MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

78 years ago in 1942, Distillerie Damoiseau was established on Guadeloupe.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
krustykrab

Default Island trip rum questions

Hi All-

I'm new here, but have been reading some of the interesting postings over the past week or so.

A few questions: I am going on a cruise with the family next month for the February break and will be hitting Puerto Rico, St Thomas, Dom. Rep., and Grand Turk. I was thinking of hitting the Bacardi distillery in San Juan (I know, I know... I do not care for the mass produced stuff either, but thought it would be a good time to see the distillery, etc) Has anyone been there? Do they have any rums there that they do not offer in the US that are worth getting?

What would you all recommend keeping my eyes out for in my travels that would be good additions to a beginning collection that are not available here, or are significantly cheaper there.

Some things on my list to look for thus far:
USVI-Cruzan single barrel, diamond estate?
DR: Barcelo Imperial & Anejo, also Brugal and Bermudez?
PR: Barrilito, Don Q

Any thoughts on these / specific recommendations would be very helpful

Thanks a lot!
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to the rum forums. In the Dominican Republic, depending on your port of call, you may find Brugal Extra Viejo and Barcelo Imperial, two of the best rums on the island that are hard to find elsewhere. There are some other rums mentioned on this site which you may want to consider.

St Thomas - check out the KMart straight up the slight hill toward the hospital from from cruise ship dock. There is also a grocery store on your right once you get across the busy intersection. Be careful and look both ways. St Thomas drivers drive on the left side of the road.

You'll also find some interesting things downtown at AH Riise and some of the other stores which are sold nowhere else. The selection changes all the time so it's hard to say what you'll find but St Thomas has the best prices / selections on your cruise.

You probably won't find much of interest in the Turks and Caicos, but you never know.

In Puerto Rico, by all means go to Bacardi. You won't see much of the distillery other than a fermentation tank and some barrels set up for tourists, but it's interesting to see and it's a quiet reprieve from the hustle and bustle of San Juan.

Barrilito should be on your list to look for in San Juan. I like the 2 star for drinking and sipping. The 3 star is a little heavier but you won't go wrong on either choice, or both.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Dood

If you can find it while in the Dom. Rep, get a bottle of Brugal Siglo de Oro. You will not be disappointed.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr
Default Grand Turk Liquor Deals

Although they have a rum named "Cave" in Grand Turk made by a Turks And Caicos Company, it's not actually distilled on the island and not worth much.

However, TCI is a great place to purchase rum from other islands, such a Barbancourt from Haiti, Zacapa from Guatemala, El Dorado from Guyana, Mocambo from Mexico, Flor de Cana from Nicaragua, Barcelo from Dominican Republic, etc.

I can but Remy Extra cognac there for $220 there that sells for $395 here in Miami. Not all liquors are cheaper there, but look for the deals.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:50 AM   #5
RumBarPhilly

Ive heard fascinating things about Bermudez rums, but as I dont think they do much importing, I would defintely try to get a bottle.

Don Q is nothing spectacular, although their Anejo looks attractive, not sure on the taste. (Daniel from Temptryst outbidded me on it at RumFest NYC)

Ron del Barrilito, get both 2 star and 3 star. Winners!
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr
Default Puerto Rican Rums

In Pr, look for Trigo Aneja Reserva in a dark glass bottle, and the special Don Q Gran Anejo, both not available state-side. Barrilito 3 star is a winner.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
bluewave6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumBarPhilly View Post

Don Q is nothing spectacular, although their Anejo looks attractive, not sure on the taste. (Daniel from Temptryst outbidded me on it at RumFest NYC)
I have a bottle of the Anejo....it is pretty decent..would love to compare it to the RB 3 Star or the 2 Star which I have yet to try.
bluewave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
krustykrab

Default Back from the trip!

Hi all,

Just got back from the family vacation/cruise. We all had a great time and I found some great deals on some excellent rums! I took full advantage of our 10L duty free limit on the trip - hopefully the picture attachment will work! Got most of these for under $12US per bottle and all made it home without casuality! Tried some of the Bermudez 10yo from the Dom. Rep. while on the cruise as they were not taking away liquor after the first port...? It was excellent! Can't wait to dig into these!

Also went to the Bacardi distillery while in San Juan (will post more on this separately!)

A couple of observations:
Bacardi was selling a 'special reserva' that was supposedly only available at the distillery - aged 12 years. Seemed not much different from the 8yo. At $70US though, I didn't want to do that!

I was surprised that more of the rum was not sold in liter bottles. Most were 750's, except in the Dom Rep where most was in 375's - it was hard to find larger bottles

I had the Cruzan Single barrel on my list to pick up as well, but found that it was actually cheaper here then they were selling it for there? That was the only one, except RZ23 which I saw for the same price early on $39, but then at the last stop, saw it for $29, but I had a fresh bottle at home and was out of duty free allowance...!

Anyway, if anyone is traveling to San Juan, La Romana (Dom Rep), St Thomas, or Grand Turk, let me know and I can clue you in on the best deals.

Ed, the selection at Kmart in St Thomas was pretty weak? Prices were the best, but they only had a few bottles of Cruzan and 1 or 2 others, same with the Pueblo across the street. Wonder if they are getting out-competed by the downtown stores?

OK, hope this picture attachment works! Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rums.JPG (83.1 KB, 31 views)
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #9
Hank Koestner

Great looking bounty. Happy tasting!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

I'm glad you enjoyed your journey. Nice loot as well, the champagne bottle style Bermudez looks intriguing.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions