MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

53 years ago in 1966, Suriname Alcoholic Beverages NV was established in Suriname.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Duffman

Default Looking for a hot Rum Drink Recipe

Hey all, believe it or not it is actually been getting a little chilly up here in Vancouver lately. The rum is helping out, but now I've decided to put some of my rum towards another good use and drink it warm to help take the chill out of the air.

Soooo...I'm looking for a drink recipe that includes rum (duh!), apple cider, cinnamon, cloves, etc. that is simple enough to be made on the kitchen stove, as well as portable enough to be cooked up on the Coleman stove while ice fishing.

All suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

Duff
Old 12-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

You're off to a good start with cider, cinnamon and cloves. I like to heat the non-alcoholic ingredients and then take it off the stove and add the rum so I don't loose all the alcohol.

Over a coleman stove, be careful to pour the rum into a glass and then add the rum to the hot pot. Pouring rum from a bottle over a lit stove is very dangerous. Don't do it. It can easily become a flame thrower.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
Duffman

Salient point Ed, but y'know, at that point after being out on the lake for a few hours, we may actually appreciate the occasional flame thrower!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I know it's hard to believe but I've seen a couple of serious burns when a half full bottle of rum was poured onto a flaming dessert. Sure takes the fun out of a night out.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
lperry

You can make a quick infusion of your cider by adding the spices to the container. I use allspice, cloves, cinnamon, and a little nutmeg. After a day or two, the cider will be nicely spice-infused. All you have to do is pour out what you want, heat it, put it in the mug, and add the rum. This is a nice trick for trips because it limits the amount of stuff you have to carry.
lperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:41 AM   #6
itsme_timd

I'm a little late to the game with this one but I've made a Rum Toddy before using rum in place of whiskey. The first time I made one I almost knocked myself in the floor with the strength of it - I didn't realize how much more potent alcohol is when served in a hot beverage!

My basic toddy has about 6-8 oz of water with an oz of rum, a generous squeeze of lemon and a heavy tablespoon of sugar, then I drop the lemon in the glass and add a cinnamon stick. I'm sure a variation with cider or cider and water would work as well and eliminate the need for the sugar.
itsme_timd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
Dave in the basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme_timd View Post
My basic toddy has about 6-8 oz of water with an oz of rum, a generous squeeze of lemon and a heavy tablespoon of sugar, then I drop the lemon in the glass and add a cinnamon stick. I'm sure a variation with cider or cider and water would work as well and eliminate the need for the sugar.
That sounds very good! I'll have to pick up some lemons (along with the usual limes) when I go to the store tomorrow.

Last edited by Dave in the basement; 01-22-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: I cannot conjugate verbs
Dave in the basement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Here's a video of a hot rum punch that I make for parties and I've yet to have any complaints.

Lemon is a good addition to a hot punch, sauteing the pineapple also adds a nice caramel flavor. If you can make this recipe a day in advance it is even better.
Ministry of Rum

Old 01-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
SlowRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme_timd View Post

An old thread, but I just want to say thanks for this post. I used it as my template. I settled on 2 packed teaspoons of brown sugar, the juice from 1/4 of a lemon, 1.5oz of Havana Club Anejo Especial, less than 1/4 of a cinnamon stick, and hot water to top off a 225ml mug. I’m a little generous with the sugar, otherwise the lemon makes it too sour, and I take the cinnamon stick out as soon as the Hot Toddy is cool enough to sip.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses