 yrs to 23 yrs so it is not strictly speaking a 23 yr old rum rather it is a 7 yr old rum with rums up to 23 years in the blend. (It is reasonable to believe the website information as truthful as we have no indications to the contrary.) As time has went forward it is believed that the average age of the blend has decreased over time, although the folks who produce Zacapa claim the flavour has been very consistent over time.

I believe that the recent sale of the brand name Zaya was done in part to maintain stocks for the production of Zacapa. The company unable to maintain both brands at the current demand level due to diminishing aged stocks.

My new bottles of Zacapa have corks rather than screw tops, and based upon my experience the flavour of the new blend is better than the old. (It is starting to taste very similiar to the original Zaya which seems to have been a younger blend than the original zacapa 23.)
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
rumdog007

Arctic Wolf and others, I hope that I did not come across as negative. I like the new 23 very much. I gave a bottle to a colleague last month that was completely thrilled with the gift.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
RonJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Silvio View Post
I think the full weave Zacapa is what raised Zacapa to its current status, I would be very interested to try this version but it seems to be very difficult to find one.
You just might get your wish, I plan on storing these for awhile. If our paths meet at a rum fest I couldn't think of a better person to share one with. Besides I probably owe you a dram or two for all the info I have gleamed from your rum reviews.

Thanks to the count, seth, and Rum dog. Interestingly enough, it doesn't say solera ANYWHERE on the bottle, which is ok with me. And I am actually happier that it doesn't have a cork. Refined vices and the previous post were VERY informative as well as the info that diageo bought them out. Thanks guys again and Im off to store the rum before I forget.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
srnadel

I never argue with people who say it tastes different. It's your palate and you should trust it. I just believe these companies have master blenders who do their best to come up with a consistent taste. It has to be as close as possible. I've had customers come to me and say the taste is completely different. They meant it in a bad way. I do have a hard time believing it's completely different. Variations...absolutely. I still think it's great rum!
www.shoppersvineyard.com
srnadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #10
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJames View Post
You just might get your wish, I plan on storing these for awhile. If our paths meet at a rum fest I couldn't think of a better person to share one with. Besides I probably owe you a dram or two for all the info I have gleamed from your rum reviews.

Thanks to the count, seth, and Rum dog. Interestingly enough, it doesn't say solera ANYWHERE on the bottle, which is ok with me. And I am actually happier that it doesn't have a cork. Refined vices and the previous post were VERY informative as well as the info that diageo bought them out. Thanks guys again and Im off to store the rum before I forget.
Would be happy to buy one from you! Thank you for your kind comments RonJames. You don't owe me anything, it is enough to me that you just enjoy the website .
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions