MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

10 years ago in 2008, Montanya Distillers was established in Silverton, Colorado.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
stockdoct

Send a message via Yahoo to stockdoct
Default cayman island rum

I'm finishing my trip at the Cayman Islands and wanted to comment about the rum available here. There is certainly lots to choose from in the local liquor stores and taverns, although its VERY expensive, as is the food in restaurants, grocerys, newspapers ...... damn near everything.

The local favorite rum (or "favourite", as they spell it here) is BlackBeards rum, found in the local beach bar's house-drinks. It tastes like fuel oil to me.

Big Black Dick rum ..... I just couldn't bring myself to even try it.

Local liquor stores such as "Big Daddys" are stocked with Flur de Cana, Mount Gay Old Rum, Goslings, Ron Zacapa, etc. I've never seen such a selection, although the prices are 2-3 times as much as in Illinois. Duty-Free shopping is also available for much cheaper, but you have to promise you'll be leaving the country in 90 minutes. If you're going to consume the product in the country, you need to buy the rum in a liquor store with all applicable taxes.

The surprise I found is Tortuga rum; its wonderful. But since there are no sugarcane plantations in the Caymans, the rum is made, aged, and bottled in the West Indies. Apparently, the rum is then labeled as "from the Cayman Islands" delivered to all the duty-free shoppes in George Town. But here's the catch --- I loved the rum. Forget about the flavored rums and head directly to the Tortuga 5 year aged gold rum. It was thick, creamy smooth mouth-feel and nice rum taste with slight oakiness. Wonderful. The 12 year old rum tasted like burnt caramel; I woudn't pay extra for it.

If you happen to be in George Town, the only "rum joint" I found is Breezes, in downtown along the wharf which serves 34 selections of rum. On the menu they offer rum flights --- a tasting of 3 types of rum served in a corny wooden boat. You can choose what price level you'd like, from $12 to $45 for three shots. And when I asked to "choose my own", the bartender was knowledgeable and generous, giving me a shot of Ron Zacapa 23, Mount Gay Old Rum and Havana Club 7 year old for only $15 (a typical generic Rum Runner here costs $10-12).

I've become a Rum Bum in the Cayman Islands, but heading back home to the cornfields tomorrow. Looking forward to any comments

Mike
stockdoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:43 AM   #2
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Did it happen to be Blackbeards Reserve 26 year old? I've read the 26 year old is horrible but the 25 year old is good.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

There are several Blackbeard Rums from the Cayman Islands and Sint Maarten bottled from Jamaican, Trinidad and Guyana rums.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr
Default Tortuga Rum "from Cayman"

My understanding is that Tortuga Rums "from Cayman" are distilled and bottled in Guyana by Demerara Distillers. Tortuga 5 has earned awards in competitions in which I've been a judge.

Tortuga Rum Cakes are all the rage. Now they come in a myriad of flavors from coconut and key lime to chocolate and vanilla.

The Turks and Caicos Islands have a "local" rum named Cave which is not particularly notable, made in Dominican Republic.

Perhaps every tropical place should have rum for sale (Florida Keys have Pirate's Choice) else the tourists have nothing "authentic" to take home.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions