MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

12 years ago in 2006, Firefly Distillery LLC was established in Charleston County, South Carolina.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:05 AM   #1
jlo mein

Default Appleton Extra and Reserve

I think I asked this a long time ago on the old forum but didn't really get a response.

I was thinking of picking up one of either Extra or Reserve, but have not tasted either of them. I have tried Appleton VX and like it a lot for mixing, and sometimes sipping.

Does anyone have any opinions on both? Flavour profiles?

thanks
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
DemeraraDrinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
I think I asked this a long time ago on the old forum but didn't really get a response.

I was thinking of picking up one of either Extra or Reserve, but have not tasted either of them. I have tried Appleton VX and like it a lot for mixing, and sometimes sipping.

Does anyone have any opinions on both? Flavour profiles?

thanks
I have had Extra. I'm only part way through the bottle, so I don't have a full review done yet. But I can tell you that it is complex and intricate--there are several layers in there. The oak is quite evident. It reminds me a bit of Mt. Gay Extra Old or Cockspur 12. I'll get a review up on my site at some point.

I've got issues with the VX. It tastes reedy to me. The White is great and can be had for $8/750 mL here. Screw Bacardi.

I've never seen the Appleton Reserve. It doesn't appear on Appleton's US site, so I assume we can't get it in the States. If you taste it, let us know what you think.
DemeraraDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Hank Koestner

Post Appleton

I like the VX on the rocks, and it is my first choice for a Rum and Ginger.
You can also float some bitters on top of the rum and ginger, and sip through them. The Extra is complex and delicious, and has the robust flavor of the pot still. I have a bottle of Appleton 21 year old, and it is wonderful: smooth and layered, with the strong backbone of the pot still.
I have yet to try the white. I recommend you try the Extra neat, and then with a touch of water or a little ice.
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
The Rum Ambassador

Default Appleton Extra & Reserve

Appleton Reserve is available in the States, alas isn't over here in the UK yet. COME ON J.Wray & Nephew...get your act together.My tasting notes are lots of nutty, woody elements, a hint of raisins with a soft, creamy, mellow finish. The aroma emits honey with a hint of brown sugar, but after opening up offers spices, a hint of molasses and dried fruit.This 8 year old, is smooth, silky and mellow and ideally balanced. Ideal for mixing or sipping. The Appleton Extra (12 year old) is one of my favourite rums. With rums in this blend aging from 12 to 18 years,there is a lot of complex flavours bursting out of this rich bold & spicy, mahogany looking rum. With hints of nutmeg, orange peel, caramel and soft vanilla on the palate. The nose has a touch of alcohol (86 proof) subtly hiding the vanilla and cocoa aromas , which become more intense as the rum warms up. Pefect neat or with a few ice cubes. Better still, add a slice of orange.

UK RUMFEST...The Rum Experience
London, England
24th-25th October 2009
www.rumfest.co.uk
The Rum Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
Dood

I have not yet had a chance to sample the Reserve (can't find it anywhere here in the States and didn't pick any up in the Cook Islands when I saw a bottle), but I have had the extra.

The Extra, to me, was somewhat typical of aged rums. There's definitely more of a "bourbonish" flavoring to it than the V/X. I personally prefer the V/X, I find it to be smoother and a little less dominant in mixed drinks. The Extra does make a good sipping rum, but can overpower other flavors in anything mixed.

Your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, see box for details.

Last edited by Dood; 04-24-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
teach92651

Default Appleton Reserve

Pop's Wines and Spirits has 1 liter Appleton Reserve for $26.52, plus shipping.

http://www.popswine.com/
teach92651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
Hank Koestner

Post App. Reserve

Here in Orlando, the local liqour store chain is ABC. They have Appleton Reserve now, although is was sold out at my last visit. I will purchse a bottle of this, and taste all 4 Appleton's: V/X, Reserve, Extra, and 21 as soon as they get the reserve. This will be a fun comparison, as I have never tasted them together, just seperately.
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
DemeraraDrinker

I'll be in Tampa tomorrow. There is some big liquor mart called B-21 there. They have Appleton Extra for $19.99 and Reserve for $22.99!

Extra is $28 where I live. This rocks.
DemeraraDrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
Dood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
Here in Orlando, the local liqour store chain is ABC. They have Appleton Reserve now, although is was sold out at my last visit. I will purchse a bottle of this, and taste all 4 Appleton's: V/X, Reserve, Extra, and 21 as soon as they get the reserve. This will be a fun comparison, as I have never tasted them together, just seperately.
What sucks is that they have ABC Stores here too, but they only carry Captain, Malibu, and Bacardi. Nothing else. Lame lame lame.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
Troy

B-21 rocks. Definitely worth the stop.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions