MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

26 years ago in 1992, Lark Distillery was established on Tasmania.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 09-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Tabuzak

Well Googling may have just answered that one for me...

The Guyana Manhattan..

1½ oz El Dorado 12-year-old rum
½ oz Carpano Antica Formula
2 dashes The Bitter Truth Aromatic Bitters
1 dash Angostura Aromatic Bitters

Stir all ingredients with ice and strain in to a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange zest twist.

http://ohgo.sh/archive/guyana-manhat...uyanaManhattan

At 3 to 1 as opposed to my 2 to 1, this may just be the answer! Sounds good!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

I always think it works well with a sherry finished rum. The PX and Oloroso finished Plantation Guatemala is amazing but equally the Doorlys XO, Zacapa or XM10 would be good.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
Tabuzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulipbartender View Post
I always think it works well with a sherry finished rum. The PX and Oloroso finished Plantation Guatemala is amazing but equally the Doorlys XO, Zacapa or XM10 would be good.
Sounds (really!) good. What proportions do you use?

I found the above (3:1) a step in the right direction for the El Dorado, but with three different sweet vermouth tries, still wanting more rum flavor.

Another way to go (for my demerara pursuit) might be to use a more aggressive Guyana rum, like one of the E D single barrels or the Plantation Guyana. Lemon Hart 151?
Old 09-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
djmont

I'm not a big fan of vermouth and rum together, whether it's a Rum Manhattan or El Presidente. The flavors don't seem to meld for me, unlike the way vermouth works with whiskey.

That being said, if you're not using at least 2:1, are you still drinking a Manhattan? Because the vermouth should be a prominent part of the drink. Or else maybe we should just drink our rum straight -- which might be preferable.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Tripdforlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabuzak View Post
Well Googling may have just answered that one for me...

The Guyana Manhattan..

1½ oz El Dorado 12-year-old rum
½ oz Carpano Antica Formula
2 dashes The Bitter Truth Aromatic Bitters
1 dash Angostura Aromatic Bitters

Stir all ingredients with ice and strain in to a cocktail glass. Garnish with an orange zest twist.

http://ohgo.sh/archive/guyana-manhat...uyanaManhattan

At 3 to 1 as opposed to my 2 to 1, this may just be the answer! Sounds good!
A very good mix indeed, but i do also prefer my cocktails 2 parts spirit to 1 part vermouth as well. Carpano Antica has become my standard vermouth over the past couple months as it is closest to original formula as we can get. ( The classics are always the best) For bitters I find The Bitter Truth very powerful and an amazing additive. I also do like orange bitters for the citrus notes it adds, depending how i want my "Manhattan" for the evening. The biggest question of course becomes what rum to use.
I sampled a great Havana Club Seleccion de Maestros last night that I feel would produce a great cocktail. Other great ones I feel that would work well would be: Mt. Gay XO, El Dorado is always good, or how about a vintage Rhum J.M. Of course the rum will really make this drink shine, and the right vermouth doesn't hurt.
Tripdforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
Tabuzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmont View Post
I'm not a big fan of vermouth and rum together, whether it's a Rum Manhattan or El Presidente. The flavors don't seem to meld for me, unlike the way vermouth works with whiskey.

That being said, if you're not using at least 2:1, are you still drinking a Manhattan? Because the vermouth should be a prominent part of the drink. Or else maybe we should just drink our rum straight -- which might be preferable.
Hey David,

If you think whiskey works well in a Manhattan, try (if you haven't already) using Rye - even better I think. I do like mixing rum with vermouth myself.

R.E. If you're not using 2:1, is it still a Manhattan? I've been thinking the same thing myself... but it won't stop me from experimenting. I can call it something else. ;-)

Cheers!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
Tabuzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripdforlife View Post
A very good mix indeed, but i do also prefer my cocktails 2 parts spirit to 1 part vermouth as well. Carpano Antica has become my standard vermouth over the past couple months as it is closest to original formula as we can get. ( The classics are always the best) For bitters I find The Bitter Truth very powerful and an amazing additive. I also do like orange bitters for the citrus notes it adds, depending how i want my "Manhattan" for the evening. The biggest question of course becomes what rum to use.
I sampled a great Havana Club Seleccion de Maestros last night that I feel would produce a great cocktail. Other great ones I feel that would work well would be: Mt. Gay XO, El Dorado is always good, or how about a vintage Rhum J.M. Of course the rum will really make this drink shine, and the right vermouth doesn't hurt.
I pulled out the Bitter Truth aromatics on my second round with this one and went with E D 15. I found the Bitter Truth aromatics a bit too strong for my taste this time.

I agree that the Carpano Antica Formula is fantatsic. There are other great vermouths out there as well, like Cocchi, Dolin and Martelletti. I am trying not to get stuck on the Carpano, but it usually winds up being my preference in these mixed drinks as well.

I am particularly interested in pursuing the Doorly's XO Manhattan mentioned before.

Cheers!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #18
Tripdforlife

Just tried a Manhattan with Smith & Cross. 2oz. Smith & Cross, 1oz. Carpano Antica, and 2 dashes Angostura bitters. I can only imagine this is how the Palmetto tasted back in the day.
Tripdforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #19
Tabuzak

Quote:
Just tried a Manhattan with Smith & Cross. 2oz. Smith & Cross, 1oz. Carpano Antica, and 2 dashes Angostura bitters. I can only imagine this is how the Palmetto tasted back in the day.
Been thinking of going there also, and so tonight...!

Ever had a Smith and Cross Negroni? - a terrific drink!

BTW, the over the top best rum Manhattan that I have stumbled on in my quest is made with the Plantation Guadeloupe 1998 - classic proportions as yours...

2 oz. Plantation Guadeloupe 1998
1 oz. Carpano Antica Formula
2 dashes Angostura Aromatic Bitters

served straight up with an orange twist
Old 09-29-2012, 06:03 PM   #20
Tabuzak

Quote:
There now.

Beautiful!

Thanks!

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums